Iberbanda

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Axarquia
Tourist

Postby Axarquia » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:09 am

Thanks very much! The kamous particularly good. Very easy to navigate for technoplods!! :P
Sue Murray

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:16 pm

You're welcome Axarquia - glad I could be of some help.

I would also agree with Beachcomber - I wouldn't be without Spybot and Ad-Aware - they're just as important as virus protection and ZoneAlarm firewall - these are must haves!
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

colint

Postby colint » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:53 pm

there is a prob with Iberbanda as it seems to be over used up here in Almeria they use servcom and it on off all-day bit of of pain when i am using skype to talk to my customers and the line goes dead they need to upgrade there servers to cover the bandwidth i have done tests and most people get 128-200 k most days but now they are giving phones as well it will drop even more its over scribed not enough ip address to go round i blame the junta de andalucia for this as they are paying for the free connection was 150€ and its taking 4 to 5 weeks to get a box fitted
i am lucky i have wanadoo
colint

FIFI
Tourist

Postby FIFI » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:01 am

Seems to be oversubscribed here in Cadiz too. I´ve just got back online for the frirst time in 2 days. I haven´t phoned them yet, but I want to know what they are going to do about paying back some of the 39€ I´ve paid this month! If Telefonica do come along with something now, I´ll go for it. It´s no use to anyone having a system which can´t be relied on. Telefonica may have their zillions of faults, but at least, hopefully, once you´re connected, you stay connected!

surfjabroni
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby surfjabroni » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:12 pm

has anyone taken up the movistar Tarifan plana for 58 euros? If so what is the reliability, coverage, any caps on useage or data?
cheers
Andy
a bad day in the water beats a good day in the office.... nos vemos en la cresta.. xx andy

Mortgage Wizard
Tourist

Postby Mortgage Wizard » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:17 pm

Have been reading through the answers to this post, and we did think we could only get a phone line through Telefonica in Spain?

Is there a website for Iberbanda?

Are they all over Spain or just in Andalucia?

Thanks

Gill

brenda
Resident

Ibrbanda

Postby brenda » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:46 pm

Axarquia - we live by the lake and our Internet connection has been off fr past 9 days; as it is throughout the valley from Alcaucin downwards. We are in regular communication with Maria (excellent English) and have been told that major work is in hand on our local mast. She has advised us - and all our neighbours affected - to write to Madrid head office stating that we will not pay for this months rental to compensate for inconvenience. -don´t know if it will do any good but worth a try.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:36 pm

Internet access now up + running soothly again! Latest reason for lengthy shut down was Iberbanda had to find cause of problem affecting 3 local masts - say it was faulty softwear that has now been rectified. Fingers crossed that it stays on. Good + speedy today too!

Axarquia
Tourist

Re: Ibrbanda

Postby Axarquia » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:55 pm

brenda wrote:Axarquia - we live by the lake and our Internet connection has been off fr past 9 days; as it is throughout the valley from Alcaucin downwards. We are in regular communication with Maria (excellent English) and have been told that major work is in hand on our local mast. She has advised us - and all our neighbours affected - to write to Madrid head office stating that we will not pay for this months rental to compensate for inconvenience. -don´t know if it will do any good but worth a try.
Thanks for that. Ours hasn't been down for that long, but it seems to vary during the day, more often then not we get the 'this page is not available', and have to try again later, a bit frustrating when trying to run a business!!! Is Maria always in the office or only set times?
Cheers
Sue
Sue Murray

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:53 pm

We generally find it easiest to contact her 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:58 pm

A friend who works for a rival company says that Iberbanda have grossly overloaded their network by taking on too many new clients. I suppose he would say that wouldn't he but it does seem to be backed up by the facts.

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:56 pm

Not had any problems with internet connection since my last post, but still waiting to get in touch with the office in Madrid to programme our phone. Seems to be constantly on ansaphone. However, my dad has had trouble connecting and he is only up the road from us, but he does have a Mac and Iberbanda seem to be claiming it is the configuration of his Mac that is causing the problem...... don't know how true that is though...

cjbulow
Tourist

Postby cjbulow » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:26 am

Beachcomber wrote:A friend who works for a rival company says that Iberbanda have grossly overloaded their network by taking on too many new clients. I suppose he would say that wouldn't he but it does seem to be backed up by the facts.
Actually, an Iberbanda reseller conifrmed the same thing Beach. He's more than a little annoyed as his business plan goes out of the window when contracts he makes are let down by Iberbanda's actions (or lack thereof).
Regds

Chris Bulow
callto://cjbulow

surfjabroni
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby surfjabroni » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:32 am

anyone have any success with Iberbanda or equivalent in the chiclana area?
thanks
Andy
a bad day in the water beats a good day in the office.... nos vemos en la cresta.. xx andy

Pentaqua

Iberbanda

Postby Pentaqua » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:28 pm

Tue true cjbulow .....

still waiting for Iberbanda to pull their fingers out after some 6 months -

... oh that there was an alternative (since Telefonica are nowehere near us)

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:14 pm

I downloaded an e-book from get Spain info and they suggested burnside telecom . com.
It's a fixed cellular terminal that provides phone, sms text,email & internet access at any location within GSM / GPRS mobile networks. Using a moviestar sim gives GSM telephony and GPRS data. Apparently you can wire it up to your alarm system and if it goes off it will send you a text.
Has anyone tried this system?

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:20 pm

Thanks - I just e-mailed them for more information, so I'll report back when I hear from them.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:45 pm

kal111 wrote:I downloaded an e-book from get Spain info and they suggested burnside telecom . com.
It's a fixed cellular terminal that provides phone, sms text,email & internet access at any location within GSM / GPRS mobile networks. Using a moviestar sim gives GSM telephony and GPRS data. Apparently you can wire it up to your alarm system and if it goes off it will send you a text.
Has anyone tried this system?
I think you will find that this is the same set up as the TRAC 2 digital system from Telefónica except that you do not have a provincial telephone number and calls are charged at the same rate as mobile calls.

I have three friends with alarms connected to a central station with this system using a Tyco TGSM-Link cellular terminal. You are not restricted to Movistar as it works just as well with Vodafone or Amena but trying to connect to the internet with it, whatever the operator, is a nightmare.

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:37 pm

This is a case study given on burnside telecom . com. It gives a bit more info. -

Telephony and 768kbps Broadband Internet Access at any location in Europe without landlines.

Janet and Peter have just decided to buy a house in Spain. The problem is that like most new out of town houses it has no landlines. So the only way they can telephone is to use their mobile phone. Even though they can use their mobile connected to their computer for emails and internet access it is complicated to set up, very slow on GSM networks at 9600bps and quite expensive at speeds of up to 60kpbs on GPRS networks particularly for downloading large files. They also discovered that their mobile phone did not work reliably inside the house as they were in a poor signal area.

What they needed was the equivalent of house phone that anybody could use but that would also give them low cost but high-speed broadband access. Fortunately for them their estate agency had just heard about the new Desktop Mobile from Burnside Telecom Ltd.

This new ‘fixed cellular terminal’ provides telephone, SMS text, email and Internet access at any location within GSM/GPRS mobile networks. All they needed to do was to insert their mobile SIM into the Desktop Mobile and connect an ordinary house telephone. So they purchased a Moviestar SIM from Telefonica giving them GSM telephony and GPRS data. They then connected three ordinary house phones located in different rooms. The antenna supplied with the Desktop Mobile produced a much better signal than their handheld mobile and they were able to locate the antenna for strongest signal using the in built signal strength meter.

All they had to do now was to pick up a handset and dial just as they used to do on their home phone in England. They could even compose send and receive SMS text messages using the display on the Desktop Mobile.

Their estate agent had also told them about the Broadsat one way satellite broadband internet service at only €189year. So to connect to this they had to buy a 60cm satellite dish which was pointed at the Eutelsat satellite located at 7 degrees east. The dish had then to be connected to their computer via a Digital Video Broadcast [DVB] box using the USB connection. So this provided a downlink connection at browsing speeds of 768 kbps and high speed file downloads at 2Mbps. To establish an uplink connection they used their Burnside box in GPRS mode. Since uplink data is primarily from keyboard or email sending this turned out to be very economical as the charge is based on amount of data sent and not on connect minutes as GSM calls are. Even though they were on the Internet the Desktop Mobile could still be used to make and receive phone calls.

To complete their communication system they also decided to connect their Burnside unit to their alarm system so that if their alarm were activated they would receive an immediate SMS text message. When Pete has got more time he’s also going to set up the Burnside Desktop Mobile so that he can send it a text message to turn on his garden sprinkler system.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.
Kal

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:40 am

The one-way satellite system is a real devil to setup and very flaky in operation. I'd be very interested to actually go and visit these happy customers and see how it really works. Judging from the 60cm dish, I think they must be in northern Spain.
Slainte,
JohnP.