Iberbanda

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:50 am

And the cellular terminal certainly appears to be the one I described.

The one used by Telefónica is made by Ericsson but there are other manufacturers.

They cost about €400 which is why it is difficult to persuade Telefónica to install one.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:28 am

That's cheap - I got a quote of around 1,000 euros for the burnside one.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Pentaqua

Iberbanda

Postby Pentaqua » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:17 pm

Will the Burnside one really support effective (and cost-effective) internet connection?

Or is it the satellite route? What are the alternatives since Iberbanda seemt o take ages to sort themselves out and Telefonica aren't interested ....

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:53 pm

Alternatives depend on your situation. If you have a telephone line, or an ADSL possibility, or line-of-sight to a satellite. There are many comvbinations of possibilities, and all of them have both advantages and disadvantages.
One thing is for sure - you get what you pay for. Cheap is usually a poor service.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:02 pm

This is the model I am talking about and this site gives more comprehensive specifications. Internet dial-up connection is possible but it is very hit and miss and very slow.

There is also this model which has a higher specification and costs a little more. Bear in mind that these are UK web sites and the prices are in sterling.

Ask Burnside for the specifications of their product and compare it (and the prices) with these.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:31 pm

My apologies, this is the model I meant to give the link to. The F250M is for private branch exchanges. The F251M is slightly more expensive than the F221M and both claim to allow internet access.

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:10 pm

Hello all,

Iberbanda came to our village yesterday to bring us news that the wonder of broadband is now within our grasp. I have an absolutely awful dial-up connection with Telefonica that cuts off willy-nilly so that every task takes twice as long as it should. It's driving me mad. The comments on this thread suggest that it may not be worth the extra money to sign up with Iberbanda. Any other ideas for improving the service I'm getting at present? I also make quite a lot of international calls, so any recommendations for decent internet connection and cheap calls to UK/USA would be MOST appreciated.

Cheers,

Kelly

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:06 pm

Although I have made negative comment about Iberbanda you should not dismiss the possibility of contracting them for your ADSL. They recognised that they were overloading their infrastructure and promised to bring it up to scratch.

Once you get a reasonably good ADSL connection you should be able to use a VOIP provider like Skype or Sipgate to make calls to most of Europe and the USA for less than €0,02 /two centimos) per minute to landlines and €0,18 to €0,25 to mobiles.

Although I have landline ADSL with Telefónica I have a friend who uses Skype on the Everbit ADSL wireless network which is located in Alora. See here for Skype rates.

surfjabroni
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby surfjabroni » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi I live outside of Chiclana de la frontera with no near future chance of phone line. I contacted aviandalucia.com and they have no coverage for Chiclana or the near area.... so if there is anyone else who lives in the vacinity who is in the same boat, may i suggest you contact them as well to get things moving...
thanks
here are the details
[email protected]
902 014 674
a bad day in the water beats a good day in the office.... nos vemos en la cresta.. xx andy

Blue tone
Tourist

Postby Blue tone » Wed May 24, 2006 11:28 am

Just movingto Madreguiras (near Algodonales), although currently in Algodonales whilst the builders are reforming. Iberbanda supply Algodonales with a shared wifi broadband and out to the campo where people don't have a landline.

We've noticed, like others have commented on, that the Iberbanda connection quality is variable. That prompted me to do some network checks - speed and traceroute - as we need a good and consistent high speed connection for our work.

What I've found - and I'm not a network engineer so some of the data I have doesn't mean that much to me - is that there is a very high packet loss within Iberbanda itself before and at the point where it then links out to a Cogent p2p pipe/backbone. (The links to this point by the way are pc>router>town>unidentified private server>unidentified private server>Iberbanda client 1>Iberbanda client 2>Iberbanda client 3*>Cogent p2p*> etc. They use this pipe to very often then transmit to the US before returning the stream back to a European endpoint. My understanding is that Avired/Iberbanda are part financed by Cogent and so using Cogent's backbone helps Iberbanda reduce their costs. Cogent are a major supplier of bandwidth/internet p2p backbone.)

Now as I understand things a large packet loss (and its 60-90% at Iberbanda client 3>Cogent p2p hop for us) will result in dropped connections, slow downs in speed and so on. (Basically upto 90% of the data is lost and so the connection is refused. The info has to be sent again - with a high chance of losing it again and so on.) This appears as a slow connection and/or pages will not load and/or you lose the connection repeatedly.

I emailed Iberbanda a few days ago to ask about this and what could be done but have had no response as yet.

I should say that others may have different reasons for slowdowns etc on Iberbanda but you may want to run some form of traceroute to find out. If you have the same issue as us the I would recommend contacting Iberbanda and ask them to sort it out as the packet loss occurs in their server/s and should be a concern for them.

Best,
Tony

ps anyone who wants to run a check - there is a trial version (15days free use) of a piece of software called visualtrace (google it for a link) that will traceroute for you. I use the netstat from the commandline though.