Iberbanda

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Axarquia
Tourist

Iberbanda

Postby Axarquia » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:03 pm

Living in the campo we were really pleased to be able to have internet via Iberbanda. Was installed in January this year. To begin with was excellent, no problem connecting and always 'quick', (don't know the proper technical terms as bit of a techno plod)! But over the last couple of months been experiencing loads of problems, 5o% of the time can't get connected, 'This page unavailable etc', and when do get connected, trying to get emails up is unbelievably slow! We live between Velez-Malaga and Vinuela, is anyone else experiencing similar problems?
Sue
Sue Murray

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:45 pm

Have you tried contacting their customer services. They are usually very helpful but I'm not sure if they have English speakers.

Axarquia
Tourist

Postby Axarquia » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:42 am

Hi Beachcomber, Yes we have contacted customer services as they do have someone who speaks English (after 4.00pm). He said he'd look into it and phone back. He must have done something as can usually get connections now, but on the email side it is still incredibly slow, no matter what time of day! he has not phoned back yet!
Sue Murray

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:14 pm

I use Iberbanda with reasonable success. What e-mail system are you using - is it Iberbanda's own, or are you trying to connect to a seperate service? Sometimes that makes a difference. The speed varies a lot, depending on time of day, etc. I have seen it slower than the old mobile phone connection I used to use, but it generally picks up again after ten minutes or so. Probably when the person downloading a video has finished ;-)
Slainte,
JohnP.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:07 pm

Have you checked your connection speed?

I am meeting with an installer from Iberbanda on Monday as they are doing an installation for a friend.

I will see if he can tell me what is going on!

Axarquia
Tourist

Postby Axarquia » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:22 am

Thanks Beachcomber will be interesting to hear his comments! When we applied in Dec were told that they would be improving the speed. On their leaflet says 'from 256 kbps up to 4 Mbps', and at first everything was literally instant. But over last 2 months has got slower and slower, regardless of time of day, no different even at 6.00am when don't think many sane people would be at their key board!!
Cheers
Sue
Sue Murray

Axarquia
Tourist

Postby Axarquia » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:29 am

jpinks wrote:I use Iberbanda with reasonable success. What e-mail system are you using - is it Iberbanda's own, or are you trying to connect to a seperate service? Sometimes that makes a difference. The speed varies a lot, depending on time of day, etc. I have seen it slower than the old mobile phone connection I used to use, but it generally picks up again after ten minutes or so. Probably when the person downloading a video has finished ;-)
Thanks Jpinks, We use AOL & Yahoo which would be difficult to change as run tourism business, and is on all the publicity material. Have you had to wait for about 10 mins for mail to 'open' etc? Is it because more and more people are using Iberbanda now? If so does that mean will get even more slower?
Sue
Sue Murray

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:01 am

The speeds given on their leaflet are what you can contract for. The basic service is 256kbps for €39 per month and you can pay more to get up to 4mbps.

When I contacted them the other day they said they were now supplying 512kbps for €39 in this area but I am not sure if that applies everywhere.

When I asked about checking your speed I meant have you actually carried out a speed test. You can do so here. Just click on 'test de velocidad' and it will show you the actual speed at which you are connected at that moment.

Note that you can only access their site by using IE. It will not work with Firefox.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:16 am

Axarquia wrote:Thanks Jpinks, We use AOL & Yahoo which would be difficult to change as run tourism business, and is on all the publicity material. Have you had to wait for about 10 mins for mail to 'open' etc? Is it because more and more people are using Iberbanda now? If so does that mean will get even more slower?
Sue
Short answer - yes.

Long answer -
I believe it is because of the massive uptake of the Iberbanda service, thereby increasing the contention ratios considerably. The basic service I subscribe to is promoted as 200kbs dsl but the contention is declared as up to 10:1, so I coud be running at 20kbs - not very fast at all - and the contention ratio might be higher now - they have a clause in the contract which allows them to change that without telling me. But the slow-downs are also due to lots of other issues, like the scarcity of IP addresses in Iberbanda's block which makes it difficult to actually get on-line sometimes, and the usual cheap and cheerful routing that ISP's use, which is always the first to get "traffic-jams" (usually around Frankurt and Amsterdam). This usually is not crucial if you are just e-mailing and doing some casual browsing, but it feels like a step back in time to dial-up speeds.

Your specific problems with Yahoo and AOL (Hotmail as well) are a combination of those factors, plus a general slow-down in all these bulk mail providers due to volume of clients, and the amount of spam they are having to filter (about 95% of all e-mails are spam). They now have so many clients and sucj a high volume of unfiltered mail to sift through that they are struggling to keep a decent service, which is why most people are moving away from the free mail services. Besides - any business worth e-mailing will have an individual e-mail address. PM me for more info on alternatives if you like, and how to keep your current e-mail addresses but make your mail more accessible.
Slainte,
JohnP.

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:07 pm

Just a thought - is your system clogged up with adware? as this really slows my system down. Try going to download.com and download the ad-aware se personnel. Run the scan and then delete any ads that come up. I do this 2-3 times a week and it seems to speed things up.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:38 pm

I also have Spybot and Spyware Blaster installed as well as Ad-ware because one may find what the other misses and vice-versa.

Your system can also be slowed down by intrusive Macromedia Flash ads on certain sites. That's one reason why I use Firefox as you can block Macromedia and just click of the resultant 'F' if you want to view it.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:17 pm

kal111 wrote:Just a thought - is your system clogged up with adware?......
Very good point - I tend to forget some of the vulnerabilities Windows has - being a linux user ;-)
Beachcomber wrote:Note that you can only access their site by using IE. It will not work with Firefox.
I have been complaining long and hard to them about this, but no success yet. I will post the alternative speed check webpage as soon as possible.
Slainte,
JohnP.

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:58 pm

We got connected with Iberbanda about 4 weeks ago - God I missed surfing the net! So far we've not had any problems. We have it on practically 24/7 and talk to family through MSN and using webcams etc. and we even listen to our local radio station in Manchester, and we got a mention last week on it! However, Iberbanda did say that we would have a phone as well, but so far nothing has happened, but when we can communicate via MSN it's not really a problem. We were going to get a phone with Telefonica but they said we needed a pole and it could take up to 3 months, so we didn't bother. Then lo and behold, the day that Iberbanda came, we got a call from Telefonica saying they could wire up to the pole below, but it was too late as we had sorted with Iberbanda. I suppose that's Spain for you, but at least I have Internet connection which was more important than a phone.

FIFI
Tourist

Postby FIFI » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:49 pm

Interesting comments. I got conected last week to Iberbanda through Aviandalucia and everything was brilliant up until last night. All today, I have been getting Cannot Find Server, yet the pop up window shows the connection is there. I'm back on the old faithful laptop with Vodaphone access now, and I don't think I'll be cancelling it to soon after this. I was all ready to tell Telefonica where to go, but I think if they do come along with something, I'll be taking it. Can't afford to have something so unreliable as this has turned out to be. My phone connection is fine, just no internet. See what you can come up with tomorrow, Beachcomber.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:50 pm

Check out the other thread about Skype. That way you can make telephone calls as well without paying Iberbanda's €10 per month fee.

Axarquia
Tourist

Postby Axarquia » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:16 pm

Beachcomber wrote:The speeds given on their leaflet are what you can contract for. The basic service is 256kbps for €39 per month and you can pay more to get up to 4mbps.

When I contacted them the other day they said they were now supplying 512kbps for €39 in this area but I am not sure if that applies everywhere.

When I asked about checking your speed I meant have you actually carried out a speed test. You can do so here. Just click on 'test de velocidad' and it will show you the actual speed at which you are connected at that moment.

Note that you can only access their site by using IE. It will not work with Firefox.
Have just tried what you suggested and this is what came up. As you can see it says 512 but the 'thermometre' bit says 182, which one is the actual connection speed?

Su test ha finalizado con éxito.
Por favor, compruebe la velocidad de transferencia de información de su acceso a Internet en el cuadro de la derecha. En la gráfica, el test muestra un indicador de capacidad hasta 4Mbps. Su velocidad aparecerá marcada en color, según el resultado obtenido.

¿Desea saber como se ha realizado el test?

Más información sobre el Servicio de Acceso a Internet de Alta Velocidad de Iberbanda

Solicite más información sobre nuestros productos y servicios

Repetir test de velocidad

Datos del test
Tamaño de la descarga

512 Kbytes
Tiempo de descarga

22.953 seg.
Velocidad kBytes/seg.

Velocidad Kbps

Indicador de velocidad

4Mbps
-

-
4Mbps
-
-
-

2Mbps
-
-
-
2Mbps

-
-
-

1.5Mbps
-
-
-
Ancho de

-
-
-
Banda de
1Mbps
-
-
-
Iberbanda

-
-
-

500Kbps
-
-
-

-
-
-
256 Kbps
200Kbps
-
-
-

-
-
-

100Kbps
-
-
-
RDSI

60Kbps
-
-
-
RDSI

40Kbps
-
-
-

20Kbps
-
-
-
Sue Murray

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:33 pm

When I had 256 kbps with Telefónica my test usually showed a connection speed of about 212 and since they upgraded their basic service to 512kbps I connect at about 430.

182kbps does seem rather low for a 512 service. They have delayed the installation for my friend until this afternoon but I will ask the installer about this when we meet.

Axarquia
Tourist

Postby Axarquia » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:04 pm

Thanks Beachcomber. Am also trying the other suggestions re adware, but being a 'technoplod' it's doing my head in trying to understand the instructions, and the techno abbreviations they use. Is there a site which explains what these abreviations mean in laymans terms?
Sue Murray

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:12 pm

Is there a site which explains what these abreviations mean in laymans terms?

try my current new favourite

e-consultancy dot com

its like learning a new language :twisted:

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:52 pm

Since I gave up hope I feel much better!