rhd car

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Both of mine are original Spanish vehicles, not imports. The one purchased, and originally registered, in Madrid (the furgoneta/mixta) has four seats and the one in Málaga has five.

Over to you.

pathfinder spain
Tourist

Postby pathfinder spain » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:44 pm

As we all know, this process is never clear (as with most paper chases) and it really does come down to who you get and it what area you try to register the 4x4. If you follow the law then a 4x4 is classed as a commercial vehicle though some civil servants/mechanics may not be aware of this.

good luck
danny

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:58 am

Beachcomber wrote:Both of mine are original Spanish vehicles, not imports. The one purchased, and originally registered, in Madrid (the furgoneta/mixta) has four seats and the one in Málaga has five.

Over to you.
I'm beaten on this one Beach.
I was assured by the guys at the ITV station that it was all to do with the number of seats.... Just who can you believe ? :(
Slainte,
JohnP.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:18 am

pathfinder spain wrote:As we all know, this process is never clear (as with most paper chases) and it really does come down to who you get and it what area you try to register the 4x4. If you follow the law then a 4x4 is classed as a commercial vehicle though some civil servants/mechanics may not be aware of this.
good luck
There has to be a better definition than simply 4x4 surely? My car has four wheel drive but there is no way it could be classified as a commercial vehicle.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:38 am

This 4x4 thing is a red herring. Vehicles are either classified for private use or for commercial/agricultural use etc.

Nowhere in the ITV regulations does it even mention a 4x4.

No doubt it is entirely possible that some 4x4s have been classified as commercial, either because of the number of seats or other factors but it is quite wrong to suggest that all 4x4s would be classified as commercial.

An increasing number of "normal" cars now have 4 wheel drive - even the lowly Fiat Panda comes in a 4wd version not to mention all those sportscars and Audi Quattros.

Sid

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:56 am

Cid - that makes more sense.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:01 pm

This has left me baffled, I've got a LHD 4x4 with 7 seats, it's classed as private use vehicle. We had no problems getting onto Spanish plates & it passed it's ITV. The car came with us from the Middle East to UK, was then registered on UK plates, then we put it on Spanish plates. The only thing that didn't comply was the tow bar because it was too high. Best thing was renewing the insurance, a mere €399 fully comp!!! - What a surprise.

A question though, if a UK plated car has an ITV, but no "UK road tax" but has insurance papers, is the insurance valid?? :?

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:05 pm

poshtotti wrote:A question though, if a UK plated car has an ITV, but no "UK road tax" but has insurance papers, is the insurance valid?? :?
Check the small print of the insurance, or ask their agent (in writing of course), but I reckon the answer will be no.
Slainte,
JohnP.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:31 pm

poshtotti wrote:This has left me baffled, I've got a LHD 4x4 with 7 seats, it's classed as private use vehicle. We had no problems getting onto Spanish plates & it passed it's ITV.
For ITV purposes a tourismo can have upto 9 seats. Beyond that is would be classed as a minibus.

With respect to a driving licence, a minibus has more than 8 seats.

Confused?

Sid

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:04 pm

The ITV include the drivers seat and the licence says "passenger seats"
Slainte,
JohnP.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:07 pm

For Spain, that's a desperately simple and logical explanation!

Thanks.

Sid

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:16 pm

Yes - there's always some sort of logic to things - it's just a question of finding it :)
Slainte,
JohnP.

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Sat May 03, 2008 5:25 pm

my brother in law is looking at buying a rhd spanish reg car (he spends a quite a while in uk and has more need for overtaking there than on the quiet autovia here, hence rhd). his only query is what about when he wants to sell it again.are there any garages that will take it? he didnt really want to buy a rhd english reg as he is in spain about 8 months of the year.
i have searched on here but cannot find an answer.