Life in Andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Life in Andalucia

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:41 am

Hi

We are planning to move to Andalucia, around Competa or Sayalonga, in 18 months to 2 years time. I would like to establish a email correspondence with someone in the area to get a feeling for the pace of life and what goes on week by week. Anyone got the time?

Steve
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:21 am

Just hang in here and read about all the fun of living in Andalucia. Don't be fooled by the tags on peoples ID's here - "Resident" merely means that they have posted more than 100 (I think) times, and "Andalucian Guru" is awarded to anyone who posts more than 200 (I think). Better to see where the people actually live, and if they don't say - it's probably because they don't live in Andalucia at all - so you can ignore them :)
Slainte,
JohnP.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:01 pm

We are genuine residents (!) living at Los Romanes some 20 minutes drive from Sayalonga and 40 minutes from Competa. Would gladly answer any queries to the best of my ability if you would like to email me.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:41 pm

Resident" merely means that they have posted more than 100 (I think) times, and "Andalucian Guru" is awarded to anyone who posts more than 200
Hey jpinks thought you would be a guru with your 201 messages then!!

kexon
Resident

Life in Andalucia

Postby kexon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:51 pm

Hi there
We lived in Competa for two years, so I can give you my impressions for what its worth.
If you speak to some of the people who have lived there for 10 years + you will hear stories of how it used to be a traditional vllage with donkeys where the car park now stands. Since it has had a corr**t major for more years than people can remember new building has sprung up not only in the campo but all around the village. The municipal swimming pool had sprung a leak and has'nt been fixed as far as we are aware since 2001. The road up to Competa from Algorobo used to be the better of the two roads up to Competa the other starting at Torrox. The algorobo road collapsed due to the heavy lorries that go up and down the mountain to the quarry, it has been repaired to my knowledge. But is now subject to land slides form earth moved to make way for new buildings along the road.
The Torrox to Competa road was suitable 2001-2003 for the most robust four wheel drive vehicle, some of the pot holes have to be seen to be believed, and even the most careful driver has to have a mental map of where they are especially at night.
I have had first hand knowledge of peoples villas sliding down the mountain side after the winter storms.
And whilst I mention the winter storms wehad to keep a constant eye on the weather both night and day, bringing in pot plants, patio furniture and anything else weighing less than the car. If you don't they vanish never to be seen again, even porches have been known to be deposited in swimming pools hundreds of yards away.
It is not all bad news the summers can be nice, the villagers are very welcoming, although a few were starting to grumble about the number of English in the village.
Hope this helps

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:29 pm

lis48 wrote:Hey jpinks thought you would be a guru with your 201 messages then!!
That was a guess on my part - obviously wrong :(
Slainte,
JohnP.

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:29 am

jpinks wrote:Just hang in here and read about all the fun of living in Andalucia. Don't be fooled by the tags on peoples ID's here - "Resident" merely means that they have posted more than 100 (I think) times, and "Andalucian Guru" is awarded to anyone who posts more than 200 (I think). Better to see where the people actually live, and if they don't say - it's probably because they don't live in Andalucia at all - so you can ignore them :)
I recognise that bitterness, pinks. I'm happy to say that I don't share it.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:33 am

I recognise that bitterness, pinks. I'm happy to say that I don't share it.[/quote]

I share that feeling and view mike, until the forum administrators decides that you have to live in andalucia to be a member I shall carry on.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:09 pm

No bitterness at all here - just a simple explanation of how things appear to work. I was wrong about the 200 posts to achieve "Guru" status - it must be 250.
Slainte,
JohnP.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:34 pm

jpinks wrote:No bitterness at all here - just a simple explanation of how things appear to work. I was wrong about the 200 posts to achieve "Guru" status - it must be 250.
If you are a nice, honest and helpful Andalucian resident who is willing to give people advice on this forum - surely you would take the two minutes trouble to let us know where you live. Otherwise it might be presumptive of you to think that we are going to take you very seriously.
Just hang in here and read about all the fun of living in Andalucia. Don't be fooled by the tags on peoples ID's here - "Resident" merely means that they have posted more than 100 (I think) times, and "Andalucian Guru" is awarded to anyone who posts more than 200 (I think). Better to see where the people actually live, and if they don't say - it's probably because they don't live in Andalucia at all - so you can ignore them
If there isn't any bitterness jp you must certainly be an 'I live in Spain' snob, or an Andalucia residents association elitist.

Many of us have owned property in Spain for many years, we understand the pitfalls etc in buying, we know the areas etc so can offer advice which is just as valid as that from the resident 'bar-flys'.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:37 pm

Don't be fooled by the tags on peoples ID's here - "Resident" merely means that they have posted more than 100 (I think) times, and "Andalucian Guru"
These "tags" refer to the amount of post on this web, not to Andalucia.
Steve&Yvonne..keep looking, cos if kexon advice is good, there are better places around....where, depends on what you like, what you are like, if you need to work and how much money you have.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:32 pm

What has attracted you to the Competa area if you don't mind me asking?

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:08 pm

spanish hopes wrote:I recognise that bitterness, pinks. I'm happy to say that I don't share it.
I share that feeling and view mike, until the forum administrators decides that you have to live in andalucia to be a member I shall carry on.[/quote]

No offence Spanish, but a simple question, what do you feel you have to offer this forum if you dont spend at least 3-4 months here per year, what I mean is what local knowledge and experience can you offer that we should be listening to, forgive my scepticism but you've stated that you don't live in Spain so what can you give us to make your postings credible, given that you're not (geographically) resident here!!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:15 pm

Do YOU LIVE in spain Stan? You have plenty to say about everything so I assume that you must.
I have owned in Spain for over 20 years now and spend months at a time there but I am not a resident.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:21 pm

Well, Well Stanley, I see you have your location down as Cheshire. Which part of Andalucia is that in? Or is your typically snide little posting re residence just another of your pathetic little jibes? What was that you (more than once) said about shooting and feet?
You jump around this forum giving your 'Expert'views and advice from your cosy little bedsit in Cheshire and then abuse anyone else who contributes but is not actually resident.
I bet you were very popular in the potato census brigade.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:52 pm

spanish hopes wrote:Well, Well Stanley, I see you have your location down as Cheshire. Which part of Andalucia is that in? Or is your typically snide little posting re residence just another of your pathetic little jibes? What was that you (more than once) said about shooting and feet?
You jump around this forum giving your 'Expert'views and advice from your cosy little bedsit in Cheshire and then abuse anyone else who contributes but is not actually resident.
I bet you were very popular in the potato census brigade.
Spanish I have owned property in Spain for many years, my question to you what do you have to offer us in the way of localknowledge, nothing more, what do potatoes have to do with anything, apart from exposing yourself as a potato gourmet!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:57 pm

what local knowledge and experience can you offer
Most of the posts I see are from those asking questions.
You jump around this forum giving your 'Expert'views and advice
I think this goes for most of us...and the rest are free to take it or leave it.
abuse anyone else who contributes
Quite a few do this, but others should take it with a bit of salt.
so what can you give us to make your postings credible, given that you're not (geographically) resident here!!
Sometime its easier from the outside looking in. A lot of the posts are DIY questions, others computer, ect..You dont need to be (geographically) resident to ask or answer a post.
I live in Spain' snob
A snobs a snob wherever he/she lives.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:23 pm

Spanish I have owned property in Spain for many years, my question to you what do you have to offer us in the way of localknowledge, nothing more, what do potatoes have to do with anything, apart from exposing yourself as a potato gourmet!
No offence Spanish, but a simple question, what do you feel you have to offer this forum if you dont spend at least 3-4 months here per year, what I mean is what local knowledge and experience can you offer that we should be listening to, forgive my scepticism but you've stated that you don't live in Spain so what can you give us to make your postings credible, given that you're not (geographically) resident here!!

If you bothered to read my postings stanley you will see that 'LIKE YOU' I have owned for many tears. What I have to offer is no more and no less than any other owner. If you continue to attack me at every oportunity I will respond at all times.
You have no more reason to have more acceptable local or other knowledge than anyone else on here and in fact on many occasions your expert offerings have been shot down in flames. However you continue to put your little piece in to almost every subject, not always helpfully either.
When you actually move to Spain and become a resident then perhaps your condemnation of others who are in a similar position to yourself may be more credible.
The reference to potatoes is simply to remind everyone of your vast experience in the civil service which obviously gives you expertise on everything.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:49 pm

spanish hopes and stantheman
You both have a lot in common and could become good friends....why not give it a try.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:22 pm

going back to the original question
We are planning to move to Andalucia, around Competa or Sayalonga
Questions like this will/could attract "agents" or other "non agents getting commission on the side" who are going to "help" you.
18 months to 2 years time.
You have time..use it to do independent searches
get a feeling for the pace of life and what goes on week by week
there are on line versions of free local English papers which will inform of whats on..and local news to keep you up dated..the pace is what YOU want it to be. there is a place for everyone.
Things to take into account..
Property prices..children..language..health..income...food...comuting...personal values and hobbies...visitors.