What a lovely day

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
silver
Andalucia Guru

What a lovely day

Postby silver » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:52 am

Bright blue sky, sunshine and a cool breeze in Andalucia. Its so nice living here.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:02 am

Where do you live Silver and what do you think the temperature will get up to today? I live right in the middle of the UK and it's grey and chilly (13c) just like it was yesterday and the day before that and the day before that......Might just have to get those thick socks and jumpers out!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:12 am

Costa del Sol..27º daytime 17º night
Wish you were here.
It is bright..the kind of day that make you feel happy to be alive.
The brightness is one of the things I appreciate most it keeps away that SAD syndrome so common in darker lands.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:21 am

Oh how true! I suffer badly with SADS (or is that sadly with BADS?) every winter and it's one of the many reasons we are escaping to Spain - not forgetting of course the yob culture, the rising fuel bills etc. etc.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:51 am

soon to be Coin...Coin does have a higher altitude than the Costa del Sol and therefore is colder at night than the coast...but the sky is blue and the days are bright and the sun shines for most of the year just like the coast...but we do need the rain..so when it does rain it is welcomed.. I´m sure you will love it.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:56 am

Temperature in coin last winter- 6 deg. day 0 night!! don't forget to bring those socks with you!!!

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:57 am

But was the sun shining? :lol:

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:59 am

I'm amazed it took so long for a member of the happy gang to comment.

Mhic.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:12 am

Well it would be a dull life if we all had the same views!!! and yes it had lots of blue skies just very cold and windy. Compared to the 2 previous winters, which where windiest for years followed by wettest in years, then last winter driest bust most definitely coldest FOR YEARS !! I believe that they had the snow ploughs out round coin.
I agree with silver about today though, it's a beautiful day one of the best days since June.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:22 am

So I'd better bring sunglasses, a sledge and a kite then! :wink:

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:37 am

I live right in the middle of the UK and it's grey and chilly (13c) just like it was yesterday and the day before that and the day before that......Might just have to get those thick socks and jumpers out!
Your post surprised me Redsox, because its good weather where I am in the North. Maybe you live in a meteorological bubble, but checking on bbc.co.uk the weather in Northampton is sunny spells max 21 min 11. It will continue like this all week with possibility of showers on Friday. Not scorching Spanish heat by any means but not chilly by any means.
Ok, so you have made the decision to quit Britain, but you dont have to exagerate the weather conditions to convince yourself that you have made the right decision. A bit more honesty on this forum, would not go amiss.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:38 am

yeh bring sunglasses, a kite then! but dont expect to be able to use the sledge much (unless you pop up to Sierra Nevada in Granada less than 90mins drive) because I believe for most living natives of Coin it was the first time they have seen snow. Everyone knows that the sun does not shine EVERY day of the year...but % of sunny day is very high...if anyone needs more there is always the equator.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:52 am

redsoxbrit, I wouldn't bother with the sledge, and it may get too windy for the kite, but warm clothes are a better bet, I don't write comments to be controversial but to tell it as I've experienced it .
People would have us believe it's shorts and tee shirt weather over winter, but the only people I've seen doing this have been the Brits, fresh off a plane from UK. The Spanish look at these people as if they are mad!!! You have to remember that once you are here full time you acclimatise and will feel the cold in just the same way as you would back in the UK, it's not possible to go from 45 deg. down to 6 deg. without feeling very cold. I have a Summer and Winter wardrobe (as do the Spanish) just the same as I did in the UK. I've yet to see a Spaniard strolling round town in shorts and tee-shirt in winter but it is possible on sunny days to find a nice sheltered spot and sit for 2 or 3 hours in shirt sleeves, which is impossible to do in the UK.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:49 pm

Sorry kevin77, I must have got it wrong (why are my toes turning blue?)Yes indeed BBC.co.uk tells me that it really is 21c (hang on, I need to put a light on) with sunny spells (I must have blinked) so who am I to argue with the great Oracle? I'm not in Northampton, I'm in NE Northamptonshire where it is cold and grey enough not to need to exaggerate!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:58 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:redsoxbrit, I wouldn't bother with the sledge, and it may get too windy for the kite, but warm clothes are a better bet, I don't write comments to be controversial but to tell it as I've experienced it .
Lorraine, you seem to be a lone, honest voice out there, you tell it like I remember it. As for idiots telling us you can sit out in t shirts all winter, (-15) he'd be better employed joining the SAS, they need hard men like him! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:59 pm

kevin
A bit more honesty on this forum, would not go amiss.
Thats funny..coming from you.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:06 pm

I'm in NE Northamptonshire where it is cold and grey
Its a massive county Northants with vast variations in temperature! Kid yourself if you want.
Thats funny..coming from you.
I do tell the truth Silver, which is what people like you dont want to hear.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:14 pm

he'd be better employed joining the SAS, they need hard men like him!
Hes retired, dont forget!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:27 pm

people like you don't want to hear
Do trees lie too then...go on go outdoors and tell me ..how many orange, lemon, avocado and banana trees palms etc etc you can see (if its not foggy today)...WHAT..you cant see any...well they do need sunshine don't they.... it is a FACT that we have better weather here than you do in UK.. trying to impose your theory that UK weather is unbeatable is a bit silly....after all..we have all experienced it ourselves.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:54 pm

it is a FACT that we have better weather here than you do in UK.. trying to impose your theory that UK weather is unbeatable is a bit silly....after all..we have all experienced it ourselves.
Nobody is saying that you dont have better winters in Spain, the UK winter would kill your orange tree here! I think you are probably in the best place in winter. What I ,for one, am saying is that the summers in Southern Spain are just not comfortable and even border on the unhealthy. What is happening on this forum is that people like you do not have the honesty to admit that this is a fact. What or who are you trying to convince? Everybody knows its true. What are you trying to defend?
Do trees lie too then
??Talking to plants again??