Housetrapped in the Sun?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:29 pm

Hi Pinks,
Is your picture on this forum actually you ???
Lorraine

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:45 pm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:29 pm Post subject:
Hi Pinks,
Lorraine
yes i was wondering that! - so mr pinks, should we rewatch The daft welsh Lee's TV looking for a tall Irishman selling a finca to him............ 8)

Or did you just realise he's full of wind and let the agent have his 15 minutes of fame on TV?

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:54 pm

The place that Mr Snail looked at was not a finca !!!! and than man who owned it looked very much like Mr. Pinks forum picture!!!!
Lorraine

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:02 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:Hi Pinks,
Lorraine
Who else would let me use their photo?? :(
Slainte,
JohnP.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:05 pm

sherlock holmes wrote:Or did you just realise he's full of wind and let the agent have his 15 minutes of fame on TV?
There was no agent - thank goodness!! It was bad enough putting up with one pair of B-s****rs!!!! :roll:
Slainte,
JohnP.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:05 pm

Well then I did see the programme and I'm now hurt and insulted that on a previous thread you suggested I was bitter from buying a cr** house in a cr** location !!
Lorraine

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:08 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:Well then I did see the programme and I'm now hurt and insulted that on a previous thread you suggested I was bitter from buying a cr** house in a cr** location !!
Lorraine
Strange - we had visitors the other day who were spell-bound by the place and described it as a little paradise. Each to his own though.....
Slainte,
JohnP.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:48 pm

We were on TV in UK though - about a month ago - my sister taped it and told me. And I can assure you that Mr & Mrs Snail are as full of BS in the flesh as they are on-screen Sad

gosh our own TV star! - wished I'd watched it now :lol:

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:30 pm

If you want to live in isolation in a valley down a 20 mile dirt track that's up to you but it just proves my point that you shouldn't assume I live in somewhere awful and I shouldn't assume you live in a posh villa, each to our own. I thought the snails, FF was a good swap even if he had changed the price!! but then I wouldn't have trusted whether it was all legal as Mr snail isn't keen on legal.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:01 am

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:If you want to live in isolation in a valley down a 20 mile dirt track that's up to you but it just proves my point that you shouldn't assume I live in somewhere awful and I shouldn't assume you live in a posh villa, each to our own.
Absolutely. I don't remember ever saying that I lived in a posh villa, and if I said anything that made you think I did - I apologise. We are not 20 miles down a dirt road, it's actually 3 miles. Which only shows how the powers of exaggeration can play havoc with a readers perceptions.
I thought the snails, FF was a good swap even if he had changed the price!! but then I wouldn't have trusted whether it was all legal as Mr snail isn't keen on legal.
The Fishery was never a good swap - it was over valued, has no house, no title deeds, no accounts, no agreed boundaries with neighbours, etc. If I came on here and told about an equivalently bad arrangement with a property I was looking at in Andalucia, everyone would say I was mad to even consider it - so I didn't. :)

Sadly - in spite of the TV coverage, we got zero additional responses from people interested to buy. Who said there is no such thing as bad publicity? :(
Slainte,
JohnP.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

whats youre definition of a finca and cortijo?

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:59 am

Curious as to the constant reference to fincas and cortijos on this group I just wondered if the definition was different in your part of the world than it is here around Valencia?

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: whats youre definition of a finca and cortijo?

Postby jpinks » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:22 am

Bongtrees wrote:Curious as to the constant reference to fincas and cortijos on this group I just wondered if the definition was different in your part of the world than it is here around Valencia?
For what it's worth - I live on a finca - that's what it's called in the escritura, and by the locals. It has 0.65 hectares of land with production citrus, avocado, and other fruit trees, as well as veg, producing enough to sell if you put the work in. The house is a small, 2-bedroomed affair with a huge terrace, and there are various outbuildings for mules, chickens, etc. That is a finca in my opinion. Around here there are fincas with up to 5 hectares, but the name cortijo is rarely used. I think that's because it seems to infer a hunting-lodge style of place with all the social and financial implications. A hacienda is a huge production agricultural unit.
Slainte,
JohnP.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:24 am

Even a town house is called a finca on the escritura. I always assume that a finca is more modest than a cortijo and the cortijo is more like an english manor house, but I could be wrong. :?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:35 am

BBC news24 has been running something similar this week about people who have bought, only saw it today. A young couple bought a town house in Caleta. Whilst reforming it, it collapsed completely, they now have a brick shell and cannot borrow any money as they have escritura problems. It has cost them 80,000 pounds so far. They have also bought a plot on top of a mountain to put wooden huts on (20 mins walk from the road, no track) They are now going back to the UK to get jobs and save more money.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:07 pm

Good afternoon Mr Pinks,
I would suggest you should have watched the programme if you are under the assumption that they showed you place in a good light. The narrator of the programme has a wicked sense of humor and a very sarcastic tone, something you would most certainly relate to!! and the basic gist, if you didn't see it was that your place was a nightmare bumpy never ending journey down the track, something he quite clearly makes fun of as you are all chugging along the track in your 4x4.
He also makes comments (If memory serves me right) to how small the property was,and how uneven the area leading into your house.
His other major damming description was to mock the distance to the nearest shop to buy a loaf of bread pint of milk etc.
In my opinion (and it is only my opinion) the programme was suggesting that Mr & Mrs snail even by there bizarre standards would be barking to even consider such a swap!!! If this is how other viewers interpreted things then it no wonder you would never get any further interest in your property, it most certainly was negative publicity but was also luckily slightly overshadowed by the amusement created by Mr Snail altering the paperwork (badly) for the FF.
Regards Lorraine

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:50 pm

Lorraine

Back off Mr Pinks! - theres no need for your snidy comments about him and his house. If you want to express an opinion thats fine, but I'm not impressed with the snidy comments, if makes me disregard what you say...

Theres enough name calling with Stantheidiot and his little mates. :twisted:

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:16 pm

Sherlock holmes, I am not having a go at Mr Pinks, and he's more than capable of standing up for himself !!! He said that he did not see the programme and that it hadn't given him any added interest from buyers, I am merely trying to explain why the programmes negativity would not have helped him, how would he possibly know if this programme had, had a positive or negative effect if he indeed had not seen it???
My previous post was giving an account of how the TV programme was portraying the Snails visit to the property, I clearly say that these things came from the mouth of the narrator and not ME
I care not one jot what you think, Isn't it funny how some members on here can say whatever they choose and Others are expected to do as they are told!!
Lorraine

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:53 pm

bongtrees
to fincas and cortijos on this group I just wondered if the definition
Finca has two definitions one means property the other a rural piece of land with or without a building.
Cortijo is a very large working finca with large building where owners live/d with adjoining homes for the work force, stables courtyard etc.
No TV no comment.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:16 pm

I was aware of the commentators sarcasm when he was here - - he is also the director, camerman, etc, etc. The show is a bit of a one-man-band and it apparently relies on the Snails making complete idiots of themselves - which they seem to be able to do with or without TV coverage. I don't give a fig for what *most* people think of our finca - I only need *one* person to fall in love with the place and buy it. In spite of all the comments - we have a reasonably good trickle of serious interest in buying here, but everyone is held back by the property market in UK where they are all trying to sell in order to raise the cash, etc, etc.
By the way - I saw the first episode of the series the other day - taped by friends. It was the one where the Snails were looking at some rather grand "finca" owned by an ex-public school guy. I thought it was a toss up between the seller and the Snails as to who was the madder. He was talking about building a golf driving range where his house would be between the tee and the target area!!!!!
Slainte,
JohnP.

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:17 pm

I care not one jot what you think, Isn't it funny how some members on here can say whatever they choose and Others are expected to do as they are told!!
Lorraine

nothing of the sort! personally i dont care that you dont care either - its just that unlike you - Jpinks is one the most valuable and informative posters on the site, you can always rely on him for a factual and sensible answer to some esoteric problem :lol: and you seem to go out of your way to have a dig at him because of some personal problem you have with something he said a long time ago.

Both he, beachcomber and hillybilly between them generally go to the trouble of trying to help out nearly anyone who has a genuine query. Dont see the point of having a go at him thats all. British (well Irish) sense of fair play kicking in here,.