Who to trust ????

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
metalmonkey
Resident

Who to trust ????

Postby metalmonkey » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi

I'm new to the forum...I've searched past listings but couldn't find the info I needed. We've been to Iznajar a couple of times in the past 4 months looking for a plot with a large ruin. Been out with two agents but it seems that everyone we speak to has an opinion of who is and isn't trustworty and in the end I felt like I prob wouldn't trust my own grandma if she tried to sell me some property.

Has anyone had any dealings with the agents in Iznajar? as this is deffinately the plce we want to be

Many thanks
Monkey

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:16 am

If you look through other threads on this subject you will see that there are strict rules on what you can and cannot do with a ruin. This thread is the most recent.

You will need the help of someone who is familiar with these rules. Don't just rely on the advice of the agent or his 'in house' lawyer because their only interest will be in selling the property and taking their commission.

By all means use them to find what you want but be sure to get independent advice once you have found something.

I know that this does not answer your specific question but at least it gives you a starting point.

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:16 am

I think most people will tell you that buying a plot with a ruin is a risky business...as is dealing with most of the British estate agents here.

Moving to a foreign country is full of risks to begin with. Why make life more difficult for yourself by adding to those risks? Move here first, rent for a while and find out for yourself who you can trust.

Best of luck,

Kelly

metalmonkey
Resident

good advice

Postby metalmonkey » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:30 pm

Hi
thanks for the advice ad I will thoroughly read the info on ruins, I visited a couple of weeks ago and found somewhere to rent once the house sale is complete in the UK. We were hoping to have the ruin by the time we move out but we are going to wait until we have had time to look around

Thanks
great forum
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:41 pm

trust no-one.

thats the only way you will survive without being ripped off in spain.

do it all yourself.

everyone wants your money.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

metalmonkey
Resident

many thanks

Postby metalmonkey » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:01 pm

Thanks for the information and the link t The Thread....very interesting especially when some Brit agents were telling me that refomring wasn't a problem. Could I just get this right with the ruin situation.....if the town hall grants permission to re build then is it ok? or can the town halls decision be changed by the regional government?

neil01

great agent for you all

Postby neil01 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Ref agents - try john Boyer (english but fluent spanish and well respected)- now at a spanish firm in algoborro area- covers east malaga including inland- fluent spanish speaker - knows alot of local developers etc and works hard to see everything through- he actually has just spent 2 days with us interpreting whilst buying a kitchen.

Great guy - email me if you want his details and tell him i said to call him -

regards
Neil

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:30 am

Which agent are you dealing with? Maybe someone already has knowledge of them.
Slainte,
JohnP.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:53 pm

Hi

thanks for all the info ...the agent we have dealt with so far is Angelina's Property shop ...anyone kow them

ta

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:56 pm

Can second the recommendation for John Boyer - several of our clients have purchased through him and all speak most highly of him. Having lived in Andalucia for years his Spanish is faultless and he has numerous useful contacts. Now working for small but highly professional company based, as Neil says, at Algarrobo Costa but covering all the Axarquia.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:19 pm

I don't know her but I had some dealings with her husband and whilst I wouldn't say he was a crook he clearly wasn't an estate agent dragging us round heaps of unsuitable properties and even admitting that he photoshopped power cables out of property details.

Caveat Emptor.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: many thanks

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:01 pm

metalmonkey wrote: Could I just get this right with the ruin situation.....if the town hall grants permission to re build then is it ok? or can the town halls decision be changed by the regional government?
Yes, it is possible if the town hall exceeded their powers when granting a building licence.

If that is the case then the licence can be rescinded by the Junta. Just look at the mess in Marbella!

Sid

paulellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby paulellis » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:47 am

We purchased an old farmhouse earlier this year in Tapia (5 mins from Iznajar). Have got to say the whole thing sailed through with less hassle than buying in the UK. We used Jeff & Julia Waller (he is English, she is Spanish and they have a further Spanish partner, Paco, who is something like 5th generation local family so knows just about everyone). They in turn put us onto a firm of Solicitors in Antequera, who also have offices on the coast (everyone there, from the office junior upwards spoke english & they handled again everything from obtaining NIE numbers, sorting out Spanish wills, copies of deeds etc) Jeff & Julia own an agency called Inmobitapia & the solicitors are called Manzanares

Hope this helps

Paul

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Hi thanks Paul , that is really helpful

Julie