Butane Gas Contracts

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
J Cooke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Butane Gas Contracts

Postby J Cooke » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:11 pm

Can any one tell me what I should be paying to have a Butane gas contract

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:11 pm

we paid 120€ for our contract.. then found out that you dont need one - if u have gas bottles you can take them to the garage and exchange them.

all you are paying for by getting a contract is:

A:) for the gasman to come in every 5 years and change your pipe and cap

B:) to get the permission to exchange bottles with the man on the gas bottle van. (and pay the 10€ as well)

or dont pay the 120€ and just take the bottle to the garage and pay under 10e or it u lazy git ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:21 pm

If you prefer to be legal and safe rather than foolhardy (wise, specially if renting out your property and for insurance purposes) then according to
http://www.andalucia.com/living/utiliti ... butano.htm
the cost of a new contract is €80. Contact your local Repsol or Cepsa depot for an accurate quote.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:21 pm

Repsol charge a deposit on the bottles - Galp do not. I have no contract with either and use both without question
Slainte,
JohnP.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:12 am

I was corgi registered in YUK. I don't worry too much about the LPG bottles and strange contracts BUT I do worry about the advent of natural gas being piped around all over the place. I love the spanish to death but their comprehension on technical matters, such as combustible air for instance, leaves a lot to be desired, and as for their pipework and cable runs......... :?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:17 pm

I'm not sure you would be too safe going for a contract. A friend who did had his pipework tested for leaks by a man using a lighter as part of the inspection process. Perhaps its better to pick up some empty bottles yourself from a market (it is no problem to exchange them for full ones). Then test your pipework with a solution of washing up liquid and water. Any bubbles on the joints and you have problems.
Grouser

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:30 am

its only low pressure gas, a lighter is ok to use, you´ll just get a small flame. its obviously safer to use washing up liquid to do it tho.

if i was doing it again i would just get the bottles from the market and forget about the contract - its ONLY a bit of orange pipe and a cap that you can buy from the ferreteria or even the "pound shops" for less than 10 euros. if you are that concerned just change the pipe and cap every year. (they have a "shelflife" of 5 years. dont leave it longer than that, and do change it instantly if it is out of date.)

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:51 am

Christ, I thought I was on the practical campers site by mistake!
I know bottled gas is used a lot in Spain, but how far has natural gas got ? They bring it in by Algeciras so you would have thought most Andalucians are converted, or is it only the new developments?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:30 am

alrite kev, AEG is still bottles, as is Alhaurin de la Torre, and Churriana. (even tho the gas line goes over the hill from fuengerola to malaga :roll: we still have to get bottles :roll:

i dont know where DOES have piped gas ?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:34 am

I used to live in Madrid a few years ago, everybody had it who wanted it! And it was pretty cheap. Cant you tee off the pipeline?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:03 pm

lol yer cool, i´ll just pop out with my angle grinder and drill and stick a pipe on the side of it, anyone got any glue ?;)

ht006d5256
Andalucia.com Amigo

gas bottles

Postby ht006d5256 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:32 pm

I have a few 15kg calor butane bottles is there any point me bringing them over with me when i move to Andalucia in June cheers
Howard

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:28 pm

We haven’t got piped water yet, what’s the chance of gas :?:

J Cooke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Butane Gas Contracts

Postby J Cooke » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:39 pm

I know you do not need a licence to get bottles from car boot sales and buy fires from shops, but be warned if you have any kind of accident caused through butane gas and you do not have a contract I am sure you will be in big trouble,especially if you are letting property out with butane gas in with no contract

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Re: gas bottles

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:10 pm

ht006d5256 wrote:I have a few 15kg calor butane bottles is there any point me bringing them over with me when i move to Andalucia in June cheers
no. they will not exchange blue bottles for orange ones i dont think.

gretch wrote:We haven’t got piped water yet, what’s the chance of gas ?
christ, where do you live ? how many people in england would even consider living in a house with no mains water ? its madness i tell ya.. spain sucks *beep*, i think ya´ll leave your brains at the airport.

j cooke wrote:I know you do not need a licence to get bottles from car boot sales and buy fires from shops, but be warned if you have any kind of accident caused through butane gas and you do not have a contract I am sure you will be in big trouble,especially if you are letting property out with butane gas in with no contract
licence? whats that? you dont have a licence anyways, wether you are contracted or not.

why would you need a licence to buy something from a shop?

if you are letting out a property with an un-contracted gas bottle, thats all on you, you shouldn´t be letting property at all unless it is legally registered and you are paying tax on your income. in which case, if you are, you have to have it all done legally otherwise your main and contents insurance would become invalid anyways.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Butane Gas Contracts

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:35 pm

J Cooke wrote: but be warned if you have any kind of accident caused through butane gas and you do not have a contract I am sure you will be in big trouble
And if you burn your house down then I am sure your insurance company will refuse to pay!

Sid

J Cooke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Licence / Contract

Postby J Cooke » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:42 pm

SORRY meant to say contract

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:34 pm

j cooke, ahhh.. gotcha now :)

El Cid, as a point of interest, have you ever heard of ANY gas bottle explosions ? i´ve never heard of one in the 6 years that i"ve been here, although i´m sure i remember something about an apartment block falling down when a gas bottle exploded in the corner of a room and pulled a pillar out with it ? i cant remember now, i cant be sure.

in effect, if you look at the number of gas bottles in use / left in the sun every day i´m sure that the number of accidents is so in-signifigant its not even worth mentioning ?

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:35 pm

On the subjact of gas, does anyone know if it's possible, and if so any one know how to get a huge gas tank installed on ones property, the kind that only needs to be filled up once a year or so, I've seen then somewhere before but I'm not sure if it was in Spain or Portugal, any ideas??

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:52 pm

There are some people here in Marbella that have underground gas tanks. Wouldn't trust them myself but haven't heard of any incidents yet.