Thinking of moving to Albox

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Heather Jackson

Thinking of moving to Albox

Postby Heather Jackson » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:45 pm

I have 2 children and I am interested in moving to Albox. Would like some info re the area/suitability for families. Is there anybody who can comment on childrens schools/facilities/location to nearest town/beach etc.

Heather Jackson

Postby Heather Jackson » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:51 pm

I take it nobody likes Allbox???????????????
Will reconsider then.

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:10 am

Albox..........

well some love it, and others..NOT

the area has a very large British community, lots of British shops, businesses, activities.

Albox has BIG problems re illegal builds.

Very un-Spanish, certainly not, although some magazines and articles still describe as such, an unspoilt typical Andalucian white washed village.

There is a lot of anti- British resentment, and it´s growing daily.
The local crime rate is increasing.
Spanish children are outnumbered in some schools in the area ( especially Arboleas I believe), and many British children, are not learning Spanish very rapidly, as they mix with British children in the main,

The Albox area has problems with water supply and quality ( too many -many illegal- new builds). In fact in some photos, on another Spanish site, it´s hard to believe it is water!

The most rapidly growing business sector there seems to be estate agents and builders. ( over 50 agencies I believe) . Practically every other shop seems to be an agency or builder.

But then again some people love it!, and it may be what you´re looking for....

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:05 am

Albox is like an inland version of torremolinos and benalmadena. Loads of brit bars, shops, cafes. Some love it some don't. I would go to the area and spend sometime there and make your own mind up. It not the sort of thing you can let someone else do for you. Good luck anyway.

Heather Jackson

Postby Heather Jackson » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:44 am

Thanks to Costa kid and nikvin for their honest replies.

We are trying to locate somewhere where the kids wont have problems integrating into Spanish life. Not to remote, not to British. We were hoping to get a few ideas and then visit each area to consider suitability in the main the kids being first priority.
Thanks

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:01 pm

you probably should look further inland, though I dont think there is any village that doesnt have at least some Brits. Avoid the bigger towns, where there are more. Baza has quite a lot as does Caniles, though I don´t know how many have children.Although the distances can seem quite large, the roads, tend to have little traffic, and it doesnt take very long to get anywhere. Most villages have schools (junior) and other facilities.
depends what you mean by "remote" and what you want close access to.