Telefonica ADSL.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

Telefonica ADSL.

Postby mhic » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:46 pm

I have been unable to get online for the past 9 days. Phoned Telefonica adsl tech help a few time's but got a recorded massage saying there was a problem working to sort it out etc. Managed to talk to a real person last Saturday, Sunday an engineer turns up and spends almost 2 hours trying to sort out the problem, even tried configuring a router I have. He decided that the modem was knackered and told me to phone for a replacement which I did yesterday (monday). New modem delivered by courier today!!
Now, if they can get the crackly phone line sorted out I'll be really impressed.
Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:07 pm

I would have thought the clue was in your last sentence.

Data and voice go down the same line, albeit at different frequencies, so if you have a crackly voice connection it follows that your ADSL is not going to work!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:33 pm

Yes Beachcomber, I thought that but I got the new modem configured (re-configuring was something that the engineer tried to do with the original) and here I am online again. The phone line is still lousy and crackly.
It's the speed that Telefonica moved at that amazed me.

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:50 pm

I'm glad you managed to get your problem resolved.

Have you carried out a bandwidth speed test? You should be getting about 800 kilobits per second. If this is up to speed your crackly telephone connection could be the result of a poor connection in your actual instrument rather than down the line.

One other point, have you asked Telefónica for free landline calls within Spain? They were recently offering this with new ADSL contracts and if you insisted as an existing client they would give the same facility. I think the promotion is finished now but it is still worth a try.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:31 am

Beachcomber.

How do I run a speed test?

I saw something on here a while ago about the free calls to landline's but it would save us only 4 or 5€ a month. Most of our calls are either to mobiles or abroad (for which we use skype) but thanks anyway.

Would appreciate ideas re a decent surge protector, I think my current cheapy must be knackered after all the recent power failures.

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:32 pm

Click here to run a speed test. You can run up to three free tests per month. Telefónica have their own but I think it is doctored to show a faster speed that it really is!

It depends whether you just want a surge protector or an uninterruptible power supply. See here for the latter which is far preferable.

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:50 pm

What address did you type in for the speed test. It just won't let me get past that bit

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:02 pm

Beachcomber.

Run the speed test and the result was 779.9k. Thanks for the link re the UPS but are there suppliers over here.

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:15 pm

Mhic,

Yes, that's a reasonable speed. I would guess, in that case, that your crackly telephone line is down to the instrument itself.

The Spanish distribution network for Salicru can be found here.

The nearest one to you is probably Málaga but I think there is a sub-outlet in Almería. If you ring the number given for Barcelona and ask to speak to Xavier García (he speaks English) he will tell you the nearset supplier to your location.

Luffes, just click on the words 'click here' in my post and it will take you to the page. Just scroll down a little and click on start and you will get the result.

You don't need to subscribe but you only get three free tests per month if you don't.

jwsp
Tourist

Postby jwsp » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:21 am

Have you fitted those filter things they give you for your phone connection line?
I had the same issues, put these things on and it went away.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:02 am

Filter things?

The only filter I have is herself. Anyone speaking Spanish filters through to me. Friends family or anyone speaking English doesn't unless they ask for me specifically and tell in detail why they want to talk to me.

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:50 pm

JWSP means the small microfilters that should be fitted between each telephone before it reaches the point where the ADSL connection is made.

One would have thought (hoped) that if you have had a Telefónica engineer to look at your system he would have noticed if the microfilters were not installed.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:29 pm

There is a small boxin line, the cable is plugged in to it then another short cable plugs into the phone socket. Would that be the filter?
Mhic.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:22 pm

That's the one.

You must have one on every phone connection apart from the ADSL connection.

If you don't then when the PC is online you will hear the digital ADSL signal on the phone which makes converstaion almost impossible.

If you connect one to the ADSL line from the modem then ADSL will not work as the digital ADSL signal is filtered out.

If you still use your old PC modem then you must have a filter on that as well.

Sid

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:43 pm

Thanks all. Line still crackly so it's probaby the phone itself as Beachcomber suggested.

Mhic.

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:49 am

A crackle on the line is almost definitely a poor connection (wire loose in its terminal). If you have more than one phone and all are crackley, then it is the line. If only one is crackley, then it is the phone.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:01 am

Hi.

I started this thread praising Telefonica for the quick efficient service I recieved re my adsl line problem. But the other side of the coin!

A couple I know in the village have exactly the same problem which began at exactly the same time as mine during the storm the other Sunday.

The husband is in the UK at the moment so his wife has had to try dealing with Telefonica but she speaks only a little Spanish at present. The adsl engineers could not help due to the language problems and suggested she talk to the English dept (1004?) where a very rude young woman curtly told her that it was nothing to do with me, talk to the engineers and hung up.

What is she doing working in a [i]service[/i] dept supposedly dedicated to non- Spanish speaking Brits?

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:30 pm

The commercial department of Telefónica do not deal with ADSL problems and the ADSL department is apparently on contract to Telefónica and do not have dedicated English speaking operators. I think this is probably why your friend has a problem.

Having said that, the help you get depends on each individual operator and if you feel you are getting nowhere it is often better to ring off and call again. The chances of getting the same operator are pretty remote. The same goes for Sevillana.

I have been dealt with by operators who do everything they can to help and others who just want to get back to gossiping with their colleague.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi Beachcomber.

I know about the Telefonica adsl link, or lack of it. Some time ago though an operator at telefonica did get on to the adsl people for me and I got the problem solved. Now, provided people speak a little slower, I can understand enough of whats being said and can answer in Spanish and hopefully be understood.
Last time I phoned the engineers I was surprised to talk to a chap that spoke excellent English, and I'd been practicing my Spanish too!!

Mhic.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:56 pm

I have just changed my ADSL to Duo ADSL where you can call land lines...does anyone know if that includes the landlines that are not telefonica..like 951 numbers..thanks
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.