a very interesting thread about working in spain!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

a very interesting thread about working in spain!!

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:41 am

its been going for a while now and has reached over ten pages, its long, but well worth the read. what it says is TRUE.

http://www.expatica.com/source/forum_th ... ad_id=5394

it certainly makes u think tho...is the grass greener on the "other" side ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:58 pm

bit worrying if you're about 30+ and "living the dream" My South-American friend came over to look for a job, qualified at a Office Manager had worked in a Diplomatic mission in her own country.

She was offered E5000 as a secretary and was required to be using both English and Spanish written/spoken. Obviously a temp contract at first going up to E7000 IF succesful - surprise surprise - shes currently back in UK on £15K - 20000E

Really the only option is self- employed but for that you need a working idea, some capital to see you through, fluent spanish for all the paperwork and damn hard work for a year+ or be retired on a good pension. Or like some of the lucky ones, able to commute to Uk/USA.

Of all the people I know who have jobs, the only viable alternative is UK estate agents - many of the girls there have no alternative as its the only place that pays "real money". The sales agents are mainly on commission only which is why they use the time-share mentality - but all the back office staff are paid well over Spanish minimum. Its even considered a GOOD job with the local spanish ladies.!

Not looking good for you Spanish Lad - sorry :cry:

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:09 pm

Spanish Lad, just curious but don't you ever consider going back to the UK?

asiwalkedout
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby asiwalkedout » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:24 pm

that's a very good post and thread on expatica - very insightful and honest - i'm facing similar decisions myself about the rest of my life - obviously it does depend on personal circumstances but i think for most people having a decent, well (or reasonably) paid job is crucial - i'm battling with this issue myself as I would be leaving a well paid responsible job to perhaps an uncertain future, i guess sometimes people just want to change something in their life, like where they live, in the hope that it will make them happier, i know from my many cousins in spain that the work situation is pretty dire for the locals let alone those whose Spanish is limited
don't turn your dream into reality or it could turn in to your worst nightmare!

asiwalkedout
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby asiwalkedout » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:00 pm

sorry I just had to share this post on the above site - very funny!

This thread has got me thinking about how Spanish people cope in London so I checked out some web sites and discussion groups, fully expecting to hear a litany of woeful tales graphically depicting the disgraceful exploitative treatment meted out by greedy British employers. Instead I found that you can expect to earn around €1200 + depending on your experience and qualifications and knowledge of English, advice on how you can get a NI number, how Job Centres work, that MariFé is doing a fag run back to Spain, so put your order in, mine´s a carton of Ducados!, that a computer company in West London is offering jobs for native Spanish people to test computer games, that a language school is looking for a Director of Studies (applications welcome from any EU citizen with the qualifications), that Spanish doctors are being recruited to work in Britain and most important of all when the next boat-on-the-Thames Spanish party is (bring your guitar!). Now, I know that the Spanish as a people never really complain about anything but, at least, I expected a gripe about something, perhaps the Tube, the food or bureaucracy, but nothing. Perhaps, since they are treated in the same way (or better) as back in Spain it doesn’t really occur to them to complain.

On the whole, and to be fair to the Spanish authorities/bosses etc, I haven’t been treated in any particularly different way to local people; I am treated in the same disgraceful, shoddy, casual and unfriendly manner as the locals when I go to the Post Office, bank, shops or any government office.

I just want to be treated in a civilized way, as a European citizen in a European Community country. Is this too much to ask ? Answers on a postcard. Catch you later.

James

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:08 pm

All the current lot of Spanish doctors, nurses, vets etc working in the UK did not come over for the weather! :D Some of the people I have spoken with, civil engineer, translator (working in a sports shop!) are all here for A. a job, and B. for the money. They all tell me they are earning money they could never get in Spain. Unlike Spain, they seem to have no problems finding work here, but I have to say, they seem well educated, and more importantly, speak good English. The good thing is, it gives me a Spanish teacher, I would not otherwise have! That's another source of income for her. I think the only certain way to do it , is to retire to Spain with sufficient funds not to have to work again. Then , if something comes up, so much the better. But bear in mind, it's going to be much lower paid than you would be earning in UK. I think for people that move out there, and have to have a job to live, are the one's that often come unstuck. Jobs are at a premium, well paid jobs, even more so. Many have gone out for a better lifestyle, and end up scratching around, doing all sorts of mundane jobs just to survive. Move out with loads of dosh, that's the only way! ;-)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:22 pm

As long as good English is spoken it can be an asset being a foreigner in the UK when job seeking. Family company used to supply to local authorities and they must have employed every Chilean refugee around in the North.

If you read the job ads here they can advertise for someone aged 18 to 25 or ask for a photo. Most likely to get work here if you are a bimbo or a relation of the company, thats why service is so bad. Ring most companies for info and they can't tell you anything about a product etc. they always say the boss will ring back, course they don't, rarely reply to e-mails either.... well, thats the whinge of the day over. :x

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:39 pm

What SpanishLad and the other forum says is true. Work opportunities are plainly dire.
What amazes me is that quite regularly we get a posting to A.Com on the lines of:

Hello...its my first post to A.Com...cant wait to move... really excited....horrible grey UK...Blair...asylum seekers....council tax etc etc...can anybody give me advice...we have 3 children....and I am looking for a job in senior management...need to pay the mortage etc....I am obviously prepared to take a slight pay cut!!!!

Get real! In your dreams pal! For these people who havent done their research, Reality may hit them very hard. Some people think the UK standard of living can be 'cut and pasted' as simple as that.

asiwalkedout
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby asiwalkedout » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:57 pm

hee hee - that's quite funny Kevin!

asiwalkedout
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby asiwalkedout » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 pm

sorry i didn't mean to be facetious but it's true people can be very naive sometimes, but then on the other hand sometimes i don't think it's wrong to shake things up in your life sometimes, maybe that helps you to appreciate what you have (or had)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:31 pm

christ thats true enough asiwalkedout .. .

kev, nail, head, hit... ;)

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:00 pm

Im just waiting for the usual response...
Yes, but things are sooo much cheaper here....and I can buy fresh fruit in the village...im broke but my quality of lving has gone up etc etc !!!!!

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:11 am

There are jobs out there, but it is a matter of hearing about them, thorugh friends, the grapevine etc..
The main difficulty is the language. I find it incredible , the amount of people, who think they´ll just walk in to a well paid job, however well qualified they may be, just because they are there, when their level of Spanish is basically non-existent.
The wages are lower, for a Brit, but the cost of living IS cheaper, uinless one shops in the British shops, which ofetn charge rip-off prices.
Many manual jobs, albeit poorly paid, are willingly snapped up by Eastern Europeans, to whom the money is a small fortune. They often come over for a few months at a time, work all the hours they can, and return home
after 2 or 3 months, which what in effect is to them may be the equivalent of a years wages in their country., and they are grafters.

Many people come over on the promise, of a job offer from the agent / builder they are considering buying through. These are often merely extra sales tactics. i worked briefly for an agency, they had offered jobs, when they moved to their new premises to at least 20 people I met, some clients, prospective clients, and other job seekers. None ever got the offered jobs. In fact when they moved to new larger premises with room for more staff, they actually more or less down sized the workforce!

The situation isnt helped either, when a brit offered firm employment, at a good wage ( for here) , apermanent contract ( after trial period to prove he had the relevant qualifications), just doesnt bother to turn up on his fiorst day, meaning the whole crew was 2 hrs late getting to the site, and doesnt even have the decency to phone up with a reason. He just decided not to bother,as the wage was not to his liking! I dont think that company will be in a hurry to take on another Brit!

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:54 am

Yes, Nikvin there is work for example: bricklayers building apartments on the coast.
Long hours, travel to site, extremely hot in summer, no scaffolding, do your own labouring, minimal health, safety or welfare. Take home €200 to €300/ week if you are a good worker. The south americans and east europeans will take it on for sure.
But a British brickie? He can make five times as much in his home town or he can go to the mega projects in London (Heathrow T5, Wembley, Emirates Stadium, Olympic Games developments etc) and earn enough in 6 months to give him the rest of the year off drinking Cruzcampo on the Costa.
My advice to SpanishLad? Get yourself a trade!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:01 am

everyone always assumes i am posting about myself :D hahahaha i´m not, i´m posting for the general good of the forum.
Valencia_Paul wrote:Spanish Lad, just curious but don't you ever consider going back to the UK?
actually, i think about the uk more than i think about sex or alcohol. let me tell u, thats about every 5 seconds :p

why does eveyone assume that my posts are about me?? jeez, they aint !!!

my reason for posting was to proove / show everyone that life is not always better here, my idea was to shatter all the bubbles and break all the rose tinted spectacles ;)

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:02 am

A Spanish neighbor peon takes home 1200€ and a bit of black,
his father a bricklayer gets more..and a lot more if he works (very hard) by meter..a lot more.
A biologist friend brings home over 4000 not all clean, and doctor with job in hospital and operations in private clinics knocks up a lot more...(especially before holidays and Xmas) a chemist with her own farmacia is sitting on a gold mine..while the cashier at local super takes home 700...many estate agents reap in thousands... civil servants 1000 up 14 payments a year.
I would not advise anyone to seek work in Spain unless they are very good salesmen, a professional (university degree) or have a good business.
To get a good job you need an "enchufe"
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:05 pm

I grew up here in Spain so When I decided to come back to where I consider my home I knew about the job scenario. I expected to work longer hours for less money and the expected Saturday morning. However things are better than I could ever have imagined but I do speak fluent Spanish though!

I earn more money than I did in London (had a great job Systems Development Engineer) and have an indefinido contract. I do work longer hours but anything over the 42 contracted hours is paid as overtime and I am 40 years old next year so I got no age discrimination either.

Maybe it`s fate in coming home but really all I am trying to say is that it is not all doom and gloom over here. Be positive, be reliable, be loyal and as my signature say`s I live another day in paradise every day even though I have to work!

Regards
Ian
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mydogdylan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:03 pm

And you have to beware of Greeks bearing gifts as they say.....or beware of Brits stitching you up as happened to me in Marbella :x
***** scouse cnuts.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:13 pm

I live another day in paradise every day even though I have to work!
I earn more money than I did in London
Sounds like you work for Andalucia.com!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:12 am

ian.wilson

so you are an exception to the rule then, seeing that you have been here since 1979 u get treated like a spaniard.