No Smoking?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
festival
Andalucia.com Amigo

No Smoking?

Postby festival » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:37 am

Is it possible to get a copy of the new Spanish No Smoking laws in English? Im sure someone out there has a copy!! thanks in advance

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: No Smoking?

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:30 pm

Here it is

http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia/pg ... C-ley.html

Happy and smoke free New year
Mike

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:44 pm

But will the bars ( or the customers) stick to the non-smoking rule and the shopping centres too? Will be interesting to see. Happy non-smoking New Year to you all

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:09 pm

Maybe I am missing something, but this link does not appear to be in English.

We had lunch out today in a large (over 100m2) restaurant and all the ashtrays had been removed and the owner said that he was now "non fumar".

Sid

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:28 pm

No is was in Spanish, I had hoped they could try and translate it as I dont think that many or any Spanish laws, least of all one that is less that 24 hours old would be available in English.

Looking at the size of the fines I think most will comply.

The smoke free restaurant on day one is an excellent example.

Mike

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:29 pm

Useful article answering all your questions about the new smoking law.
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundosalud/espe ... as.html#12

Its in Spanish obviously, but you all are studying the language now as a New Year Resolution?!

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:20 am

Ive heard restaurants are going to put the smokers on the terrace

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:59 am

Ive heard restaurants are going to put the smokers on the terrace
No,no. It is on the menu!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:35 pm

OK, for those of us who only know rudimentary Spanish, are not residents but only regular visitors; could somebody give the bullet points of this new law please?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:37 pm

jazper wrote:OK, for those of us who only know rudimentary Spanish, are not residents but only regular visitors; could somebody give the bullet points of this new law please?
then use google to translate it.

the new law states (i think) that any bar above 100m2 is going to be smoke free. if they wish to have a smoking area it must be completly seperated.

any bar / resturant under 100m2 is under the descretion of the manager / owner.

the bar next door to me has a sign on the door saying "the manager of this establishment accept smoking"
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:21 am

Any bar over 100m2 has to have a seperated smoking area, not exceeding 30% of total area and with extract ventilation. Bars less than 100m2 have the choice between being smoking or non-smoking.
I can just see the comical scenes as owners struggle to reduce their floor space under the magical 100 m2 barrier, by use of moveable partitions, oil drums and planks. I think the area of a local may be on the license, but a way round this will be found, i'm sure.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:19 am

En la mayoría de los bares se sigue fumando. Basta darse una vuelta por cualquier zona de bares para comprobar que lo que dice José Luis Guerra, adjunto a la presidencia de la Federación Española de Hostelería (FEHR), es cierto. "No sé si el 85 o el 90%, pero una inmesa mayoría de los bares de menos de 100 metros cuadrados ha decidido permitir fumar a sus clientes", indica al teléfono.

Now why doesn't that surprise me? :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:14 pm

Taken from my local paper.....20 (easy to translate) questions regarding the new smoking law.

http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia/pg ... B-003.html

Mike

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:08 pm

That's a laugh, I still see the occasional person smoking inside Eroski (actually in the supermarket part next to foods!) - They will have fun policing this one in Spain.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:19 pm

Are you moving Lion? You've ony just joined us!

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:33 pm

This is a summary of the new law - thanks to REM radio:-

New smoking law is now in force
By m.p.
Jan 3, 2006, 04:48:00

It is now illegal to smoke in almost all public places, except for in the home, the street, and some bars, after the new anti-smoking law came into effect on 1st January 2006.

The first draft bill for the law was approved by Congress’s Health Commission in October 2005. The bill received its definitive approval from the Lower Chamber in December, after one hundred amendments were made by the Upper Chamber, the Spanish Senate.

The law has eight basic points:

1) Owners of bars and restaurants of less than 100 sq metres can decide if they want to allow smoking inside or not, and must clearly indicate that at the entrance. Larger premises must have a separate smoking area, which must be no larger than 30% of the premises, or a maximum of 300 sq metres. This point also applies to premises used for weddings or other social events.

2) Tobacco points of sale are reduced by up to 40%. Sales are only permitted in vending machines and in tobacconists.

3) There is no public funding for therapies to help smokers give up, a point which has divided a large part of the medical profession.

4) The under 18s cannot buy or sell tobacco, or products which may encourage them to smoke – for example, chocolate cigarrettes.

5) Smoking is not allowed in the workplace, nor are special smoking areas or smoking rooms permitted at the place of work.

6) The new legislation bans any form of tobacco advertising, promotion or sponsorship. Motor sport sponsorship will be allowed to continue for another three years.

7) Fines will be imposed for any non-compliance with the law: from 600 to 600,000 euros.

8) The law does not include any increase in the price of tobacco. That is the responsibility of the tax department, who say that they will be increasing taxes on tobacco.

Most of Spain is back at work today and it has been a common site to see smokers at the doors of companies having a cigarette. The Ministry for Health has also reminded companies today that they are not allowed to set up a room for smokers inside their building.

Minister of health, Elena Salgado, told the El Mundo newspaper today that now the country needed regulations against alcohol similar to those against tobacco. She said that his year the government would be looking at ways to, above all, prevent the consumption of alcohol by adolescents.

Kiosk owners who are now no longer to sell cigarettes are organising demonstrations in some areas of the country, claiming that they will lose upto a third of their turnover.

© Copyright Radio Europe Mediterraneo S.L.

festival
Andalucia.com Amigo

New smoking law is now in force

Postby festival » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:33 pm

Thanks SpanishBlue and R E M Radio thats just what we wanted to see!!

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:59 am

Was at this nice little restaurant this afternoon for lunch.
Everyone was smoking including the owner except our table. 8)
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:57 am

At the Roseleda shopping centre yesterday we saw 3 folk smoking. The best was around the bars there were no smokers..... at last, we are not forced to inhale other folks second hand smoke if we want a bite to eat or a coffee. I have no problem if they want to put smokers in an area away from the bar, you should not have to passive smoke if you want to go to order a drink or food.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:59 am

kevin77 wrote:Are you moving Lion? You've ony just joined us!
Yep, returning to UK when we sell up, only just discovered this forum despite living here 2 years.