DOGS Pedigree vs Non Pedigree (Mutts)

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.

Which type of dog is better?

Pedigree
13%
Non Pedigree (Mutts)
88%

Total votes: 16

daneinspain
Resident

DOGS Pedigree vs Non Pedigree (Mutts)

Postby daneinspain » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:27 pm

I have always had pedigree dogs but recently got an abandoned dog from TRIPLE A in Marbella and hes the best dog I've ever had. Many other non pedigree dogs ive met recently are much more fun and intelligent than the pedigree dogs ive had and seen.

Is it due to the fact that pedigree dogs are overbred?

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:45 pm

One of the problems with pedigree dogs ( or rather with their owners) is that owners pay so much that they think they must bring the dog up to meet it's full potential for the breed. For example a hunting dog should be able to hunt which if you live in an urban jungle with it may not be practical.
A mutt doesn't have the same expectations so is allowed to be a dog. Any dog can be brought up to be a fun mate if started from scratch or alternatively can be ruined if the owner is a plonker.
These are my non expert views of course but I have had several dogs throughout my life and they all grew up as daft as me and were great , fun companions.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:44 pm

I can't understand anyone in Spain buying a pedigree dog when there are so many abandoned in local shelters. I have one from ADANA and one from Triple A and they are so cute and faithful. One of them is very odd looking but I chose him because I thought no-one else would but to me he is beautiful.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:28 pm

Not odd katy when they are yours, it is Unique and distinguished. Other people have odd looking dogs.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:02 pm

:) You don't have to even rescue dogs round here ( we live in the Campo) they just walk-in and take up residence! A couple of decent meals and they're yours for life :? How can you say no?

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:40 pm

We have a pedigree staff and 3 'non-pedigree' mutts!! Al our dogs are loopy loo and totally faithful! We bought our staff in the uk coz we wanted one-not to show though- and she is brilliant. Very intelligent, amazing with our kids and very loving. We rescued a dog in the uk and he is the grumpiest out of the lot but still happy with it. Might have something to do with the fact that he is the only boy! Then there's our 'bin' dogs, a white deaf mutt and a podenco. They really seem to know that we rescued them. They seem so grateful and lovingly snuggle up for a cuddle! I really do think they know what we did for them-even after they have chewed everything up if we go out and leave them!! We have had them a year this month. All dogs are certainly different but alot of people who have pedigrees certainly don't seem to 'love' them the same as a 'mutt'. Maybe because 'mutts' need a little more love coz they are not as 'pretty'...?
Donna