Cancelling Telefonica

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cancelling Telefonica

Postby Lion » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:41 pm

I have called Telefonica twice in the last two days trying to give them notice to cancel my phone line, first bloke said I need to give one months notice and said to call back later as accounts dept was busy, 2nd time I phoned I spoke to a different lady who said I needed to give 15 days notice and to phone back at the beginning of February when she will give me a Fax number to cancel on.

Can anyone from previous experience confirm how much notice I need to give?

sioban
Andalucia.com Amigo

telefonica in english

Postby sioban » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:12 pm

dont know if this will help:

www.telefonicainenglish.com

Sioban

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:09 pm

Maybe but bear in mind that Telefónica in English is NOT the English department of Telefónica it is a private company which, along with many others, is just an agent for them.

Lion, the second operator seems to be more on the ball because it is usual to have to send a fax to a given telephone number to cancel a telephone line and it is also usual not to be able to arrange these things too far in advance.

Mal
Tourist

cancelling Telefonica

Postby Mal » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:20 pm

Hi, in order to cancel or complain to Telefonica you need to send a fax in SPANISH to 900506580. Be sure to include your NIE number and the identification number you used to set up the account - this might be your NIE number or Passport number. Oh and don't forget to put your telephone number and name on the fax - silly to say but easy to do!

almarb
Tourist

Postby almarb » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:40 pm

Just a warning to everyone re: telefonica. Its a bit long winded but here goes....

I had a telephone line from telefonica in my previous house and an adsl line. When i moved house i informed them in good time by phone, by fax and via telefonica online and gave them my new address asking them to come to the new address and put the phone in there. The new house is in the campo but only 5 minutes from the coast AND it has a telephone/telegraph pole in the garden

Well they phoned me up only 3 weeks after moving in and said we are on our way etc. But when the engineer arrived he informed me that all the lines were used up and there was no facility for adsl anyway, i would have to wait up to two years for more lines to be available in my area.

I thought I had got over this problem as I now have an internet connection and telephone through Iberbanda (via a small box on my roof)
Fantastic!

BUT...

I have now recieved a bill and a soliciters letter threatening me with court from telefonica saying i owe line rental and adsl costs for the 11 months since I moved house. I rang and informed telefonica that this must be a mistake as I have had no phone or internet connection for this period due to the fact they couldn't provide it etc.. They said they were aware of this and I still had to pay as I never actually cancelled the original request for the phone.

This is totally mad as it was not I that didn't want it , but them who told me I couldn't have it.. How on earth was i meant to know that i had to then cancel the request???

I now face going to court as I refuse to pay for something i have never had nor could they provide

WHAT A MESS

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:57 pm

Sounds a total nightmare, I hope common sense comes through in the court case.

Everything I have heard about Telefonica has not been good, everyone tells me I will have a nightmare cancelling etc.

chikitita
Tourist

Postby chikitita » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:13 am

no i disagree, we have nothing but good service from telefonica, we moved from coin to marbella and cancelled our line and they did within 1 week, we had to fax them...which we did and they cancelled, we moved back to marbella and decided we would like internet at home again so......i called telefonica they came out THE NEXT DAY and fixed the line and came out 1 week or so later with the ADSL, we have always had good service with them, but i think it depends if you are speaking to them in spanish or english?? if you do it in english they will drag their feet, but we did it in spanish both times and they were great!
maybe we were just lucky and caught them on a good day each time we called??? or maybe not you decide!

almarb
Tourist

Postby almarb » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:47 am

I spoke to them in Spanish at all times..I think its just silly bureaucracy as I have not had any problems previously, but that's not a lot of help now.. just be aware to confirm any requests and be sure to cancel things that you wouldn,t think necessary

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:30 am

I called them out to move a socket and the guy who came said it wasn't possible to put it where I wanted it unless he ran cable around the wall. Naturally I said no but was charged me the full cost anyway. It was possible as I got someone else to do it.