Carinsurance, who are you with?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Carinsurance, who are you with?

Postby Ulli » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:46 am

Hi,

I am coming up to the time of renewing my car insutance and I am finding it is really expensive :(
I am currently with Linea Directa and have started looking around finding a few better prices (Direct Seguros, Genesis Seguros).
Does anybody out there have any advice or experience with the above or others?
'Thanks for the help!

Ulli
F?dd i Sverige men med Guds hj?lp Sk?ning :)

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:56 am

I am with Linea Directa, it was easy for me though as I was with Direct Line in UK and they were able to transfer my no claims bonus over without any hassles to my spanish policy.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:32 pm

arn´t alot of them underwritten by loyds of london ? i wonder if its possible to go directly to them...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:35 pm

We're with Zurich.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:21 pm

You may possibly find better prices than Linea Directa but you will not find a better service.

Remember, you only get what you pay for!

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:24 pm

Yeah I know about getting what you pay for but the prices are ridiculous that they are quoting.
10% of the carvalue for 3rd party lowest possible insurance :shock: ... That is with no preious accidents or claims etc and I kind of wanted a bit more as far as insurance level... :?

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:39 pm

Wholeheartedly agree with Beachcomber - we are with Linea Directa and found them wonderful when we had to make a substantial claim. Regularly rang us to keep us informed of progress and to check that we were getting over the accident OK, and great comfort to be able to speak to someone in English at midnight just after the accident when all my Spanish knowledge flew out of the window!

el gordo
Tourist

Car Insurance

Postby el gordo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:16 pm

We've been with Linea Directa for four years now, their service has always been good and it is a big help, as Brenda writes, to be able to communicate in English in an emergency.
We've had other quotes but it wasn't worth the hassle of changing.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:38 pm

I also use Linea Directa. I have made two claims and used their breakdown down service twice and have found them to be excellent.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:12 pm

Linea Directa again for us too, been with them for 9 years and had 1 major claim which went without a hitch. Would go for a quality service above saving money, everytime, especially with how they drive here!!

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:44 pm

My Linea Directa renewal had increased significanlty despite no claims so I got another quote form another company and Linea then reduced it to match saving me a lot of hassle changing so it's worth challenging if your price has increased by much

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:51 pm

That's well worth knowing. Thank you, Sunkissed.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:48 am

Ulli wrote:Yeah I know about getting what you pay for but the prices are ridiculous that they are quoting.
10% of the carvalue for 3rd party lowest possible insurance
What's the car value got to do with it? It is 3rd party only. If you insured a wreck it could cost 10x the value of the car.

I can also agree with other comments about Linea Directa - I have had two claims and both were handled brilliantly.

Sid

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:09 am

The reason I mentioned the car value is that one would normally be relevant to the other...
If your car is valued at €20'000 and you are paying €500 as opposed to be valued at €7000 and paying €700. It is after all according to what they would have to "replace", pay for for repairs etc that they value it on as well as previous claims.
I will call them and tell them about the lower quote as they do say they "guarantee" the lowest quote so thanks for that sunkissed.

mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mark » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:37 am

I was once with Abbeygate, I took out European breakdown with them, they duly took the money out of the bank and then failed to forward any documentation. After 10 months of numerous e-mails and telephone calls asking for the relevant paperwork, I gave up...........Went with Linea Directa.

I had to claim off my neighbour who reversed into my vehicle and I have to say LD were great. As Beach says 'you get what you pay for'.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:02 pm

so does that mean that linea directa are the better company...or the bigger company with the most "muscle" and therefore always get a desireable result?

i´d hate to think that just because they are the bigger company they use their power to influence the outcome of a claim?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mydogdylan » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:29 pm

I'm with Abbeygate,very helpful they are,with no problems.

Mind you i hav'nt had a accident yet :wink:

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:32 pm

OK, called LD with quote from Direct Seguros which I found gave the lowest and they undercut it!!! :)

So in the end they gave me a price for fully comp which was €60 lower than their initial quote for 3rd party cheapest version. I can't believe it and thank you Sunkissed for pointing out that it might be worth it :) !

The girl actually also recommended that I should do the same when our other car comes up for renewal when I asked if I should.

Very happy LD customer now :)

Ulli

Expats United

Postby Expats United » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:38 pm

When we first insured our car in Spain we were with a company which gave a special deal for over 30s. Their basic premium was low, but the maximum no claims discount was 30%.
This is all very well until one tries to get quotations from Linea Direct, who base all their quotes on percentage NCD not on years with no claims. Linea Direct were never able to better our existing renewal price.
We are now insured through a local broker in Sabinillas, Hamilton Insurance,
Nigel Unsworth, the Manager, is a very helpful chap who will do his best to get a competitive quote.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:19 pm

:D There's a new player on the market this year....Liberty. We've just changed from Ibex to them and saved 50€ on thirdparty. Cover seems to be the same, policy in English, Green card and roadside assistance...will let you know how we get on.
PS I am told that Liberty used to be "Royal Sun Alliance". :?