why is the airport bar so expensive ???

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

why is the airport bar so expensive ???

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:22 pm

why do people pay the prices ??? i dont get it ! when u can get the same food and drinks for a third of the price down the road ????

the people who pay these prices are to blame. if people STOPPED paying these prices.. then they would have to put them down.

two coffees and a diet coke was 9 euros the other day, i choked when he said.. and pushed the tray back towards the bloke. he was all "what ya doing??" i said i´m not paying those prices and walked away.

what the hell does everyone pay these prices for ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:01 pm

Span
What you save at the airport you waste in shoe leather trailing around the Supermarkets looking for the cheapest condoms.
Sometimes frugality is not the most cost effective way.

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:07 pm

Yep, spanish lad, agree with you on the prices, but an experience of ours left us believing it is well worth paying the extra at the airport! Stopping at a bar about a mile from Granada airport, we had the car broken into when my parents went back to UK on a visit. A leather jacket, my dad's residencia card and driving licence and 2 suitcases full of stuff like clothes, digital camera, ciggies, tobacco etc. were all taken from the car. So for the price of an extra euro for a drink, it ended up costing them in the region of £500 to replace everything. And to top it all, my mum ended up paying £42 for 200 ciggies in UK when she had enough to last her whilst there which cost no more than 40€ for twice the amount!!! Oh, and a replacement barrel on the key lock which they had damaged getting into the car. Doesn't always pay..... B**stuards!!

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby k » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:39 pm

Agree on both arguments here, but everyone knows they are going to the airport, so why don't they pack a sarnie and carry a drink. It isn't that much extra to carry and it is all gone before you get to your destination.
I am obviously speaking for the penny (euro) pinchers.
We all recognise that they have us over a barrel, the theory is, if you are thirsty and hungry enough, you will pay anything for it.
I must add, I would not have thought of the car being broken into whilst taking a quick break prior to arriving at airport. How times change.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:08 am

hi
OK have never seen an airport bar that wasn't expensive. Seems they count on the fact people are off on a jolly and ready to pay! only time i really part with money is if I'm out of somewhere ( China say ) and want to get rid of extra local currency that will cost me to re-convert. Never really had to worry about getting things stolen while going somewhere out of airport. As some say bring your own!! mind you a lot of places airport restaurants are losing it to the fast food giants ...maybe the bars will go the same way...I should be so lucky.....

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:04 am

admitedly a coffee in costa coffee is 1.75 in the uk.

but then, stansted airport in the bars. liverpool airport in the bars. all reasonably priced, they might add 10p to the prices.

but come on! €7.25 for a bocodillo ??? €1.80 for a coffee??? €2 for a half of lager??? thats daylight robbery!!!!

i´m not even talking about the bar in departures, thats in arrivals!

the bar in departures is ok, the one after customs, prices in there are not too bad i guess, at least the drinks are a good prices, gin and coke €3.50, thats the same as anywhere else nowdays. but then their sandwiches are still €6 !!

much easier to stop at Lidl on the way and pay €1.67 for a large pack of pringles than €2.50 for a small one in the airport!

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:45 am

I tend to check in then go and feed the kids in the cafe back along the road a little way. reasonable food, reasonable prices and reasonably quick service.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:42 pm

Try san julian the little pueblo where most of the airport workers live. Turn right just before the san miguel brewery under a bridge and the first bar on the left, good tapas, good prices. Few mins from the airport.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:19 am

Another option is the bar just across from the airport (by the railway station).
A nice easy stroll after you have checked in - especially if your flight is to be delayed!

Gus

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:10 am

Usually, I'm such a last minute traveller I don't have time for a stroll, or a drink, just a jog to the gate, its a nightmare being late.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:57 pm

... the overheads plus rental are much higher and you are paying for the convenience....
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:33 pm

You shoved the tray back and refused to pay? What is this? Im sorry to say Thats quite disgraceful, you dont have the right to do that in my mind and you should be better educated.

How many years have you been living here those prices are not extortionate and your lovely england is more expensive. Try to be more respectful in future or you might end up in a spot of bother.

In future try to ask about prices before ordering something, I'd love to see you go to Marbella Club Cafe!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:57 pm

yes, i actually walked off and didn´t pay.. yeah right.. like i´d do that...

i started to, but i did pay it. that doesn´t stop me being appalled at the prices.

whens the last time that you went to the bar in stansted dane ??? its a pub, and the prices are level with anywhere in the uk.

i´m not talking about price differences between the UK and Spain. i´m talking about the bars anywhere else and the bars at the airport. thats all.

jade138 i would guess so. i´d imagine that they are airport employees tho, and its not rented to outside contractors, so that rule doesn´t really apply.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:24 pm

Sorry spanish lady i thought you said you did push the tray at him and go without paying.

The prices are maybe overpriced for what you get but most other place you pay the same for more.

They have a micro monopoly in the arrivals lounge and they take advantage of it simple as that

chris24658

Postby chris24658 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:36 am

And why do they sell French water at the airport?