long term car rental

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fearfulfred
Resident

long term car rental

Postby fearfulfred » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:03 pm

Hi all ...
Needing to do a long term rental of a car hopefully out of the airport at Malaga or close by . We also need to use the car to go to the UK and come back to Malaga. I'm not even sure this is possible. Does anyone know who is cheapest? I'm sure someone out there has done this before.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:52 pm

As there have been no replies and with info I am getting from car hire companies it does not seem possible to take a hire car from Spain to UK via the ferry and for us there is no other way having a dog in tow.
Does anyone know how long after the purchase of a car in Spain , we believe we have all the necessary documents to purchase one, it takes for the paperwork to be completed using a gestor so that it is legal to travel to the UK. I am getting desperate and running out of options!
thanx

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:57 pm

Have you tried Hertz or Europcar?

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:59 pm

I have tried hertz and they won't let us cross on the ferry but thanks will try the other and let you know :idea: :P :lol:

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:24 pm

There are no branded car hire companies that will allow you to use the ferry - Its an insurance thing. Hertz will allow you to return to the UK - via the tunnel.

Whats more the tunnel is much easier if you have a hound with you.

But watch which rental scheme they try to sell you .... they wanted to restrict the distance you can travel each day - so instead of a 6 day turn round - they wanted a 10 day hire to cover the distance we need to travel.

Sometimes Hertz have a (return- on way hire...to get cars back to Spain)

Most others wont let you travel out of Spain - some limit you to Spain Portugal and France - This is because they don't have breakdown cover in other countries. more importantly no Insurance - its not worth the risk !

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:33 pm

Thanks Martin ..I will be looking into that one..sounds like it may work
:P :P

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:10 pm

What is it you need to do that a car is so, I read something about a dog, Im bringing two over of my own, pm me or otherwise

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:10 pm

Hi Chris...We live in Quebec, Canada Things is we bought a house in CDS last spring..were supposed to come over and spend the winter but that did not work out due to work. I have had a dog for four years and had promised to bring it over at he same time to see my mother and father in law ( close to 90 years old). As the dog is in Canada he had to have microchip , rabies shot, blood tests etc, all done. We had been going to fly him to London and get a cheap flight later on ( after the visit) to Malaga . Then we found out the ticket for dog would total about 600 pounds one way ! So we started looking at other ways to do it..Fly Air France via Paris to Malaga and rent a car and take the time to drive up tot he UK. Then i came up against rental cars saying no go on ferry ..now i am looking into using the tunnel as apparently that might work..have also though of stop over in Paris with side trip to the UK but was hoping to have a few extra suitcases with me. Also have stuff would like to bring from the UK down to Spain ( in a shed at my mother ion laws)...Eventually hope to work something out but seems things just keep going wrong...