Bringing dog into Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
rubina

Bringing dog into Spain

Postby rubina » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:54 am

Hello.

Is there any restrictions concerning bringing a dog into spain, Costa del Luz??
We are going to move to Spain this year, snd would like to know what apaers we need for our dog.
He is an American Bulldog, and have the normal vacc. every year.
Do we need to give him other vacc.??

Hope you can help :D

Line

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:48 am

Use the search facility, there has been loads of stuff on this subject. There's a few links here to get you strated.

http://andaluciaprojects.com/phpBB2/vie ... light=dogs
http://andalucia.com/pets/home.htm
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:40 pm

Welcome to the Costa de Luz - We're moving out there in September (Chiclana D L F ) and like you taking the hound with us.

As far as I can gather - providing that you have the animal passort which requires it to be chipped and the certificate from the Rabies blood test( 4 weeks after the vacine), thats all that is needed.
Not all animals pass the blood test first time - alow time for a retest and a second vacine and subsequent tests They cost about £100 a go !

I dont know how you plan to get there but the tunnel will alow the animal to be free inside the vehcle - If you go by ferry they have to be caged in the vehcle.

Im not sure about the breed Issue though - I have at the back of my mind that they are stricter with reagrds to Bull terriers with regards to muzzeling them in public.

I am over there next in June - I can ask at the vets for you if youd like.

PS - I hope your learning spanish - YOu wont hear english outside Barossa

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:21 pm

we were going to move to arcos d l f a year ago - but we didnt .. lol.

dogs - if its on the dangerous dogs list it needs to be registered at the town hall - you have to have a licence to have your dog there.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

JJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby JJ » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:34 pm

All dogs need to be registered with the Town Hall now, although I doubt if all dogs are. Ours is a German Shepherd cross and when we went to do the registration in Chiclana we asked how many foreigners has registered. We were the first!!

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:49 am

If the dogs are not returning to the UK then dont waste your money, I got them chipped, rabies injection and passport, thats it, I've now been told they very very rarely check them when leaving, chip and rabies must be done min 3 weeks before departure, they are then given a brief medical check and passports issued, finalised everything to day, 1 human passport and 2 doggy passports in hand waiting at the crossing very soon, Im gong to look like a right nit twit when the yask for apssport, cos Im going to say which ones first....

chrys macphail
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrys macphail » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:58 am

Hi There,
Just a note we bought our dobbie with us to spain, had microchip, rabies vac and all others done before we came, you can pay for a kennel on the ferry, dogs are not allowed to stay in the vehicles anymore, so we were told, as passengers are not allowed to visit them and the journey is too long for them to stay in vehicle. We paid for the kennel and it wasnt much and we visited our pooch whenever we wanted. Drove straight through customs this end they werent interested in us. I have registered my pooch with our vet and i have a card, like a bankers card, to carry with me, apparently they need to have collars, also advised to wear collars for ticks and mossie bites as they can cause serious probs even death.

HOPE THIS GIVES YOU SOME IDEA.
campo chick

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:38 pm

JJ - With regards to registering your dog with the town hall ..... Ever wondered why you were the First .....

Has no one mentioned to you that the - DE LA FRONTERA - part of your town implies that it is close to lawless.

You are talking about Spanish Spain there, not little Britain - Costa del Sol. where us Brit cherish the law.

What you should do and what you need to do are two entirely different things.

I'm sure that I'll get killed in the rush of people telling me different but I rely on my neighbors and my Spanish gestor to tell me what I MUST do and apart from obtaining my registration number to buy the property and pay the basic tax - the rest of the legislation has been summarily ignored - because It can ....

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:16 pm

Martin Page wrote:I'm sure that I'll get killed in the rush of people telling me different but I rely on my neighbors and my Spanish gestor to tell me what I MUST do and apart from obtaining my registration number to buy the property and pay the basic tax - the rest of the legislation has been summarily ignored - because It can ....
The same used to happen in South Africa, depends if you regard the law as gospel, for some obsured reason the brits seem to center their lives around the law, sad but true, though Im a brit by birth I thank the sun gods I was brought up elsewhere or I would be a nervous wreck by now, live a little, loosen up and enjoy life and stop whinging like the brit are so famous for through out the laughing world, tis true I tell ya...