Life in Andalucia after 2years.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:22 pm

katy
but the house was cosy and I wore less clothes than I do inside here. i spend as much on heating here as I would in the UK.
seems to me that its your house that has the problem..not the country.
more to do in the UK etc if its cold.
For example???
integrating is difficult as you are still considered a stranger even after 30 years.
I find this odd..I have managed to integrate and have always been made to feel welcome... I am a foreigner but never a stranger.
I think in your case returning to the UK would be best for you.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:42 pm

Yes - even Katy's "luxury house" is probably built with little regard to insulation. Building standards are laughable really - If I ever get to Spain permanently I'll try to get a house built to spec and don't think I would need air con or much in the way of heating if it is done right.

I generally don't visit my Spanish flat in Dec, Jan or Feb because it only has single glazing and no insulation to speak of.

My UK house is lovely and warm in the winter but it costs (before the recent 20% increases) about 100 pounds a month to keep warm.

Sounds like Katy should probably leave as she thinks the Spanish don't like Brits - not a healthy way to think or live somewhere.

You can't expect everybody to like you all the time!

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 pm

I think it depends on where you lived in the UK. 5 years ago I lived in the Cotswolds and if I knew then what i know now I probably would have stayed in the UK if only for the financial and career suicide you commit coming here.

However, I wouldn't have missed the experience and the things I've learned so I can't really regret it. I'm lucky in not having children or other serious responsibilities.

I know a lot of inland couples who've been here for several years. All are older, early retirment couples. I only know one couple who would have moved again but the ones who don't regret it are now faced with a serious illness in the family and are starting to worry about the future

If any friend of mine below retirement with a half decent job and property asked if they should make the move I would have to say on balance don't do it.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:01 pm

Silver there is nothing wrong with my house as spanish houses go. I find that everyone elses house is colder than mine. Could be a problem with me I suppose. :wink: Perhaps it took me a long time to take off the rose tined glasses and I know you can't expect life, and spain, to stay in the past but a lot of the changes haven't been for the best and yes I do think the spanish are starting to resent the Brits, there are too many of us.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:59 pm

I would have to agree with Katy, the Spanish do really seem to dislike the Brits, in fact not just the Brits but all foreigners, I didn't feel it so much in the early years but the last 3 years or so, I noticed a definite resentment building (similar to the resentment of asylum seekers back in the UK.
During a recent conversation with my Spanish lawyer regarding the new EU directive on Capital gains, I was astounded how bitter she was about what she called "all these English coming here for free health care! :shock: Her attitude was the government should financially punish foreigners to compensate for there "freeloading".
Up until that point I was under the illusion that she liked or at least tolerated us Brits, given that she makes a very good living from us, how wrong I was !!

Lorraine

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:13 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote: During a recent conversation with my Spanish lawyer regarding the new EU directive on Capital gains, I was astounded how bitter she was about what she called "all these English coming here for free health care! :shock: Her attitude was the government should financially punish foreigners to compensate for there "freeloading".
Up until that point I was under the illusion that she liked or at least tolerated us Brits, given that she makes a very good living from us, how wrong I was !!

Lorraine
I don't think it's specifically the Brits, (although I'm sure we deserve it!) it's "extranjeros" in general. And who can blame them? There seems to be all the dross from Eastern Europe, as well as us, turning up on their doorstep. Most of the Brits are quite well off, and I'm sure the Spanish resent that, and most of the Eastern Europeans appear to be less than honest. Probably there are people here that have good Spanish friends, they certainly don't dislike all Brits, but as sensible peope here have observed, there definitely seems to an increase in the resentment towards foreigners. I'll check it out next week! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:26 pm

The Spanish in my area have a saying about foreigners, particularly English:

'La basura de hoy y los de antes'

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:32 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:During a recent conversation with my Spanish lawyer regarding the new EU directive on Capital gains, I was astounded how bitter she was about what she called "all these English coming here for free health care! :shock: Her attitude was the government should financially punish foreigners to compensate for there "freeloading".

Lorraine
The same could be said back in the UK, though I was born in the UK I was frowned upon in my own land of birth, why..because I didnt have a strong english accent, I feel more welcome in Spain that I did in the UK for 5 years I was there, the brits that I did meet in South Africa euther stayed (very few) and the ones that are still there today felt more at home due to the intergration of such a vast natinality base, sadly this I did not see in the UK, sure past history is SA doesnt paint it so but you'll would always see the Indian, Pakistanian and Chiannesse along with alot of "other" european countries get along, its time to accept that we all need to get along no matter where we're from, be it the french, the germans etc, intergration is the only way forward, without accepting it so I believe anyone who feels alienated is wasting there time in leaving the UK and should never attempt at even the thought of going elsewhere, it still baffles me when I read how its not like the UK, my answer is simply this, is it always greener on the other side, its only so if you put effort behind it, Take a deep breathe, Im finished.. have fun and enjoy the cultural difference Spain has to offer

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:19 am

Could be a problem with me I suppose.
kate a thermometer will tell you the temperature...if you do feel cold when the temperature is not low...you could have a blood circulation problem.
I know you can't expect life, and Spain, to stay in the past
Oh yes I agree that "progress" has done nothing for Spain. ...
but then is quite common to hear elders talk of the good ol days where ever they live.
yes I do think the Spanish are starting to resent the Brits, there are too many of us.
quantity?????
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:06 am

Whilst there is an awful lot wrong with the UK, I don't think South Africa is the ideal country to be used as a role model when it comes to social and racial integratation. It must be one of the most dangerous places in the western world. The Land Distribution programme looks set to further inflame tensions.
You'll be suggesting we follow Zimbabwe next.
Regards, Frank

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:47 pm

frank says
I don't think it's specifically the Brits, (although I'm sure we deserve it!) it's "extranjeros" in general. And who can blame them? There seems to be all the dross from Eastern Europe, as well as us, turning up on their doorstep. Most of the Brits are quite well off, and I'm sure the Spanish resent that, and most of the Eastern Europeans appear to be less than honest. Probably there are people here that have good Spanish friends, they certainly don't dislike all Brits, but as sensible peope here have observed, there definitely seems to an increase in the resentment towards foreigners.

Its not just here in Andalucia, we are leaving to go to Valencia for Las Fallas here the local papers headlines.

Fire bomb attack as Las Fallas tones down satire

10 March 2006

VALENCIA — An investigation was underway after four figures used in Valencia's Las Fallas festival were destroyed with a fire bomb.

The polystyrene figures were set alight in the early hours of the morning by youths who threw a petrol bomb from a motorbike.

They showed a woman and her child and another woman in African dress.

The attack comes after reports y claimed some of the traditionally satirical figures used in Las Fallas have been toned down so not to cause offence to Muslims.

The paper claimed in the wake of the Mohammed cartoons furore, groups who make the usually disrespectful figures, feared
reprisals

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:02 pm

Las Fallas - I was there a few years back. Fantastic although I was a nervous wreck as all through the week before, people were setting off firecrackers all over the place.

Funny how cultures are different - the number of times I saw fathers and mothers helping their very small children (maybe 4 yo) to light a firecracker with a match in the street!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:33 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote:Las Fallas - I was there a few years back. Fantastic although I was a nervous wreck as all through the week before, people were setting off firecrackers all over the place.

Funny how cultures are different - the number of times I saw fathers and mothers helping their very small children (maybe 4 yo) to light a firecracker with a match in the street!
We stayed in the center of Valencia for a week once, and although it wasn't Las Fallas, it was some sort of excuse for setting off fireworks, and the noise is absolutely deafening. You'd be a nervous wreck living in the center, I'd imagine! ;-)
Regards, Frank

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:04 pm

We lived in South Africa for 20 + years and people ask us why we wouldn't want to go back there. Yes it is beautiful, the weather is lovely etc... But as Frank says, I do not fancy living in a house with burglar bars and alarms, guard dogs and a fear of going out at night. Even the "better" areas are no longer as safe as they were. Australia sounds like a lovely option, but getting in there is problematic and they also have their issues with foreigners - so would we fit in there? Plus is is a long way from UK and family and a lot to give up if it does not work out!

Everyone would like to live in a warm, safe country when they retire, but the reality is not always easy!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:30 pm

samizdat wrote:frank says
I don't think it's specifically the Brits, (although I'm sure we deserve it!) it's "extranjeros" in general. And who can blame them? There seems to be all the dross from Eastern Europe, as well as us, turning up on their doorstep. Most of the Brits are quite well off, and I'm sure the Spanish resent that, and most of the Eastern Europeans appear to be less than honest. Probably there are people here that have good Spanish friends, they certainly don't dislike all Brits, but as sensible peope here have observed, there definitely seems to an increase in the resentment towards foreigners.

Its not just here in Andalucia, we are leaving to go to Valencia for Las Fallas here the local papers headlines.
I live near Valencia and today none of the Spanish I know make any connection with racism muslims or foreigners as the reason for the arson attack on the main display in front of the Town Hall in Valencia, which unlike the other 350 or so displays is paid for by the Town hall and never has included anything controversial. To a man they believe it is political or Catalans.....both of whom detest conservative Valencia.

This year following the crazy cartoon riots an effigy of mohammed was removed along with one of the Pope with a condom from minor effigies.

Its patronising to suggest that Spanish resent Brits because they are better off. Come to Valencia where the majority of Brits live in ¨chalets¨ or cheap apartments, no lift. freezing their nuts off in the winter, boozing it up and causing riots in Lidl on a Thursday when the special offers arrive.

Mike

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:17 pm

Come to Valencia where the majority of Brits live in ¨chalets¨ or cheap apartments, no lift. freezing their nuts off in the winter, boozing it up and causing riots in Lidl on a Thursday when the special offers arrive.
t was some sort of excuse for setting off fireworks, and the noise is absolutely deafening. You'd be a nervous wreck living in the center, I'd imagine! Wink

Doesn't sound like i'm going to have a fun week - deafened by the spanish son y son and stamped on by drunken british geriatrics rushing to get booze from Lidl :roll:

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:49 am

frank wrote:Whilst there is an awful lot wrong with the UK, I don't think South Africa is the ideal country to be used as a role model when it comes to social and racial integratation. It must be one of the most dangerous places in the western world. The Land Distribution programme looks set to further inflame tensions.
You'll be suggesting we follow Zimbabwe next.
I dont disagree with you at all, as far as land goes ts simly been given back to those who were forceably removed from it, and all the land there wasnt bought by the farmers it ws borrowed to them, they've had there chance to buy it so they have no one to blame, its looks lke the are just land grabbing but its a different storey in reality, as for crime it has gone all *** up thanks to a sudden mass influx of low lifes from other countries there

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:35 am

Lorraine and Katy, you say that the Spanish are beginning to dislike the English, but there have been many Brits in the areas you live for many, many years. The village I live in has only 12 English residents living there permanently and the locals cannot get enough of us! They are trying their hardest to speak English, even though we are trying to speak to them in Spanish, so we speak to them in Spanish and they reply in English and we correct each other. There is definitely no resentment about English people living there - but as with Marbella and Mijas, only time will tell when they (if they do) will get fed up of us.

Katy - consider a cave house - they are much warmer in winter and cooler in summer and I don't care what anyone says, they are not poor man's homes - many of them are luxurious.

Frank - yes it will be hard to leave my family for 3 months, but I will only do it if it necessary for financial reasons , but it is very, very cold in the winter (and central heating is very tempting!!).

Silver - quite right about altitude and cold winters, but extremely hot in the summer!! Very extreme temps here!

Been in the UK for a week now and we have had nothing but rain, rain, rain and being told that it has been hot, hot, hot at home in Galera!! Heading for a cold weekend in the UK, so glad I am flying back on Sunday. Expensive to live here socially (drinks, eating out etc.) but has pluses on other goods like sportswear and branded trainers etc., only problem is the weight allowance we get with Ryanair!!

Anyway, life is still good and I am endeavouring to integrate with the Spanish more than the English living in the village.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:31 am

anewlife wrote:There is definitely no resentment about English people living there
But, how do you or does anyone who isn't Spanish know this for sure? The Spanish (indeed anyone) are quite capable of being friendly to your face but who knows what is said behind closed doors?
Yes, of course the Spanish like to sell off their property at grossly inflated prices and therefore in one way can't "get enough" of us, but equally they are resentful about the spiralling property prices, "English" estate agents, expats who drive illegal cars and foreigners who won't speak Spanish. There is also discrimination i.e. one rule for "them", one rule for "us".
There are Spanish fori out there, equivalent to this one, bemoaning the English invasion. In many ways, I don't blame them.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:20 pm

samizdat wrote:

Doesn't sound like i'm going to have a fun week - deafened by the spanish son y son and stamped on by drunken british geriatrics rushing to get booze from Lidl :roll:
Oh it's good fun, they certainly know how to party, it's just noisy! Especially when you aren't expecting it! ;-)
Regards, Frank