Question About Orgiva And Las Alpujarras Area

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
aimee
Tourist

Question About Orgiva And Las Alpujarras Area

Postby aimee » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:03 pm

Hi,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while now.

My husband, our spoiled pooch and me are moving to Andalucia in four months.

Problem is we're still not that sure as to where in Andalucia.

Our family who are in England (we're in Viet Nam right now ) have been doing the initial "scouting" for areas based on our own requirements and after looking around Cadiz & Ronda and prime coastal area ( which they think we wouldn't like as a place to live in ), we're now focusing our search on Granada.

Granada city seems to be very beautiful but we need a big garden for dog ( & more dogs in the future ) and it might be difficult to find one right in the city plus properties are more expensive.

So now, we're thinking about the villages around Las Alpujarras. Basically, our most important needs are:

1) Garden
2) Good internet connection
3) Restaurants & bars for occasional night out.

Also, depending on property rates, we might also have a B & B near the house so such a place where this is feasible would be great.

We're thinking Orgiva ( not as beautiful as other villages, they say, but that's fine as long as it's not an industrial garbage which I'm sure is not ).

My questions are:

1) What do you think about Orgiva and any other places you can recommend?

2) What's the weather like thereabouts? Does it snow in winter? (After surviving Hanoi's summer heat, I don't think Andalucian summers will ever bother us )

3) Are there any jobs for expats around these areas? In case, the B & B won't work

Thanks a lot

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:52 pm

Personaly I believe that Orgiva would be the worst place to settle in the Alujarras. There is a large New Age Travellers site there....need I say more?
Also the prices in the bars shops etc in Orgiva are higher than elswhare in the Alpujarras.

I would suggest looking at Lanjaron or some of the villages higher up.

We are at an altitude of 710 meters and this year, according to the locals, we had the first snow for 56 years.

The employment prospects in the area are less than zero, unless of course you are a donkey!!

Lesley01
Tourist

Orgiva

Postby Lesley01 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:08 pm

Hi Aimee

Check your private messages ... I've sent you a couple.

MarkF
Resident

Re: Orgiva

Postby MarkF » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:55 pm

I spent a 2 week holiday in Orgiva last year, rented a lovely villa, pool, orchard, large garden, the lot. :D But............the beggars really *beep* me off, god knows what the locals think. :(

If you want to have conflict with clog wearing, body ringed *beep*-heads, move to Orgiva.

aimee
Tourist

Thanks A Lot For Your Opinion Guys

Postby aimee » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:18 am

Mark, Lesley & Alpujarra,

Thanks a lot for your input guys.

That was actually one of our worries. I had previously read in the Lonely Planet that Orgiva is scruffy, but we just took it with a grain of salt, because LP is not always right on the money with their opinion of a place, anyway.

It definitely does'nt sound like a good place to raise a family ( which we plan on doing in Spain ), is it?

We will of course look around the Las Alpujarras area - Lanjaron we will definitely look at. Originally, I did like the 3 popular villages higher up, but a population of 2k seems to be a bit too small..

I never thought that finding a house in a region that's suppose to be very beautiful can be very difficult. :o But I guess that's just part of the whole "fun" of moving.

I'll keep you updated. Meanwhile, I need to do a million more things to get our dog ready for Spain ( not easy coming from VN, mind you )

Thanks a lot!

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:06 am

Lanjaron is also very expensive to buy property and as it is situated on the side of a mountain a dificult place to buy a house with land.
There is a famous health spa there so in summer it is overflowing with mainly elderly visitors.
I think your best bet is to look at the villages on the mountains between Orgiva and the sea.Or to look at the villages in the mountains behind Salobrena.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:08 am

Alpujarra wrote:Personaly I believe that Orgiva would be the worst place to settle in the Alujarras.
You're just saying that because you don't want them near you, with a pack of noisy dogs! ;-) Not that I blame you. We visited a village last week, the other side of the Motril/Granada road, and you could not move for dog s--t! Even our friends that live there commented on it.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:54 pm

Granada city seems to be very beautiful but we need a big garden for dog ( & more dogs in the future ) and it might be difficult to find one right in the city plus properties are more expensive.
Have you looked at Loja...its not part of Las Alpujarras .... but its close to Granada and only about 40mins to Malaga
we might also have a B & B
good situation for visitors..45 mins to ski or beach... and does not get as cold as alpujaras. Antequera might suit also...
jobs for expats
these are few and far between anywhere in andalucia.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.