EL CHORRO GORGE - HOW LONG!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

EL CHORRO GORGE - HOW LONG!

Postby patricia » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:52 pm

Does anyone know how long the tunnel is at El Chorro! and how long it took to construct! Fascinating place and I was wondering just how long it is. What an engineering feat! :lol:

aligato
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aligato » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:40 pm

There are I believe three or more tunnels and I think it crosses the gorge on a viaduct or two as well.
Haven't been for a quite a few years. Always wanted to walk along the suspended walkway in the gorge. It looked very dodgy with great big holes in the walkway. Our guide book suggested walking along the railwaytrack through a tunnel or two to access the walkway. As we stood on the station a couple of trains went through. Didn't bother!

Has the walkway been repaired?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:18 pm

Reading one page, it seems they are looking for a firm to repair the walkway, Caminito del Rey, and then to charge to walk it. It also adds the following about entering the tunnel,

Nota: aunque por la vía del tren circula mucha gente porque es la única forma de entrar en el desfiladero, hay que recordar que si te pilla la Guardia Civil la multa mínima es de 500 €
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: EL CHORRO GORGE - HOW LONG!

Postby frank » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:22 pm

patricia wrote:Does anyone know how long the tunnel is at El Chorro! and how long it took to construct!
:lol:
Four years to construct, according to this,
http://www.sol.com/en/modulo.asp?IdCont ... ovincia=29
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:17 pm

I think some of the scenes in the movie "Von Ryan's Express" were filmed there.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:55 pm

That was helpful. Thank you for your response. I have been there today on the train and I don't think it would be a good idea to walk along it. Great junks missing and everything looking very wobbly indeed. However I just could not tell from going though the the tunnel exactly how long it was. Seemed awfully long though. But thanks for everybodies response. Most helpful :lol:

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:06 pm

Where the train was dive bombed was at El Chorro, under the viaduct