Nasty Suprises

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Nasty Suprises

Postby katy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:34 pm

painting my toenails yesterday and saw what looked like a tiny pebble in between my little toe...It was a tick!! When I yanked it out it ran across the terrace...ugh.

Suprise 2...bought three excalibur tick collars for the pets from the vet, a whopping 19.95 euros each. anyone know what they cost in the UK?

Just a thought that some of the topics on meagre cost of living budgets, it doesn't take much to ruin your figures.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:13 pm

A decent flea collar will cost £5+ in the UK katy.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:49 pm

Scalibor collars are between 10 and 15 quid in the UK, depending on size and where you buy!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Nasty Suprises

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:16 pm

We buy pet stuff off ebay.co.uk as is much cheaper than available locally to us. Scalibor is probably more expensive as covers leishmania where many of the others do not.

For those wishing to save a few euros they are 28 euros for 2 on ebay.es

Mike

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:21 pm

Katy
I admire your tenacity and patience, they must take a lot of catching and it must be hell to get the collars on....

:lol: :lol: :wink:

Chrissi

Postby Chrissi » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:24 pm

the vet in la campana does Scalibor products.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:36 pm

Thats good spanish, was thinking of asking for a small size to fit my toe! 8) Think it must be the tick season as the two people in front of me were also buying the collars.

jennym
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jennym » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:05 am

I just bought 2 scalibor collars for my dogs on Friday from my local vet in the UK and they were £16.05 EACH!

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:06 am

The excalibor collar is not kust for tick`s it`s for Sand Fly, a sand fly bite will kill your dog!
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

jennym
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jennym » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:37 am

The two I have just bought maybe different? They are called 'scalibor 'and not 'excalibor' I am worried about my doggies now!
We are coming over there on the 17th April, can anybody recommend anything else I may need to protect them please?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 am

Sorry, I was wrong with the name, it is scalibor. I also use Frontline on my dogs and cats, thats expensive as well.

jennym
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jennym » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks Katy!

The prices for veterinary products are awful. They wonder why people abandon their poor pets.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:01 pm

jennym wrote: The prices for veterinary products are awful. They wonder why people abandon their poor pets.
Sorry jenny, I can't see where that is avalid excuse. If people can't afford a pet with ALL of the costs involved then they shouldn't have one.

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:22 pm

Remember that flea collars dont last forever so if you buy one thats been hanging around for some time in the shop it may be getting out of date by the time you buy it, I use Frontline and it also protects against sand fly.

jennym
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jennym » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:28 pm

Sorry Spanish hopes - you are absolutely right, I never meant it in the way it sounded. No, people should not have pets without being fully aware of the costs involved.

chrys macphail
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrys macphail » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:26 pm

scalibor collars cost 20 euros from the vets and guard against the tick and leischmans which kills the dogs its actually from the bite of the mossie so my vet informed me the collars last for 6 months and have a long life on the box they are foil wrapped to ensure no moisture or sunlight get in. I have 3 dogs in the campo and have already been told of a neighbours dog who died from leischmans and a horrible death it was. So 20 euros for 6 months protection is a small price to pay and thats only about 14 pound sterling. so not much cheaper to buy in the uk and the collars are for ticks only as you dont have leischmans in the uk. :? :? :?
campo chick

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Nasty Suprises

Postby hillybilly » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:10 pm

Bongtrees wrote:For those wishing to save a few euros they are 28 euros for 2 on ebay.es
Never throught to look on eBay for these as I assumed they could only be bought from a vet but thanks to your pointer have just bought one via Spanish eBay for my hound for €13.50. Cheers!

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:47 pm

curatokid wrote:Remember that flea collars dont last forever so if you buy one thats been hanging around for some time in the shop it may be getting out of date by the time you buy it, I use Frontline and it also protects against sand fly.
I've used frontline in SA, where can I get it from in the Velez-Malaga region

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:38 pm

I would think that most vets and pharmacies would have it. The vet at Caleta (by the market) certainly does.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:49 pm

jennym wrote:Sorry Spanish hopes - you are absolutely right, I never meant it in the way it sounded. No, people should not have pets without being fully aware of the costs involved.
No problem jenny, I'm not an animal rights guerilla but just thnk a little thought can save a lot of pain sometimes. There is always another route rather than abandonment, sometimes euthenasia would be kinder.