Power Cuts

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

Power Cuts

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:16 am

Here in La Cala for unknown reasons (surges?) our electricity switches off several times per week.

When I say switches off, what I mean is that a main switch in the fuse box trips, and has to be reset. This does not appear to have any connection to use of appliances, as it happens with very few items being used.

This is fine if you are around, but not at night or if you are out.

I have a UPS for the computer, but is it possible to buy anything which stops the main fuse tripping, and if so, where would you buy it?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:23 am

:D Alan....it may be worth replacing the trip. We had the same problem for three years before I tried that in desperation and it hasn't tripped since, except for known causes (like wifey over-filling the Iron!!) :lol:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:42 am

These ELCBs do become weak over the course of time and sometimes changing the switch will solve the problem.

Sevillana/Endesa will insist that nothing that happens on the supply side of the consumer unit will make the earth leakage switch trip but this is a blatant lie.

The main ELCB into my supply will go for months without tripping then will do so three or four times in a day for no apparent reason.

My UPSes also have a site wiring fault pilot light (indicating a conflict between a phase and neutral on the supply side) and this will also come on for a few minutes then go off again without touching anything inside the house

I don't know of anything that will prevent any of these things happening except the unlikely event of a massive investment in the electricity supply infrastructure.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:50 pm

they can be bypassed or uprated. but if its just random trips i would say more that it could be an applience with a fault. perhaps the washing machine / dishwasher thats not on all the time ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

answer not !

Postby meseta » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:29 am

Years ago when I worked and lived in Nigeria, we had a constant problem with fuses blowing. When I called in the local electrician, he just suggested that we replace all the fuses and by the way did we have any metal coat hangers he could use for the job !!!!