market day: is this typical?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pete_l
Resident

market day: is this typical?

Postby pete_l » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:15 pm

I went down to Baza market this week, as I was told it's one of the
better local markets. Never having been to a spanish market I didn't
really have much in the way of expectations. Here's my impressions

cheap clothes
short spanish women
fruit and veg
short spanish men
cheap clothes
(unrefrigerated) meat and fish
cheap shoes
vans selling roast chickens
the occasional brit (some short, some tall)
cheap clothes
framed pictures
pots 'n' pans
and more cheap clothes

What I didn't see was much in the way of local produce, apart from
possibly some of the F 'n' V and maybe the meat stalls.

Now, the markets I've been to in the UK appear to be run by groups
of individuals who go from town to town, selling the same low quality
stuff (no receipts, returns, warranties) everywhere they go. The setup
in Baza gave me the impression that it's the same there.

What are other people's thoughts of their local markets? If they're
like this one, I can't see that I'll be spending much time there in the
future.

Pete

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:02 am

well the market i use most, several of the traders , have often, with clothes and shoes, happily swapped them a week or 2 later for different sizes or refunded if did fit etc......

Markets seem to vary wek to week, as to which traders attend, and weather can affect this as well.

I have never yet managed to get to the one in Baza, Wednesdays are always awkward for me, but have attended many others , though I avoid Albox, as they seem to inflate theri prices there for brits

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:37 pm

As markets go I've personally found Baza the best so far, followed by Huercal Overa and then Albox, perhaps followed by Garrucha. The trouble with Huercal Overa is that it's split into two - the fruit & veg being quite a walk from the main market. If it's plants & trees for the garden, then it's Albox.

It depends on what you're looking for at the time I think. Some are better for clothes, some for fruit & veg and others offer a good mixture - like Baza.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:20 pm

Try the Fuengirola Sunday Market, it's the nearest thing I've seen in Andalucia to the Portabello Road and we got half the furniture for our house there.
Grouser

colm o'shea
Andalucia.com Amigo

markets

Postby colm o'shea » Mon May 01, 2006 11:00 am

Would fuengirola sunday market be the place to try for old style furniture ?(suitable for a rustic style village house )

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon May 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Yes it would, but watch out for what they call antiques they really load the price on. Don't forget to bargain, particularly with the Moroccans.
Grouser

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Mon May 01, 2006 2:34 pm

I think you'll find Fuengirola rastro is on a Saturday.There is also a large car boot style market on Wednesdays at Benalmadena (Parque de la Paloma). The new Sunday market at La Trocha shopping centre in Coín has a few people selling some furniture as well.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 pm

I think you'll find Fuengirola rastro is on a Saturday
Yes, but there is also a Sunday market down by the harbour.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Tue May 02, 2006 2:24 pm

Sorry, I did mean the big Saturday one at the feria ground in Los Boliches. Blame it on my misspent youth.
Grouser

heathxxx
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby heathxxx » Thu May 04, 2006 11:55 pm

I think the best market I've been to in my area is probably the Sunday market, near the bus terminal in Granada. Huge selection of stalls, including cheap clothes :wink: - but lots of other stuff too.

Like others have said, you tend to see some of the same traders at different towns. Anyone who's been to Loja market or Santa Fe, to name but two, will surely have seen and heard the "singing" shoe seller :lol:

Alhama de Granada seems to be very good for local produce.

If it's plants and flowers for your garden, there's usually a stall that goes to Loja, Alhama de Granada and Santa Fe. Their prices and quality of plants is excellent.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Fri May 05, 2006 8:18 am

What day is the market at Alhama de Granada?

Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susi » Sat May 06, 2006 10:39 am

Alhama de Granada market is on a Friday. Whilst you are there visit the English food shop Talk of the Town on the Granada road.

heathxxx
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby heathxxx » Sat May 06, 2006 11:26 am

Talk of The Town is a short walk from where the market is held in Alhama de Granada. Not been in there myself as there's nothing "English" I've missed so far - I like the Spanish food :wink:

It is handy to know though that if there's anything "English" you've definately gotta have... they're there :)

Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susi » Sat May 06, 2006 3:07 pm

They also sell English books and greetings cards and stock vegetarian stuff such as Tofu.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 06, 2006 4:42 pm

Try the sunday market at Malaga, opposite the football stadium. Some great bargains but watch the pickpockets.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Sat May 06, 2006 6:08 pm

Thanks Susi.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat May 06, 2006 10:55 pm

heathxxx wrote:Talk of The Town is a short walk from where the market is held in Alhama de Granada. Not been in there myself as there's nothing "English" I've missed so far - I like the Spanish food :wink:
I like pretty much all Spanish food as well. I draw the the line at sesos(brains), callos(tripe) and never really had a hankering after pigs ears either! Think I like nearly all sea food, although I tried cazón(dogfish?) and not sure whether it was off, but it was awful.
Any other personal likes or dislikes in the food line?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

heathxxx
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby heathxxx » Sun May 07, 2006 12:06 pm

[/quote]

I like pretty much all Spanish food as well. I draw the the line at sesos(brains), callos(tripe) and never really had a hankering after pigs ears either! Think I like nearly all sea food, although I tried cazón(dogfish?) and not sure whether it was off, but it was awful.
Any other personal likes or dislikes in the food line?[/quote]

My dog loves the pigs ears, especially the "crunchy" ones you can buy at pet shops!! :lol:

I particularly like trying all the different meats, which I find to be of far better quality than back in the UK. The different varieties of sausages I love too. Being a "Northerner" I was delighted to discover a Spanish equivalent to black pudding, but I forget what it's called now :wink:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 07, 2006 3:37 pm

Black pudding is Moricilla or morcadilla. didn't eat it in the UK but a tapas bar here does it hot with onion, moorish.

There isn't much about spanish food I don't like but I think none of it is anything special. I like menus that have a hint of this/a bit of that/exotic sauces etc. Am a bit faddy about fish too. I really dislike pulpo and also paying for expensive fish to find out it arrives soaked in garlic to the extent it makes the eyes water, may just as well order boquerones. Can't bring myself to eat calamares en tinto, all those tentacles jingling around, ugh :!:

As for the topic "markets", hate them in any place, any country.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun May 07, 2006 5:40 pm

katy wrote:Black pudding is Moricilla or morcadilla.

and morcilla.

didn't eat it in the UK but a tapas bar here does it hot with onion, moorish.

Is that moorish as in more or moor, Katy? :D I'll have to try some morroccan food in Casa del Califa again next week

Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?