Rock Walls

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Maddi
Tourist

Rock Walls

Postby Maddi » Mon May 29, 2006 9:16 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know how much it costs to build the rock (or boulder) walls, that I've seen around the Vinuela area? And who constructs them. Think I prefer them to the solid concrete ones.

Many thanks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 29, 2006 9:25 pm

Try 40 Euros a sq metre - I think you might prefer the concrete ones!

Sid

aidan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aidan » Tue May 30, 2006 1:55 pm

Would you say the price is similar if the wall has to be used as a retaining wall, I have just been quoted Euros 14,000 for a 30m x 6m wall. I thought that was cheap compared to other quotes. It is the large boulder/ rock type not Casares. Cheers.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue May 30, 2006 2:12 pm

A retaining wall is a completely different kettle of fish as it has to be designed to cater for the huge pressure behind it and has to have substantial foundations to distribute the load and cater for the overturning force. It also must be adequately drained.
Make sure your wall is professionally designed, esp as it's 6m high - I've seen too many retaining wall failures here already! Here's just one:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue May 30, 2006 4:42 pm

And who constructs them
Any builder can do this job..the price will also depend on the width of the wall and are normally charge by the m3. There are other walls which have mock rock facing as well...so the wall looks like its made from stone.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Maddi
Tourist

Postby Maddi » Tue May 30, 2006 9:50 pm

Your advice and comments much appreciated, guys. Thanks for giving me a starting point.

I'm sure our builder gave us a price of 200 euros per cubic metre, for a steel reinforced retaining concrete wall. I'm only going off my (very poor) memory, and nothing was written down.

If that's the case, then I'll certainly look into it.

Thanks again.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 30, 2006 10:46 pm

That sounds a bit high. 3 years ago we paid 110€ a m3 for retaining walls - no doubt it is now more but that still sounds high. If you want the rock facing then that will add a lot to the cost.

Sid

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed May 31, 2006 9:46 am

That sounds a bit high. 3 years ago we paid 110€ a m3 for retaining walls
The price per m3 can be affected by many factors, type of terrain, height of wall, amount of iron etc

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 31, 2006 6:28 pm

hilly thats a brick wall - look at the crack lines at the bottom.

a retaining wall is normally made of concrete - with a metre deep and wide base followed by a 250mm thick concrete reed bar steel reinforced wall on top.

i can get a price for you per m, if you are not too far away from alhaurin / coin. (i know the guy has worked in fuengerola and marbella before - he´d have to see it to quote it)...

you can always put a "rock" wall in front of it to "hide" it ? but erm.. rocks wont hold anything - they would have to be BIG rocks.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed May 31, 2006 6:35 pm

SpanLad, a retaining wall can be constructed of anything - bricks, blocks, concrete, even timber or earth or old tyres! The depth and width of the foundations and the width of the wall depend on the nature of the material behind and the height/weight being retained. Every individual retaining wall should be designed for its specific situation - it's not something you can "buy off the shelf". Unfortunately builders think they can and that's why so many failures occur.
The crack in the photo above was cause by outward failure/rotation of the retaining wall at the end of the terrace. It also caused the terrace to subside and fractured the drains so was very pleasant!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 31, 2006 10:24 pm

yum yum.. stinky :shock: :shock:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:51 am

A retaining wall is a completely different kettle of fish as it has to be designed to cater for the huge pressure behind it and has to have substantial foundations to distribute the load and cater for the overturning force. It also must be adequately drained.
Make sure your wall is professionally designed, esp as it's 6m high - I've seen too many retaining wall failures here already!
So right....
The depth and width of the foundations and the width of the wall depend on the nature of the material behind and the height/weight being retained. Every individual retaining wall should be designed for its specific situation - it's not something you can "buy off the shelf".
exactly...
Unfortunately builders think they can and that's why so many failures occur.
A qualified builder would not think so...but others who build might think they can...and that is why so many faliures occur.