Accessing Spanish on-line banking from UK

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
concorde
Resident

Accessing Spanish on-line banking from UK

Postby concorde » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi everyone. Have just opened a bank account for house purchase, La Caixa, but can not access the Linea Abierta The only english speaker at the bank is on holiday and the foreign help line is in spanish. They seem to want an card expiry date to access but I haven't got a Spanish credit card, only a cash card.
This is driving me mad with frustration. Can anyone advise please

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:51 pm

All I can write is "Good Luck". I've been with the Banco santander for six years and have NEVER been able to use their Superlenia on-line service no matter how many times the bank's people tell me, show me, explain it, whatever. I can't use it. It goes so far - then stops and asks for some access that I got from the bank that the Superleina doesn't recognise and denies me access. It simply doesn't work. Give up and spend the hours and hours trying in a more useful way.

Also I got mugged in Sanlucar de Barrameda last July. Cards cancelled and new ones issued OK. I'm STILL waiting for my pin number.

Moving Soon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Moving Soon » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:51 pm

Might be worth checking if there is a drop down menu to choose different types of cards - I can access my Banco Popular account online by choosing an option called 'card - consultation only' which is my current account cashcard - I don't have a debit card. I can view transactions on my account but not any other online banking functions.

neilinalcaucin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby neilinalcaucin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:29 pm

i am with banco andalucia and grupo bance popular

same online system for both - they are both excellent but they also did want the card expiry initially

good luck with it
Know you tried, effort always shows.

concorde
Resident

accessing Spanish banking on-line from UK

Postby concorde » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Thanks for replies, I'm getting even more frustrated because our deposit for the house has been taken out, and I can't check how much if anything the bank has charged for this, also if they have charged for receiving money from our moneytransfer agent, and I purposely didn't put too much in this account as we have given power of attorney.
I wish now I had gone with Banco Popular which I have since been recommended.
I'm sure everything is OK but it makes me feel so powerless.

Elaine
Tourist

Postby Elaine » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:06 pm

Hi

I have an account with La Caixa, On their web page I click on the Linea Abierta, this brings a box up asking for ID number and pass number,
I was given these when I opened my account, as I asked for internet access.
If you do not have thse numbers I do not think you have been signed in for internet access.
Regards

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks Elaine,
I think you are right. We thought we did have internet access because of the Linea Abieta cards and a pin no. but this is obviously just an ATM card.
I did ask for one at the bank but I think getting our 'free' polyester bath towel and spanish playing cards for opening an account threw us. We also opened a sterling account, not quite sure why, but I've since read on this forum that it could be useful and might generate a better exchange rate. Our 'fixer' opened the account on our behalf and has done it many times with other english buyers. She's probably got a cupboardful of useless towels.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:33 pm

I opened a euro account with Solbank when I first started to negotiate to buy an apartment. I have been able to access my accounts online from either the UK or Spain. I must be lucky.

Elaine
Tourist

L Caixa

Postby Elaine » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:05 pm

The term swings and roundabout comes to mind as we got nothing for opening our account, although there was lots of signs offering free this and that.
But we are happy with the bank, internet access is quick and easy, Watch out for the 2.40 euro per month charge plus charges for letters but this is only cents. also this year we were hit by a goverment tax just for having the cheek of having a Spanish bank account, (joint account 16 euro x2)

Did the bank person who opened your account give you an business card as it should have their e-mail address on it and you can e-mail them asking for internet access.

elaine

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:47 pm

No probs with Caja San Fernando but we did have to apply separately for internet access and received our logins by mail.
Brian.

Maddi
Tourist

Postby Maddi » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:29 pm

We have an account with the Unicaja. Excellent counter service, and staff are always friendly and patient.

Internet access - so easy, even for me. You can switch to English if you like, and they give you several options on what you would like to view. Whether it's all your transactions, or certain types (eg taxes, direct debits), and they list them in categories if you need the detail.

We've never been charged for transferring money into this account - I've heard some banks do charge this.

The only downside is, we get charged 12 euros per quarter for admin., but I'm happy to pay this for stress free banking!
Today is a gift, that's why it's the present.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:48 pm

concorde, have you tried putting in your DNI number (without the prefix letter usually X) seven digits I think.
Then your 4 digit PIN number which you use at cash machines etc.
Thats the procedure with my bank account anyway.
If not, you may have to 'darse de alta' and they will post a sealed pass number to your address in Spain - eerr, assuming you have one yet??

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:07 am

Thanks everyone for tips and suggestions, I've put every permutation of every number I have but it all comes down to some card with an expiry date on , which I don't have. I will have to wait until the English speaker comes back from holiday. We opened our account with our passport numbers, and have got an account no. I will be questioning some of the bank charges when we are next there, if I am not happy will probably change banks before standing orders for water, electricity are set up.
I'm sure La Caixa will work out when I get the on-line stuff sorted.
As its a holiday home we are buying, it is important to be able to access from UK, in English.
A big thanks to Direct Currencies, who advised me to buy currency a few weeks ago as they said the rate was going to drop, and of course it has steadily risen. Talk about s**s law.
I keep finding other charges which people conveniently forgot to mention I had to pay as a non-resident. i.e wealth tax. What is all that about! I hope there is not a beer and tapas tax, that'll just about finish me off!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:13 am

Me again,
sorry Elaine. forgot to mention, didn't get an e-mail address for my La Caixa branch just a phone and fax no. and a towel and playing cards.
Will probably get a fondue set and a cuddly toy next time!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:13 am

I have on-line banking with Banco Popular and Bancaja both of which work perfectly.

I used to have one with La Caixa which I could never get to work and I closed the account because of it.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:55 pm

We've had an account with La Caixa (formerly Banco de Jerez) for 21 years and have never had any problems. We receive a monthly statement at our UK address. Commission charges for direct debit payments and postage of statements amounts to approx. £20 a year.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:05 pm

But did you have on-line banking and did it work?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:13 pm

We joined the bank 6 years prior to www. It's www's 15th birthday today in fact.

What I was trying to say was that we have never had the need for on-line banking as we receive monthly statements.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:07 pm

Yes, I agree. I was quite happy with their traditional banking services but the online service was a nightmare and I just gave up in the end.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:41 pm

I had understood that LA CAIXA did provide a 'low cost' service compared to some others. Am a little surprised to learn that their Online Banking service is not good. I say this because I noticed on another Forum run by Mark Stucklin of Spanish Property Insight, that, in answer to a similar question concerning which bank to sign up to, he says (yesterday):

On balance I would probably go for La Caixa. They have the largest branch network in Spain, and I like their online-banking, which is also available in English (I bank with them and Bankinter, who I’m also happy with).

Just the other day I checked out La Caixa’s terms for receiving transfers from abroad. Transfers for up to 50,000 Euros with all the correct details & IBAN number are free of commission. Any mistake in the details or no IBAN = 0.25% with a minimum of 6.20 Euros and no max. Any amount over 50,000 Euros = 0.70% with a minimum of 27 Euros. So if you need to transfer more than 50k Euros, do it in several transfers, all under 50k to avoid fees. I think these conditions are quite common with other banks too.

But the most important point to make is this: when you open an account, always negotiate the conditions for transfer fees and bank-guaranteed cheque fees, regardless of the bank you choose. All bank branches have discretion over these fees, and can set them low if you negotiate this. Be blunt about it. Make it clear to bank managers that either they cap these fees at a low level, something like 30 Euros, or you will open your potentially lucrative account with one of their competitors. It’s that simple. And it works.