Billboard adverts alongside roads

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Billboard adverts alongside roads

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:57 pm

I keep seeing more and more billboards (large advertising hoardings) going up alongside or clearly visible from main autovias and other raods, despoiling the countryside. Is it not illegal here on the grounds of road safety? is it only me that thinks they are ugly?
I am from now going to email or write to the customer service departments of all companies that allow this horror, telling them that I will not use their services whilst they continue to mar the natural terrain.
Anyone got any other ideas (given that creeping up to them at night with a large axe is probably dodgy!) ?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:03 pm

read this week that they will be removing 400 of these boards (mainly Western CDS but also in the guadalhorce valley) by order of the junta de andalucia. I agree they are very ugly and they also seem to get higher and higher :x

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:42 pm

I hope they don't take down the Osborne bulls, they're a part of modern Spanish history 8)

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:26 pm

They better not take down the Osborne bulls........the one in Torreblanca is a landmark for our home :-)

Gus

Cornflake
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cornflake » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:49 pm

They make the whole place look like a third world shanty town . . .

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:10 pm

The Osbourne Bull is the official Spanish Trademark. I was reading in the Town Crier today that these bulls weigh up to 5 tons and can be made up of up to 58 different pieces of metal. Thats no Bull!!!!
According to the paper the bull is to be found in Equitorial Guinea and the North Pole. It celebrates its 50th Anniversary this year. God I think I need a brandy!!!!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:26 pm

Aren't the Osborne bull ads protected as a national heritage, or something like that? There a some stunning examples in cadiz province where they stand alone from any developments/construction.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:34 pm

Osbourne Bull
How did they get their name?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:41 pm

Alan-LaCala wrote:How did they get their name?
It's the Osborne trademark.

Buy a bottle of their wine or Brandy and you will see the black bull on the label.

They tried to remove the huge signs but they were declared as a sort of national monument!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:50 pm

Thanks Sid, national Monument is the word I was looking for. A tour around the Osborne Bodega in Puerto de Santa Maria is interesting and at the end they bring you three bottles (drink as much as you want) so good I can't remember which brands they were but sure that one was Harveys.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:06 pm

It's the Osborne trademark.

So it's nothing to do with Ozzie or Sharon then? :lol:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:42 pm

Osborne are also one of the premier sherry producers in the world, their fino is particularly compatible with Jamon serrano and olives :)

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:15 pm

Thomas Osborne arrived in Cádiz from Devon in 1781. Thomas worked in the sherry business and collaborated with James Duff who was the British consul in Cádiz. Duff lived from 1734 until his death in El Puerto de Santa Maria in 1815. He is actually buried at Gibraltar. Not sure about Thomas.
The Osborne sherry bodegas in El Puerto are the oldest in the town - I believe. They were built on land just seaward of the old town. I think they date from about 1780s. Clearly James Duff and Thomas Osborne were pioneers in developing the sherry trade (as well as brandy!) .

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:03 pm

Alan @ La Cala. You buy the bottle of brandy so that you can confirm the logo, call me and I will help empty it for you. Past experience tells me their brandy is top class.