A response to the debate

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

A response to the debate

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:48 pm

I sent the article put up on this board about Muslims and the UK to David Cameron, with a credit as to where I read it, and suggesting that if he cared to rephrase it for UK and deliver it as an election speech, he might just get elected on a landslide!
His PR has just replied, and, admin permitting (they have locked the previous subject) I append it here:
Dear Peter,
Thank you for writing to David Cameron – I am replying on his behalf.
Many thanks for taking the time to write and for bringing the message from your bulletin board to our attention. We appreciate your feedback and have carefully noted your comments and the content of the message.
We are lucky, here in Britain, to be able to practise our different faiths in relative peace, harmony and tolerance. But we must also acknowledge that there are a few deeply misguided people who don't believe in mutual respect. We saw that here in Britain on the 7th of July last year. The world is now a dangerous place and there are no limits to the harm that some people are prepared to inflict on others. The recent UK threat has now been downgraded to severe but the Home Secretary warns that attacks are still highly likely. David Cameron has warned that the Government is failing to be robust enough in the fight against Islamic terrorism and extremism, and has called for more investment in policing and security measures, backed by more rigorous enforcement of the law to ensure that terrorist suspects and their supporters are prosecuted, convicted and imprisoned or deported.
David Cameron also criticised Labour ministers for a series of failings on national security, and described the attempt by alleged British-born Islamist terrorist to blow up passenger jets flying from UK airports as "deeply shocking" but "not surprising", and said: "I do not believe that the Government is doing enough to fight Islamist extremism at home, or to protect our security." While the Opposition wanted to work with the Government to protect our security the Government have done things they should not have done - like freeze the Home Office Budget for three years. There are things they have not done which they must do - like making intercept evidence available in court. And there are things they said they would do which they have not done - like following through on the Prime Minister's twelve point security plan and recommendations on community cohesion.
At present, counter-terrorism is just one of many competing priorities for the Home Secretary: he is unable to provide the strong and dedicated leadership required to respond to the challenge posed by international terrorism. We have proposed that there should be a single, cabinet-level minister to co-ordinate, and be accountable for, national security.
Conservatives have also long called for a single UK border police force to secure our borders and to deter and detect illegal immigrants. Our proposals have been supported by the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, the former President of ACPO and others. The Home Secretary’s announcement, in July, of uniforms for passport control officers does not go nearly far enough - it is simply window-dressing.
We also believe that a firm, fair, controlled immigration system is essential for good race and community relations, and for the orderly provision of public services. Conservatives have long called for an objective, points-based system to determine who we allow to enter the country and under what conditions. We are concerned that the numbers of immigrants and migrants in the country are under-estimated. As a result, many councils face burdens which are not properly funded by central government, with council tax payers having to foot the bill.
As you may know, David Cameron recently announced the launch of a Policy Group on National and International Security, which will examine all aspects of the UK's national security, from both a domestic and an international perspective.
The National Security Group is looking at terrorism, the rise of Islamic fundamentalism, threats from failed and failing states, the proliferation of unconventional weapons, the nature of our open society, and the need to build community cohesion in an increasingly diverse culture. The Group is also investigating the structure of policing in the UK, including reform designed to bring local policing closer to local populations and to provide a fully effective force or forces to deal with regional, national, and international policing challenges, including international terrorism. The effectiveness of border control, the security services, and administrative structures in Whitehall to deal with the threat of terrorist attack, will also be analysed.
As part of its work on security, the group will also consider issues relating to social cohesion - including questions of community relations, immigration policy and their linkages with the UK's foreign policy.
At the same time, the group will examine the UK's geo-political positioning vis a vis the EU, NATO, relations with the USA and with Commonwealth Countries, as well as with less-developed countries and the emerging giants; and will also examine UK defence policy in the light of the current and emerging security challenges which the country faces.
Once again, thank you for your email.
Yours sincerely,
Anna Biles
Correspondence Secretary
David Cameron's Office
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA

www.conservatives.com
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:56 pm

I've been away. Read the original debate. Interesting stuff. Wanted to post but the topic is 'locked'. Is that because everyone has had enough of it?

Found out quite recently that the age of sexual consent by a female under Sharia Law is ... nine! Might seem reasonable in Britain but I think in Spain it might be unacceptable. Children do seem to be allowed to be children for a bit longer in Spain - one good reason why some of us are t/here.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Gisela,

Topic is locked because it has little to do with Andalucia or Spain which is the purpose of this forum.

Yes let's pull up the drawbridge of the island UK, pull out of EU, send the Muslims home (even though most of the terrorists were UK born and could not automatically be repatriated to Pakistan or anywhere else) - Maybe let's even ban "traitors" who live as ex-pats from returning and once we leave the EU all you lifestyle immigrants in Spain, France etc. will no longer have a legal basis for living there.

Of course I'm only joking but be careful what you wish for. :wink:

Admin should delete this thread as well as the locked one IMHO.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:25 pm

Errrrr? Not sure I wrote anything about anything except about children being children or am I being childish?

jan400
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jan400 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:59 pm

Gisela Radant wrote:

Found out quite recently that the age of sexual consent by a female under Sharia Law is ... nine! Might seem reasonable in Britain but I think in Spain it might be unacceptable. Children do seem to be allowed to be children for a bit longer in Spain - one good reason why some of us are t/here.
I'm quite offended by this statement. Why on earth would you think let alone suggest that we in Britain would find this idea "reasonable"?

Admin - I too think that this thread should be deleted!

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:16 pm

I wonder who decided what the age of sexual consent is under sharian law, I bet it wasn't a woman!
In the western world we would consider this to be paedofilia!
Enter the human rights activists!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Relevant to Andalucia?

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:36 pm

I happen to think that this sort of debate and subject is relevant here, as we are discussing the different way of life here compared to the UK, as well as it being the best forum for expats to discuss things that may well happen or affect Andalucia. Have there not been bombs here? Who planted them? Why did they do it, and why in Spain?
It is at least one place where free speech can be exercised[/b]

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:18 pm

Peter, I happen to agree with you, this subject is relevant worldwide, some people however (and I'm not referring to any particular individual) choose to ingnore the problem. The moderator however will be along soon to show you the error of your ways :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

LOL

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:44 pm

LOL :twisted:

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:33 am

I happen to think that this sort of debate and subject is relevant here
You started this thread by copying the letter you sent to the Tory leader, and saying that if he adopted it as policy he may well get elected.

That's not a debate; there is not the slightest possibility that you are going to change your mind.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:10 pm

peteroldracer said
I happen to think that this sort of debate and subject is relevant here, as we are discussing the different way of life here compared to the UK, as well as it being the best forum for expats to discuss things that may well happen or affect Andalucia. Have there not been bombs here? Who planted them? Why did they do it, and why in Spain?
I don't understand how a letter to the leader of the Conservative Party in the UK has any relevance to life in Andalucia! How can it be interpreted as "discussing the different way of life here.."?

It is news to me that there were bombs in Andalucia, when was this and, indeed, who planted them? :?

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:15 pm

how about the one on the cds a few years ago?????????

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:24 pm

read your posting, but
failed to find one word about what david cameron proposes to do in spain or andalucia...
maybe that's why admin locked the postings -
and calling it a 'debate' is stretching it...

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:33 pm

Solysombra wrote:I wonder who decided what the age of sexual consent is under sharian law, I bet it wasn't a woman!
In the western world we would consider this to be paedofilia!
Enter the human rights activists!
did you know that the age of consent in SPAIN is only 14? .. just out of interest.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:43 pm

masterob wrote:peteroldracer said
I don't understand how a letter to the leader of the Conservative Party in the UK has any relevance to life in Andalucia! How can it be interpreted as "discussing the different way of life here.."?

It is news to me that there were bombs in Andalucia, when was this and, indeed, who planted them? :?
ETA have been planting bombs along the coast and in the rest of Spain since the 70`s. In the 80`s the Costa del So was targeted often.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:03 pm

there was an eta car bomb in fuengerola the year before last. my van got covered in brick dust / glass from the building over the road blowing out all its windows!!!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:52 pm

Well, I am even more confused now! Can't see the relevance of ETA Bombs to correspondence with the Leader of the UK Conservative Party!! :?

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:53 pm

i do believe you asked the question about the bombs masterob

pete_l
Resident

about the letter

Postby pete_l » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:00 pm

so, long story short: it was intercepted by a lackey - DC probably never got to read it. If you're lucky he may have been notified that someone
wrote in regarding what the Austrailian PM had said, and had one of his people draught a "standard" reply.

Nice try
Pete

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Peteroldracer. What I don't understand is, if you are living in the Axarquia, why are you doing your best to inflict David Cameron on the long suffering UK. Is it some kind of grudge thing?
Grouser