Planting a screen

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
lenjames
Andalucia.com Amigo

Planting a screen

Postby lenjames » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:30 pm

I have to plant a 6 mitre high screen about twenty mitres long to hide an old ruin from my house. Problem is that 100mm below the ground is rock so i've got to dig and pick it out first and backfill with the appropriate trees and earth. Has anyone had experience of doing this? How deep and wide should the earth trench be, What's the best trees to plant to form a tight interwoven screen, where's the best place to get them and, roughly how much should they cost ? A lot of work but i'm not going to be able to sell the place till i've done it.
Many Thanks

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:15 pm

That sounds pretty drastic..is the ruin that bad :?:
appropriate trees
If you are not prepared to pay a fortune..you will have to wait for trees to grow...
There is some artificial green bush looking stuff that comes by the yard... but 6metros hight :roll: would be easier to cover the ruin with ivy or bugambilia...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:27 pm

Lenjames, I think Silver is right, cover the ruin with fast growing climbers. Your six metre alternative is well nigh impossible. If you think that a normal fast growing tree, in unfettered conditions, will have a root pattern that roughly mirrors the canopy you will understand your problem.
Grouser

lenjames
Andalucia.com Amigo

Planted Screen

Postby lenjames » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:38 pm

Thank's Silver and Grouser but, the ruin is not mine and it's on adjascent land slightly higher than mine, hence the height necessity.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:45 pm

That must be one of those that some est. agents classify as "in need of refurbishment". Someone may buy it without the screen being there, is it really that bad? What did you think when you first looked around the house, something made you buy it. The other thing you need to think about is the wind - can be really powerful at times and pretty destructive.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:14 pm

the ruin is not mine
if its a ruin then no one lives there..chuck a few seeds over and water :lol:
But really as babby says..it cant be that bad...it must have been there when you moved in...perhaps youve got a "thing" about it.

lenjames
Andalucia.com Amigo

planted screen

Postby lenjames » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:56 pm

No, it dosen't bother me in the least. To me it's part of the character of the campo. But i had two prospective buyers up today and they're only critisism was, the close ruin next door and the closeness of the road outside. It's only a small road running between Casabermeja and Vinuella de la conception. One of the reasons i chose to build here was for the easy 50 mitre access road, which i've now concreted. I thought it would be a selling point. Suppose you can't please everybody. I suppose some people like a 5 Klm dirt track.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:45 am

it dosen't bother me in the least. To me it's part of the character of the campo
sounds like most would think this way..I certainly do
two prospective buyers up today
viewers..not buyers...I know that lots of people have a kind of hobby..looking at campo places..it gets them around and gives them an idea of prices...
forget Planting a screen mate :) review your selling line... walk quickly past the ruin while showing something in the oposite direction... expalin that the "road" outside is just a tarmac lane with very little traffic...
Soon it will rain and al around you will be green :)

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:41 am

Two prospective buyers - well it could be that they are trying to look for excuses to bring the price down.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

pete_l
Resident

Re: planted screen

Postby pete_l » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:19 am

lenjames wrote:their only criticism was, the close ruin next door and the closeness of the road outside
Sounds like you got the wrong type of buyers. Anyone who's seriously
looked for houses on the campo would recognise a ruin for what it was:
a house that's been deserted for many (50+ ?) years, and will likely
stay that way.
I think you were probably lucky that this ruin "screened" the time-wasters
for you. Without it they may have made you an offer and strung you
along only to find that when the crunch came, they really wanted
a little apartment in town and therefore pulled out at the last minute.

So far as a 20 metre screen goes, wouldn't that appear a little
incongruous? Unless there were other rows of trees in the area, one
that size would stick out. If I was looking, I'd certainly take a peek
behind it to see what it was concealing.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:06 am

I agree that a ruin would possibly be a feature to the sort of people who want to live in the campo, and as such has probably saved you from timewasters.

We have a similar problem with trying to plant in rock dust. We have a track close to the front of the house and would like to plant some sort of screen. I had an idea of importing a bank of soil/earth, not topsoil, and planting into that with shrubs that grow more easily up here. At the moment it's still in the ideas stage.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:13 am

I had an idea of importing a bank of soil/earth,
If its on a slope without a retaining wall the rain would probably wash it all away.
I dont think the ruin would really put someone off...cos lets face it there are loads all around... it just was not what they were looking for...or maybe they were just looking... not all viewers are buyers.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:26 am

[quote="silver"].. would be easier to cover the ruin with ivy or bugambilia............ Lurve the idea of the latter Silver. Does it attract all the nasties from other plants :D

Lenjames if you are determined to set a screen, you could consider pencil pines, Pinos Erectas? They are in keeping with the the Mediterranean countryside, grow quickly with irrigation BUT you would still have to wait a few years to achieve six metres.
Sandramay

lenjames
Andalucia.com Amigo

Planted Screen

Postby lenjames » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Well, thank's to all of you for good constructive comment, advice and opinion. I've listened and learnt and, i think your right. I'm dropping the idea of a screen and let the house sell itself on it's merits with the ruin on view along with the beautiful views of the El Torcal mountains in front of me.
Thank's again to you all, for me this posting has been a good example of how this forum can work very well.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:31 pm

Sandramay
Does it attract all the nasties from other plants Very Happy
I dare say that it would creat a nice shady retreat for many :lol:
I'm dropping the idea of a screen and let the house sell itself on it's merits with the ruin on view along with the beautiful views of the El Torcal mountains in front of me.
I know that view..its lovely... especialy the multicoloured "carpet" that forms in front of the Torcal.

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:02 pm

Sounds like you would be better off selling in the Spring when everything is green and colourful and lush.

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:49 pm

Lenjames, if you can get hold of some wattle saplings or seeds this is perfect for your requirements, grows very thick and very fast (wattle is used to make the hurdles for horse racecourses), don't know where you'd get it though but i'm sure you'll get some in Spain as it's used in tanning leather (all those unfortunate bulls) good luck with it, ps Wattle is a form of acacia 8)