robbing banks!!!!!!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby petert74 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:13 pm

masterob wrote:petert74 said
We now have an account that we don't use and pay charges every month for nothing.
Apologies if I am missing something but why don't you close it? There are plenty of Banks here to chose from and don't treat you in the way you describe. :?
To answer this question, due to work commitments I am unable to go to my local branch during spanish business hours.

The account has been used twice to pay my Bike insurance as it was the only way of payment.

Can anyone reconmend a good honest bank with minimal fees as a helpful attitude.

I particularly need to know about transfering money in from the UK to a spanish account as I heard horror stories about 1-2% commission.

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi
we bank with both the sol bank and caja rural, neither change us commission for our money going into the accounts and both banks accepted large transfers from the UK with out any charges. We used a money exchange company Currency Direct and had a Spanish Bank account open with the Sol bank in London in a branch near where we live, we got a very good rate of exchange and no charges I hope that helps
Good luck and life here is fantastic we have been here 6 months and love every day

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:38 pm

We have been with Solbank for nearly 5 years and they have been excellent, friendly and helpful though I can only comment on the branch we use. We were charged some sort of admin fee for a credit card we had never used, we queried it and it was payed straight back into our account.

Mhic.

ellad25
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ellad25 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:43 am

We also bank with Sol Bank (Alhaurin de la Torre branch) and find them excellent, unlike Banco Santander who were always trying to rip us off with charges, and Banca March, who added a charge for every direct debit they paid for us. Have received an email from Sol Bank today saying they have a new sterling deposit account paying 8% - not sure if this is just for a short period - not looked into it yet, sounds a bit to good to be true.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:14 pm

petert74 wrote:
masterob wrote:petert74 said
We now have an account that we don't use and pay charges every month for nothing.
Apologies if I am missing something but why don't you close it? There are plenty of Banks here to chose from and don't treat you in the way you describe. :?

I particularly need to know about transfering money in from the UK to a spanish account as I heard horror stories about 1-2% commission.
As has already been stated, if you use one of the larger currency dealers such as HIFX you won't be charged for the transaction by the bank as they guarantee against this.

As an aside, I got ripped off to the tune of €12.50 at the Cajamar bank when getting cash from a Cajasur account - lack of choice unfortunately.