tiny, black and nasty!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

tiny, black and nasty!

Postby gavilan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 am

Sometimes I get bitten in the garden by a tiny creature which is black, about the size of a pinhead and leaves a pin size bite in my flesh which then swells (sometimes cant even get my sandal on if bite is near ankle!) and is really painful for several days. Yesterday I was bitten twice!

I remember that Aspivenin has been mentioned on this forum ... couldnt get it when in London recently and local farmacias here dont stock it either ... is there anything else I can buy as an antidote or is there a homemade recipe like mixing crushed banana with anchovies and garlic which I can produce myself to stop the swelling etc?

jenna m
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jenna m » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:01 am

I have been using Anthisan cream this summer for tiny bites which swell quite badly and then re-activate again weeks later - rather like a mosquito bite.Trouble is that I am not in Spain at the moment!
Have you tried toothpaste - this can sometimes help initially.
Regards, Jenna m

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:37 am

If you really suffer from this type of sting you should consider trying an antihistamine tablet called Polaramine. I suffer an adverse reaction from wasp stings and if I take one of these I have no problem.

They are available over the counter from a pharmacy in 2mg and 6mg doses but check with the pharmacist first and, if in doubt, double check with your doctor before taking them.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:47 am

don't forget to take a water sample with you...

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:56 am

Any ideas what these tiny black 'things' are? I've been bitten a few times over the past week and still got small lumps to prove it. The trouble is you can't see them easily until you feel the sting and by then it's too late. Thankfully my Aspivenin relieves the itchiness but I'm still left with lumps.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

tiny, black and nasty!

Postby gavilan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:25 pm

thanks for all your tips and hints ...
?is there a particular brand of toothpaste to use? or taste like mint?!
I too would like the name of this insect!? know my enemy!
oh no, not another water sample! ... see 'contaminated water' - general forum!

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:06 pm

been there... read that...

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:33 pm

Try a hot water histamine flush. Apply water locally as hot as you can take, steaming but not hot enough to burn. The body produces histamines in response to the bite which then cause the area to itch. Hence you take anti histamines for allergies. So if you can flush the area with hot water, you can draw out the histamines and the body takes quite some time to produce more. It does relieve the itching, and easier than toothpaste. Those flies are often called "no see ums" which might be in google.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:25 pm

I thought the no see'ums were only in Florida?

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

tiny black and nasty!

Postby gavilan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:23 pm

to lis48 ... your approach seems a good one ... is it too late to apply hot water to affected areas as its nearly 24 hours since I was bitten? and also how long do you leave hot water on the bite/s? my knee is now nearly twice its normal size!

jenna m
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jenna m » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:11 pm

It may be time for a visit to the doctor! - last time my leg swelled like that I had to have a antihistamine injection, which worked very quickly to reduce the swelling.
Jenna m

p.s. any flavour of toothpaste will do...

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

tiny black and nasty!

Postby gavilan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:41 pm

I always manage to survive without a doctor ... well so far anyway! ... googled ... no-see-ums are said to be midges and these little critturs dont fly ... rather they lie in wait in the foliage and then strike fast!

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:28 pm

I do not know what the little black things are and I don't care as everything seems to bite me. However, I have a large aloe vera plant and the sap applied neat reduces the irritation and also helps sunburn.
If possible I try to find the natural remedies as you can not always get the synthetic brand names.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi Gavilan, I react badly to insect bites and have to use prescription antihistamines. However, for almost instant relief from the pain/itch I use After Bite. It's like a felt tip pen and you can get them from Farmacias in Spain as well as the UK. Stinks of ammonia but who cares if you can get some relief and sleep at nights. Have to admit it didn't work on a scorpion sting earlier this Summer........... and no, I wasn't gardening, it was in my bed...... uninvited! :shock:
Sandramay

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:20 am

Hi Gavilan, I too get a bad reaction from all insect bites. I use a homoeopathic remedy called Apis which helps to reduce the itching and swelling and if taken regularly should prevent you getting such a bad reaction. If they are quite painful you could also try taking Arnica (tablets NOT cream) or rub some calendula cream on it. You can order all of these from the farmacia although many of them are now stocking homoeopathic remedies. Try to get a high-ish potency like 25 or 30 ch. Also, when I was little and had golf ball sized mozzie bites my Mum used to cut a lemon in half and make me hold it over the bite - stung like hell but made the swelling and itching calm down!!

As a deterrant you could try squirting yourself with some water with tea tree and lavender oil added to it.

Sorry to ramble on, hope some of this helps.

Cornflake
Andalucia.com Amigo

what they are . .

Postby Cornflake » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:38 am

What are called no-see-ums in the US are called sand flies in Europe. They are not specific to sand or sandy areas. They can spread a nasty virus called Leishmaniasis to pet dogs and cats. http://www.caninebehaviour.co.uk/public/europe.htm
And they can get through mosquito netting if the mesh is loose enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandfly
They seem to me to have been particularly noticeable this year. Their bloomin' bites takes ages to heal up and are very itchy until they do.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:30 pm

I hope they are not garapatas
a tiny creature which is black, about the size of a pinhead
they lie in wait in the foliage and then strike fast
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

tiny black and nasty!

Postby gavilan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:33 pm

think you might be right, silver, some sort of tick, have 'googled' to learn there are some 850 different species of ticks ... also fall into 2 categories - hard ticks which hang on in there and soft ones which take what they want and go ... I dont wish to know any more! ... except I am hanging onto advice from here and thanks to you all for your help ... your comments and ideas have been much appreciated

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:59 pm

Aspivenin is only stocked in the UK through B**ts the Chemists. The largish branch at Piccadilly Circus has them. That's where I got mine.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:26 am

You can buy Aspivenin on line here:
http://www.ambulance-store.com/catalog/ ... cts_id=529
The cost is €16.95 and the website is in English, German and Dutch.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!