Ayuntamiento Registration

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:00 am

Yes, you can vote in Spanish municipal elections even if you are registered to vote in the UK but, as you say, not EU parliamentary elections.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:40 am

When we registered in Comares, we were made most welcome, as they obviously realised that the more people on the padron, the more money for the council from the Junta de Andalucia or whoever!
Personally, I would quadruple the IBI for any properties where the owners are not registered!
But there again I am one of those Grumpy Old Men who would impound Brit-registered cars - especially the Land Cruiser that yesterday coming down from La Vinuela overtook a van, crossing the double white lines right on the junction at El Trapiche (60kph limit), at around 100kmh.....staying at 60 then 80 kph we were back behind him before the next rounabout, so what an unecessary danger........and when he has the inevitable smash, the Guardia Civil will be unable to trace him because it is an illegal vehicle.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:26 am

How do you know he wasn't legal? The driver could be on holiday. They would know who it is if they get hurt.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:30 am

katy wrote:How do you know he wasn't legal? The driver could be on holiday.
Or driving within the 6months grace period for registering the car here?

Later.... in the light of Beachcomber's subsequent post I see that I should have written: 'Or driving within the 6 months period allowed to complete the formalities for the registration of the car.' :oops:
Last edited by rafiki on Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Ayuntamiento registration

Postby gavilan » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:52 am

Peteroldracer wrote 'Personally, I would quadruple the IBI for any properties where the owners are not registered! ' ... I have no intention of registering at my town hall ... ?why would I? so they can have more money to build more houses etc ... oh and by the way, the Guardia Civil came around here 2 years ago noting all the properties which had been built illegally, those denuncios piled up on the mayor's desk ... and nothing more ever happened ... and the building goes on!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:08 pm

Katy and rafiki - you shame me a bit, because you see the possible good, whereas I assume the worst! Whilst you are both correct, I wonder how many people do drive over to here in a gas-guzzling 4x4 (and I speak as an owner of one, but would never use it for long trips!), and if anyone has left it for more than 30 days before applying to register it as Spanish I hope they are prepared for the hefty import tax bill, depending on its age!
I did not mention that like the vast majority of Brit-reg cars that I see, the number plates become very familiar, with "first sightings" going back well over the six months. Some of them , including the L2SNS car with a 2-year out-of-date tax disc parked up next to the cemetery in Comares, even have posy plates, to help them stand out in the memory!
I would just suggest that those still living in the UK planning their move, and those here who support the "why should I pay" principle, look at how they would feel if their area was swamped with cars bearing asian number plates, with not a tax disc or MoT certificate between them?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Yes you are right, I see loads too, even those small pick-ups with building materials on so they are obviously working here.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:20 pm

thanks katy - and of course it is, I understand, absolutely and definitely impossible to ever legalise a British Transit-type van here, so it is fairly safe to assume that they are untested, uninsured and unwelcome................

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:22 pm

Peter, in the first instance as much as I find a fair number of soft roader owners irritating in their choice of vehicle having bought it for the image - if you have a genuine reason for needing one then I don't feel you should apologise for it.

This whole gas guzzling nonsense ignores the fact that they are no more inefficient than many other 'normal' vehicles on the road, both in terms of footprint and fuel efficiency.

The whole un-reigstered vehicle issue seriously narks me and although it is possible that some of these cars aren't in Spain on a permanent basis, way too many of them are illegal. As I said on another thread recently, there is an exodus of Polish registered vehicle turning up in the UK many of which you just know are illegal, so as you say why the hell should we expect others to put up with what we can't abide in our own country.

In support of your comments regarding the local taxation, then I for one believe that in general you should abide by the rules. That's not to say that tax avoidance should not take place but that there is a basic amount that you should contribute. It annoys the hell out of me seeing these immigrants arriving in the UK merely to exploit the system - fair enough if they're here to take an active part in the economy but if not, then kick them out. Same attitudes apply to Spain.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:27 pm

I feel less alone, sat quietly grumbling in the corner with my (very small) brandy and coffee! :wink:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:45 pm

The funds from registering on the padrón go towards providing local services. I have found that many foreigners who complain about the state of the local roads, lack of police, lack of fire service, waiting time in the INSS clinic, etc. are the very people who have never bothered to register on the pardón.

The SEPRONA branch of the Guardia Civil which deals with illegally built properties reports directly to the Junta de Andalucía NOT the local Town Hall. There then has to be a lengthy legal process before any action can be taken.

Regarding UK registered vehicles, it is clear from the state of many of them that they would never be capable of getting here from the UK let alone being driven back. There is NO six month period of grace for the importation of a vehicle. The law says that the vehicle must be imported within a period of six months of obtaining residency. This is a period allowed to take account of the sloth of the registration authority so it means that the procedure must be completed within six months not just started and it can often take that long.

The untraceability of foreign registered vehicles being used illegally in Spain is EXACTLY the reason for the crackdown by police and guardia in Málaga in recent months on UK registered vehicles. Some time ago there was a serious hit and run accident on the A7 in which several people were injured and a Spanish child killed. The offending vehicle was a UK registered 4x4 the registration number of which was taken but when enquiries were made of the registered keeper by the UK police it was discovered that it had changed hands on a number of occasions since he owned it and the current owner could not be traced.

The last registered owner was apparently prosecuted for failing to notify change of ownership but this was scant retribution for the death of a child.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Ayuntamiento Registration

Postby gavilan » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:17 pm

Beachcomber ... I havent complained about the state of the roads, I love the wild and rough tracks ... and around here the potholes and cracks in the other lanes are caused by construction vehicles, JCBs and concrete-carrying lorries en route to build more new (illegal) houses etc!

and re Guardia Civil and illegal properties 'a lengthy legal process before any action can be taken' ... how long is lengthy? 4 years ago there were articles in local papers about this illegal, unsustainable building ...

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Articles in newspapers are not legal proceedings.

The Junta de Andalucía is in the process of prosecuting Town Halls for granting illegal building licences, not just in Marbella but all over the region, but given the scale of the problem and the state of the Spanish justice system a delay in seeing any actual results is, perhaps, understandable.

It is highly unlikely that any properties will be demolished as a result of this legal action anyway. I know how galling this can be especially when you go the the expense of getting a project, submitting it to both the Town Hall and the Junta then building exactly as per your project when everyone else just builds what and how they want without any regard to the regulations.

However, I have the satisfaction of knowing that mine is the only totally legal property in our lane and if, at some time in the future, a prospective purchaser manages to contract the services of one of the very few Spanish lawyers who actually knows anything about the legalities of country properties he will not be able to come up with anything that is untoward.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:12 pm

It certainly must help you sleep at night and give you a nice warm feeling Beachcomber. Not many can say that eh?
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!