Licence for motorcycles

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
keddyboy
Resident

Licence for motorcycles

Postby keddyboy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:42 pm

If someone has a full UK driving licence what is the position re motorcycles in Spain??
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:59 pm

If you have held your full UK licence for more than 3 Years you can drive up to a 125cc Scooter or Motocycle.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

Kahuna
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kahuna » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:39 pm

Keddy

If you have a full UK Bike license you can ride anything in Spain just as you can in UK.

If your license is limited to cc or BHP in UK you will be limited in Spain too.

Enjoy your riding...
Kahuna
=======

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

motorbike

Postby pilgrim » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Our insurance man would not insure my husband for his Spanish motorbike until he had a Spanish licence, the shop he bought his bike from would not let him take the bike until he showed them the ins docs even though he paid in cash!! We had more problems buying our car and bikes than we did the buying the house :D Maybe its because they do not have many English here?

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:09 am

have you sorted it now?

we bought a 125 bike, on my english car license no problem, as I can use that to ride the bike, got it insured the lot no problem. sounds strange you can´t take the bike til it´s insured, it´s not exactly the shops problem if you use it uninsured or not.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:38 am

It's the same with buying any road vehicle (as opposed to off road vehicle) from a dealer - you have to have it insured and provide a copy of your cover note before they'll let you take it away.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:44 am

One to remember, riding a motorcycle in spain if you are stopped by the police and have no insurance they will confiscate the motocycle.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

TerryP
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby TerryP » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:28 am

I bought a new 250 from Suzuki dealer in Malaga 1 month ago, they didn´t want to see anything, just the cash.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:02 pm

they even delivered my bike to me, no insurance or anything

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:35 pm

hillybilly wrote:It's the same with buying any road vehicle (as opposed to off road vehicle) from a dealer - you have to have it insured and provide a copy of your cover note before they'll let you take it away.
Not strictly true, that was the case with our car but not with the 2 motorcycles which, incidentally, were bought from 2 seperate dealerships.
I guess it all depends on the dealer.

johnm
Tourist

Postby johnm » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Blondie referred to using a 125cc motorcycle with a car licence and I am getting confusing information on this. In June 2004 the new law came into effect which allowed holders of Class B licences (car) to ride motorcycles up to 125cc (and 11 bhp) on this licence in Spain (normally Group A1).
I have now been told that this is only valid if your licence shows that you are covered for Group A1 and I can only assume that licences issued after this date reflect this.
My Spanish licence was issued before this date and makes no reference to being able to drive Group A1 vehicles.
Does anyone have a later Spanish licence and, if so, does this reflect this?
romero

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:18 am

Hi Johnm

my licenswe is the same as yours, doesnt actually have the group a1, howeever I informed my insurance company of this and they said it wasnt a problem, and they asked for compies of my license so they have no comeback if they still decided to insure me after that. In fact my bike has been in a flood and they are still helping me out with the claim. Differentr to a road accident I suppose, if you want I can get you their details as they are happy with it.