Christmas whats it like?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Christmas whats it like?

Postby pirate » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:04 am

Hi all, I`ve never been over to Spain at christmas whats it like?
Do they celebrate the same as in the Uk are he shops all decorated up?
Sorry for seeming thick but I have just never been

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:51 am

From what Ive been told. Inland, They only celebrate Christmas day and then it's all over. The main festival is the Festival of the kings. I think it's in early January.

I'm sure someone will put me right.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

festival
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Christmas whats it like?

Postby festival » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:21 am

Spain at christmas whats it like?

I hate it! and always go to an Islamic country at this time.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:45 am

Last year was our first Christmas in Spain. Of course this part of the Costa del Sol may not be typical of elsewhere.

Not as long a lead in to Christmas Day as in the UK, but yes the shops were full of Christmas goodies. They all disappeared 2 days before Chrismas though , and after Christmas were replaced with 3 Kings stuff.

In some places they may not celebrate Christmas as much as 3 Kings, but here they celebrate both, and it was great.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

caroig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caroig » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:33 am

I only know Christmas in the South of Spain. Christmas eve, noche buena, is the main celebration with a big family dinner. You'll see all the seafood prices soaring on the lead-up - although there's no national christmas dish, most people have 'marisco' followed by a main, suckling pig or similar. Sweets are more traditional with Turron and Polvorones. Then once dinner is over, it's out to celebrate in the bars until morning.
Christmas Day is mainly recovery, with a cocido (the standard Spanish stew) as a late lunch/breakfast.
Traditionally no christmas trees, but a Nativity scene (Belen) in every house and no gifts, they come on Epiphany (Reyes) - although nowadays children tend to get pressies on Christmas AND Reyes. Oh and no Christmas cards (or 'Christmas' as they are know in Spain).
In the village I live in the Belen and lights normally go up the week before, no earlier. In the cities now it seems to be following the UK & US and getting more commercial each year.

Personally, I'm with festival - time to head south.

sueb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sueb » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:59 pm

In Ronda they celebrate 3 kings (12th night), it really is something, lots of celbration in streets with a parade of the kings who throw sweets into the crowd, hundreds of them, you have to wear a hard hat or risk being knocked out by flying nut brittle!! also throw toys to the kids, its great fun. christmas is a bit quiet, you can still get christmas trees though. have fun
sue

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:16 pm

From mid December you can buy the most fantastic Ponsieta plants, full of flower, not like the scrawny 'Kate Moss' type we get back home.
We alway try to bring a few back home to family and friends before Christmas and they go down a treat!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:09 pm

I used to enjoy it here some years ago because "Xmas" only appeared suddenly about a week before, now its getting just the same here, must be the Brit influence! I get bored with the build-up.

2 months 2 weeks 2 days to Christmas :)

Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mydogdylan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Well last Xmas we had xmas diiner and then later (about 6)on we went to the Venta Vargas in La Hoya.
Where we had a great time all the locals had brought Guitars,tambourines and Violins and they all started jamming round the pool table :D and after a while all the local ladies started Flamenco dancing :D

And with all the San Miguel and Tapas down our necks we had a great time :D ......

Don't know what its like elsewhere but i'm looking forward to this Xmas :D

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:52 pm

So they don't go a bundle a St Patrick's Day either Colinm ?

Anyroads

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:54 am

anyroads wrote:So they don't go a bundle a St Patrick's Day either Colinm ?
If you want St Patrick's Day, head for the coast - west of Malaga, east of San Pedro - look for a bar on or near the front with big Guinness signs, a large-screen tv showing permanent sport, sometimes a transvestite comedian (sic) and loud music, with nightly drunken fights outside in the tourist season. There will be no Spanish spoken, and you can forget you are in Spain - they already have.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.