The best place to live and why

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

The best place to live and why

Postby waterlily » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:40 pm

Having mused several times over the past year on which areas are perhaps better than others, can I ask your opinions on your favoured area to live and settle down. Only knowing a small area of the Costa Del Sol I was wondering if there are any real ' Peaches' out there that would suit a family with young kids?

Just thought I would ask!

Waterlily x

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:56 pm

Choice is similar as in the UK really, i.e. in the city/town or in the country. Difference being in Spain unlike the UK it is a cheaper and more viable proposition to afford a nice place in the sticks.

As for a specific location if we were looking for a holiday home in the country again at this moment I think we'd have a very close look at the area surrounding the town of Arenas.

There seems to be a huge amount of infrastructue being put in there, along with renovation of the town itself. Prices of the new build campo houses seem very well priced at the moment.

I mention this as you say you have kids. I reckon it's in a stunning country location yet within a 10 minute drive of Velez and the coast.

Just my 2p's worth, and our house is not in Arenas................good luck anyway. You've made the right choice investigating Anadalucia :wink:

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:17 pm

I can only comment on the areas I know and please note when I talk of quality of people Im not talking of wealth im talking of the type of people you will generally find in the areas.

If you want solitude and self sufficiency and quiet then any inland pueblo/campo.

If you have children and/or want a more active but not so much of a "real" spanish experience (although you can find it if you look and work at it its not bang in your face easy) then you cant beat the area of Nueva Andalucia/La Quinta area which is a residential area with many many nationalities near just a few minutes from Marbella and Puerto Banus. This area is generally filled with a better quality of people than many other populated areas of the coast (although this is changing with the influx of many noveaux riche commoners).

Also an option although not as busy but retaining the feel of marbella many years ago when the first foreign people moved here, is sotogrande. Has very good school, good shops but very few restaurants. It has a very good quality of people.

Other areas:
Mijas/Benalmadena and other areas: Here you dont really save much in real estate but is arguably a giant council estate. Mijas pueblo is a different case alltogether, much better quality of people but good schools are far and not that many good shops.

Estepona: Again you dont save much in real estate but isnt so much of a council estate although its no paradise, there are a good amount of spanish people living here and many foreigners that are generally good people. Not quite nueva andalucia but not as bad as mijas/benalmadena (somewhere in the middle, although nearer nueva andalucia).

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:25 pm

your favoured area to live and settle down
Think future..things change here at an incredible pace..whats good for you today..mañana might have changed..I believe that there is a place for everyone..though sometimes its not easy to find... but if you want to
suit a family with young kids?
unless you have 3 or more kids.. stick to built up areas where they would have friends to play with..the country is ideal for early retirement age but kids need moving around, which means you would be up and down all day as kids taxi.. school and so so many birthday parties....choose a school first..then find a home that fits... :)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:45 pm

Sound advice Silver :)