Anyone know someone similar?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:43 pm

And was he a gossip?
Grouser

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:35 pm

Having just read the article I realise I am guilty of spreading an urban myth. Apparently there is no more truth in the idea that women speak more words per day than men do, than there is in the notion that eskimoes have seventeen different words for snow. It just seems that way.
Grouser

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:58 pm

eskimos...

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 am

'Parlanchina'. now there's a word you don't come across every day. You don't get the chance to use it often either except at great risk to life and limb.
parlanchin/parlanchina can be used without risk... talkative..chatterbox..talker... someone who talks a lot of nonsense.. or someone who talks too much about others (cotilla)..it depends on the rest of the phrase as to how it comes over..it is sometimes used in a "cariñoso" way.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:30 pm

I was talking about using it to address the wife, and you reckon that carries no risk?
Grouser

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:42 pm

Grouser wrote: that carries no risk?
Only way there is no risk is if you are addressing a label on a parcel containing the wife!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:45 pm

I was talking about using it to address the wife
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I wouldn´t risk it...oh no..not on the wife..
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:30 am

"They certainly do in the Axarquia. Michael Thomas would have a coronary."

Anyroads

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:06 pm

Not quite.
Grouser

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:59 am

You mean he wasn't a Scouser Grouser !

well, he also played for "the Gunners" and if he was there these days, he really would have to be a linguist.

Anyroads

Cornflake
Andalucia.com Amigo

Quiero? Que?

Postby Cornflake » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:45 pm

peteroldracer wrote: . . those of us wanting to learn Spanish must learn that it is "thero", not "kero", and "oy" not "hoy"!
er, what Spanish word is kero? I've never heard of it. There are very few Spanish words starting with "k" - Kuwait, kilo (-metro, etc) and they're all pronounced with a "k" sound, not a "th" sound. Have I got the wrong end of the stick here somewhere?

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:51 pm

Yes, think you have the wrong end of the stick Cornflake. Peter was pointing out correct and incorrect pronunciation of "Cero". I think :?

Cornflake
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cornflake » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:54 pm

Grazie, signora, ora capisco!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Quiero? Que?

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:57 pm

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here somewhere?
In a word, friend - YES!
I was trying to illustrate how "ce" is pronounced using a crude phonetic = to show that it is the "th" sound, rather than a hard "c", or "k" sound, or indeed the English soft "c" - more like an "s" (e.g "ceremony").
As in "cerveza" being pronounced "ther bay tha"........and "cero" is not "sero" or "kero", but "thero" ?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:11 pm

The only problem I have here is with those who decide how I should live, I'll do my thing as and when it suits me, and If I chose NOT to learn, and or communicate in Spanish then it's nobodys business but my own, I hate political correctness but I abhor people who tell me how I should be living, it's my life ain't it :x

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:21 pm

From experience I find that the ones who go on about speaking spanish usually speak it very badly, they don't realise that though. My husband speaks it badly but does get by and I still love him despite he couldn't care less if he speaks it well or not :wink: We choose to dip in and out of cultures as it suits us. It seems to me that the stereotype spanish person on this forum is an illiterate peasant, hanging around the local bar, a bit of the "place in the sun syndrome" and it couldn't be further from the truth.