ceramica

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

ceramica

Postby pilgrim » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:54 pm

Have recently finished a course on decorating tiles and plates - now I am hooked!! Our teacher pointed us in the right direction for supplies and where to get stuff fired. Have looked for books on amazon etc for getting started but to no avail. Can anyone reccomend a good book, need one that deals with the real basics, like how to mix the paint, powder to water ratio etc (its bought by the kilo and put in plastic bags with no info), best types of glaze, and even which kiln to buy (well it is Christmas soon!!)

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:47 pm

Can't help with any of your queries but there was a lady surfing this site a few weeks ago who was selling a kiln so why not put a wanted ad in the classifieds and she might find you!

mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Ceramics

Postby mark » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:22 pm

Why didn't you ask the teacher???? :roll:

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:44 pm

because she is Spanish, the lessons were in Spanish, no English was spoken by anyone, we are in Spain :) I would prefer a book in English

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:40 am

i am a ceramics teacher Please ask away.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:17 pm

Found this link which might help??
http://www.potters.org/subject78917.htm

Gus

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

thanks

Postby pilgrim » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:10 pm

many thanks for the info. melandsharon will be in touch soon, waiting for our plates to be brought back from being fired this week and have a list of Q's for our teacher and I have visitors arriving tomorrow for a week.... hope the weather changes for them!!!

rafiki
Resident

Re: thanks

Postby rafiki » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:55 pm

Brian.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

methods

Postby pilgrim » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Q for melandsharon, have been and bought the gear so in preparation for our first go at home here a couple of q's, whats ratio for the powder (colours) to water for use with the 'squeezy thing" with 'fino'end (as advised by our teacher). I asked about painting the tiles using a paint brush, and our teacher said to put the transparente glaze on first let dry then paint on it, no need to fire at all. Is this right? Any other useful tips would be great. Posted the Q's here in case others are interested, its inexpensive to do, and at the public horno (kiln) just 20 euros gets a small kiln full fired, 50 euros for a large kiln full. (thats here in Seville) so not bad.

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:54 pm

OK
1st you mix the powder it is called on glaze colour to a paste that will flow,
the slip trailer is the other thing
now that is used generally for applying slip or a clay substance that is a raised line on the plate/tile. (is it like a bubble with a fine end ?) that you need to mix to the consitancey of thick cream that has not been whiped that is will coat the back of the spoon like a thick batter
the process you are describing a "Majolica" paining on to a unfired glazed surface, what you will have to be careful with is the colour bleeding. and not disturbing the glaze surface (it is not unrepairable as a dab of the glaze if it has been moved is all that is needed)
and you need a very steady hand.
the firing ? do you know what temperature ?
I would think 1060 as it is an earthen ware process,.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:51 am

Our first plates and things are being fired today! Can't wait to see the result.
melandsharon have miss laid your ph no. can you pm me with it please, I have a feeling we have a few q's for you:lol:
When we went to get some more colours a different guy served us and asked us what type of colour did we want? We showed him what we had bough previously / I have a feeling we might need to come to one of your classes!!