Fifth time in 14 months government has raised tobacco tax

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Moving Soon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Moving Soon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:48 pm

I can't say at the moment I feel as if all my body cells had been replaced by new ones - if only! Maybe it has been too long and the good effects have worn off again, or maybe the good stuff is all there inside and it's just the exterior that looks knackered. :(

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:49 pm

Grouser
There is hope for your friends son. My friends son has just started to be able to interact with other people after three years of treatment. He still gets stressed in crowds or with people he does not know.

Talking of the effects of drugs and how they are different for each of us.
My mother had open heart and her left knee done. Both times she had morphine 'No problems'. When she had her right knee done she flipped out for two days. She was sure the nurses were trying to poison her. Got out of bed and tried to smash the window to escape and called me a ba**** for not rescuing her. All this and the racist remarks were really upsetting as when she came back to earth she remembered it all.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:49 pm

I would not just assume it was the morphine, todd - my partner's mother (at 85) carried on just like that (or worse, as she tried to ring a taxi from the ward freephone, to take her to the police station as the nurses were trying to kill her....there were ghosts in the ward....she failed to recognise her sons....), and it took a lot of "discussion" before the staff would admit that she had become infected with an MRSA-type bug....she was very seriously ill for some days, and we strongly suspected rapid covering-of-a r s e s as the medical profession so often does!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:37 pm

Actually Nevada it seems to be slightly more complex than you and I suggest. I don't quite know where I got the seven year figure from but after you contested it I had a look on the web. According to this article we are both sort of right except that cells in some parts of the body are replaced much faster and in others slower. Nothing specific on lungs though.
http://www.supercentenarian.com/archive/cells.html
Grouser

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:50 pm

Todd the problem my friend has with her son is the difficulty of getting him to take his medication. It took a long time for him to concede that he was ill. Then when he took the medicine he felt better and stopped taking it, with the inevitable result that he became ill again. She faces a long uphill task I suspect. Even when he does take his medication he seems pretty incapable of looking after himself and making the judgments required to hold down a job, and this is a boy who as a teenager seemed to have all the drive and dedication necessary to become a very successful adult in the peculiar capitalist world we live in.
Grouser

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:34 pm

my response is based on the generalizations of smoking
as you presented them, but the statement is the result of more than
one or two articles on the web...
(your article, while interesting, makes no reference to rejuvenation
in relationship to the ravages of smoking... )
the process is accumulative - the period relative
(and depends on all the rest of the abuses one inflicts on oneself)
as for the lungs - healthier, yes
rosy pink - not even in your dreams...

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:40 pm

Todays news

Bargain-hunters have been blocked from buying cheap booze and cigarettes over the internet following a landmark EU ruling.

The decision, which is good news for Chancellor Gordon Brown and finance ministers in around nine European states, was made in Luxembourg and concerned the laws surrounding "booze-cruise" cross-Channel customers.

Judges have now ruled that armchair shoppers will not be able to benefit from the tax rates in the country of purchase. The Treasury currently raises £16 billion annually from alcohol and tobacco duties.

A test case had been brought by a group of wine buffs in the Netherlands who import top quality French wines and resented paying Dutch duties on top of the French excise duties they had already paid.

The decision goes against the opinion of an adviser to the court, who had suggested individuals be allowed to buy alcohol in another country, have it delivered to their home and pay the duty only of the country where the alcohol was bought.

It could have meant that 200 Latvian cigarettes would have only been subject to local duty of just £7.20 instead of £50 in the UK.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:46 pm

The smugglers will be pleased too i bet.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:10 pm

rosy pink - not even in your dreams...
It might surprise you what can happen in my dreams. It certainly sometimes surprises me. However I'm happy to settle for a stained but functional set of lungs that will get me up hills. They certainly work better now than they did twenty years ago, unlike my legs. I did have a look on the net for pictures of lungs to see if there were any ex smokers ones, with no success. Of the lungs I did find however, many were not a pleasant sight.
Grouser

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:42 pm

Some interesting statistics in the Guardian today. We (the UK) get the top percentage for cocaine consumption per head of population in Europe. (Nice to know we can come top in something.) We come second for marijuana, beaten by Denmark. Spain gets second place for cocaine and third for marijuana. Not bad eh? We are talking in £billions here. So the drug laws, put in place and their inforcement over the past how ever many years it is now, together with the drugs awareness programmes in schools, are working well aren't they?
Grouser

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:10 pm

Spain gets second place for cocaine and third for marijuana. Not bad eh?
I bet britain is helping Spain get to third place.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.