electrical sockets

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Cornflake
Andalucia.com Amigo

electrical sockets

Postby Cornflake » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:12 pm

Why is it that you can't get switched Spanish electrical sockets?
You have to keep pulling the plug out, which combined with the ludicrous way they're fixed into the wall box (including rubber bands and little clawed bits of metal) means that the sockets end up falling off the wall or all at c*ck-eyed angles . .

(I assume it is not allowed to speak the name of a male chicken on this forum!)

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:14 pm

Never had that problem! maybe your's were DIY fitted by last occupant.
:lol:
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: electrical sockets

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:20 pm

Cornflake wrote:Why is it that you can't get switched Spanish electrical sockets?
I ordered mine on ebay, my Spanish electrician thinks they are fantastic.

Not had problem of sockets coming out, hope that there are back boxes?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:38 pm

You can buy in any electrical supply shop...enchufe con interruptor.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: electrical sockets

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:37 am

Cornflake wrote:(including rubber bands and little clawed bits of metal)
those are "secondary fixings" there should be a small scr ew either side. the back boxes should be fixed in place with "yeso" a rock hard substance that only a kango is going to remove.

we normally remove the claws ;)

and the rubber band is only there to hold the claws together to make putting the socket into the box easier, it has nothing to do with the fixings.

only old sockets or cheap crappy nasty ones have the claws anyways ;) the decent stuff that we fit doesn´t even have them... ;)

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:56 am

silver wrote:
You can buy in any electrical supply shop...enchufe con interruptor.
Not round our way you cant nor is one in any catalogue they have in the shops. If you have got one can you post a foto of it so I can show our local shop keeper and see if he can get some in for me please?

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:38 pm

Saw them in Bauhaus recently.

Cornflake
Andalucia.com Amigo

socket to me . .

Postby Cornflake » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:59 pm

. . well . .
our sockets are brand new (well 2 years old - new with the new property) and electrical/build standards in here are as good as I've seen anywhere in Spain.
Have looked all over (not exactly busting a gut, you understand) for switched sockets - which in the UK you'd have a hard(er) time finding unswitched. Will look into Bauhaus - they certainly don't have 'em in Fuengirola or Leroy Merlin in Marbella.
Als0 -
why are the Spanish so mean with their sockets? In the UK you'd normally always put in a double - here a single, and half the quantity. Result - Xmas trees of double and treble adaptors in each socket. That you can't switch off.
:o

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:05 pm

Converted all my singles over to double with simple change of fronts I found in Bauhaus.
Two minute job, only had to drill another hole and plug it for the new fixing screw, used one of the originals and just rewired the new socket, there was no need to enlargen the existing cavity.
And they were only about 2euros each.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Re: socket to me . .

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:24 pm

Cornflake wrote:why are the Spanish so mean with their sockets? In the UK you'd normally always put in a double - here a single, and half the quantity. Result - Xmas trees of double and treble adaptors in each socket. That you can't switch off.
:o
the house we are wiring so far has 48 sockets and we´ve not started on the kitchen. its a 3 bed 2 bath campo house.

we never fit a single socket unless it is specifically asked for behind a fridge or something.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:04 pm

The thing that confuses me is that the Spanish contractor did a complete re-wire and did a fine job but some of the sockets have not got wiring in the trunking and they left the old wiring that was nailed to the beams.

He said the empty trunking would cost me more to wire up.

When I asked about the removal of old wires he said it would cost more.
I told him to 'FFFFFFFFF ooooooof' and it took about half an hour to pull them out.

This was just before I sacked the main contractor.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: socket to me . .

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:48 pm

spanish_lad wrote:
we never fit a single socket unless it is specifically asked for behind a fridge or something.
I hope you would refuse to put a socket behind an appliance and propose fitting a fused switch in an easy accessible position adjacent to the appliance (':)')

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:45 pm

why bongtrees? there is no regulation against it, a single socket is positioned behind and at the highest level possible where it remains hidden.

a water heater has a seperate breaker, as does a washing machine and a tumble drier.

we´ve never fitted a switched supply to an applience. i´ve never seen one for sale.

when a switched supply becomes regulation as in the uk (think big red switch above the cooker) then we´ll do it.

whatever things would be a good idea, unfortunatly its 90% down to cost that the customer will not cover. most of them want everything as cheap as possible :(

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:25 pm

If you have got one can you post a foto of it
Yes I do have one..maybe be able to take a foto in a couple of weeks time...but what it looks like is a double socket on one side the plug holes and on the other side a flat switch...looks just like a light switch... so I can plug in anything then switch on or off..it was fitted a couple of years ago... ask a local electrician.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 pm

silver wrote:
If you have got one can you post a foto of it
Yes I do have one..maybe be able to take a foto in a couple of weeks time...but what it looks like is a double socket on one side the plug holes and on the other side a flat switch...looks just like a light switch... so I can plug in anything then switch on or off..it was fitted a couple of years ago... ask a local electrician.
so its actually a double back box, and the switch is used to turn on or off the socket ?? thats erm.. interesting :shock:

so has anyone had a SINGLE socket with a switch ?

ps, it now has 72 sockets / switches. its only a 3 bed house !!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:43 pm

silver wrote:
but what it looks like is a double socket on one side the plug holes and on the other side a flat switch...looks just like a light switch... so I can plug in anything then switch on or off.
Silver are you 110% sure its not a combined plug and light switch? they exist in Spain.

I searched hgh and low for a fused switch and the electrician company I use (unlike my builders) are very professional and say it does not exist in Spain.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:48 am

Silver are you 110% sure its not a combined plug and light switch? they exist in Spain.
well it does look the same...but
the switch controls the plug not a light...
say I plug a TV in this socket...if the switch is up..the TV does not come on...when the switch is down (switched on) the tV comes on.
there is no light involved.
so its actually a double back box, and the switch is used to turn on or off the socket ?
yes..I would call it
SINGLE socket with a switch
because that is what is visible or a
switched Spanish electrical sockets

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:45 am

ahhhh .. those are combined switches and sockets. i have one in my room.

you have the socket live, and the switch normally does a light...but i´ve never seen one wired to switch off the socket...but i guess it can be done.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:58 am

Although I've had the casa completely re-wired and now have earth wires and trip fuses I still prefer to use a UK adapter into a correctly rated fused plug. Sometimes I use a short two or four gang short extension that is also fused and has a switch to turn the power off.

Call me old fashioned but I still like to use a correctly fused plug, it's a comfort thing that I will probably get over. But as the adapters were only 50p each and I have a bucket-full it will be a while.

I also wired my lights with UK ceiling roses and light fittings. This was to enable me to hang light shades as the Spanish fittings are ropey to say the least and go black and brittle in no time. I then purchased a load of light adapters that change the fitting from bayonet to screw thread.

Am I the only one that has bulbs that continually work loose and require a tweak now and then when the light fails to go on? :evil: :idea:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:18 pm

spanish_lad wrote:ahhhh .. those are combined switches and sockets. i have one in my room.

you have the socket live, and the switch normally does a light...but i´ve never seen one wired to switch off the socket...but i guess it can be done.

but they have no earth - which is actually illegal and will not pass the bullatin.