Spelling and throwing rocks

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:46 pm

You are all wrong. When using my keyboard and what seem to be typing errors, dyslexia, incorrect spelling, poor grammar and Malapropisms and Spoonerisms there is another reason. I think I have a poltergeist sitting by my shoulder that I must have upset in a previous existence. This seems perfectly logical to me and most of the warders here agree.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:35 pm

Mijas Bound, I agree. Just an aside, in this weeks sur in english...
Puerto anus (no proof reader)
Xmas lunch ad'
Prelude- mosaic of appetisers
Parmentier soup with spanish oil and spinning eggs of quail
Paradise delicatessen in cava
You would think at 80 euros a head they could pay a decent translator.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:48 pm

katy wrote:Puerto anus
katy: no mistake there, I feel, merely a comment? :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:39 pm

So Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Winston Churchill, Walt Disney, Steve Jobs, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Michael Faraday, Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, Charles Darwin, Richard Branson, Henry Ford, Ted Turner, John Chambers (Cisco), William Hewlett (HP), George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, George Burns etc. are / were just using dyslexia as an excuse!

Right: And you all think dyslexia is about reading and writing and that those that claim to have it are really just lazy.

As I said before it all about how your brain looks at things, your perception etc. Mine was identified following two days of tests.
The conclusion is that every thing I do is to the left, left footed, left eye, turn around to the left, left handed etc. None of this is due to bad parenting and in fact I remember happy days when my left hand was tied behind me at school to try and make me use my right hand.

What it all boils down to is how I see things and my perception.
It's also down to my brain composing at 110% while my hand writes at 60%. This coupled with bad short term memory but good long term memory results in a brain memory hiccup, where in some cases I can miss whole sentences out but when I read it back I can't see that they are missing.

I'd much sooner write from right to left. As the majority rule I have to try and conform and it has been difficult to say the least. However after being thrown out of school at 15 with no qualifications to my name, I had another crack at education at 34 and washed the floor with all my exams. I'm now a Fellow of 5 professional institutes, a chartered Fellow of one and member of a few more. All by formal examination.

I'm still dyslexic and have to try doubly hard. I'm often asked by clients for opinion on problems because I look at things in a different way and sometimes come up with solutions that others have not even considered.

Think what you like but in my view Dyslexia is real.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:50 pm

amazing -
someone with all these accomplishments
can't seem to cope with being corrected for a spelling error...
or is there less to you
than meets the eye...?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:07 pm

toddcl wrote:And you all think that those that claim to have it are really just lazy.
toddcl - I for one have not said it is laziness - or am I being unkind by not realising that someone wearing the dyslexic label is not able to read and understand properly? Rather than segregate - what, 10% of the population is it? - I would suggest substantially better selection and training of teachers. It is no use blindly blabbering on to a class and setting rigid exercises without checking the level of comprehension of each pupil - and the tests should have nothing to do with funding, league tables and so on, but be tools that the teacher and the school use to see how well they are doing their job, and what changes are required to do it better! If some pupils need to be trained to slow down so that they give their brains a chance to absorb what they are being told, then so be it. It is exactly the same as training anyone - it is no use letting a trainee mile runner blast off and be exhausted by the first 200 yards, they must be taught to pace themselves and performance will come, just as a trainee typist does not start off at 150 words per minute! There is at least one organisation purporting to support dyslexics that has a banner slogan or motto on the lines of "the gifted ones"....unwillingness to concentrate is in my view, not a gift, but a bad habit to be corrected.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:50 pm

Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Winston Churchill, Walt Disney, Steve Jobs, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Michael Faraday, Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, Charles Darwin, Richard Branson, Henry Ford, Ted Turner, John Chambers (Cisco), William Hewlett (HP), George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, George Burns etc.
Who made up this list - the Dyslexia Charity Lobby? I know charities need celebs to raise their profile, but digging up dead bodies !? :oops:
Wasn't Jade Goody or that bloke off of Big Brother available? :lol:

chicdiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chicdiz » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:43 pm

alaninspain wrote:You are all wrong. When using my keyboard and what seem to be typing errors, dyslexia, incorrect spelling, poor grammar and Malapropisms and Spoonerisms there is another reason. I think I have a poltergeist sitting by my shoulder that I must have upset in a previous existence. This seems perfectly logical to me and most of the warders here agree.

l

Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing.
- Randy K. Milholland

Not meant personally, Alan, but I thought there must be some relevance somewhere, somehow and, besides, it's witty.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:04 am

Dyslexia is a difference in the brain area that deals with language. It affects the underlying skills that are needed for learning to read, write and spell. Brain imaging techniques show that dyslexic people process information differently. In a report on the House of Lords Dyslexia debate which took place on December 7, 2005, the government confirms that dyslexia is not a myth.
It is so simple to make a spelling mistake... even for experts.
It is so difficult for experts to understand so why some do it more often.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.