Renaming of Calahonda

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

Renaming of Calahonda

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:45 pm

It’s really strange. Despite all the research that I did before coming out here, and the fact that I have lived here for 15 months now, I have only just discovered that Calahonda was named as a result of a sponsorship deal with the Honda Corporation.

I hear that the 30 year deal ends at midnight on the last day of December this year and the area is to be renamed from 1 January 2007.

I am amazed that I have not heard more about this during this year, and wonder what input the residents, and businesses, had over the new sponsors. After all, they will have to change notepaper, business cards, shop signs, etc., and what I heard did not make it clear whether or not compensation was to be paid.

How much say did the residents have, or did it all come down to the money offered by the new sponsors?

Anyway, it appears that the new sponsors are Coca Cola, and from 1 January the area will be known as Calacola; it will take some getting used to, but I guess as always that money rules.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Cocacala has more of a ring to it don't you think?
Grouser

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:50 pm

What about cocalandia or cocabella that would get them some publicity

julian
Andalucia Guru

calahonda

Postby julian » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:53 pm

I heard a while ago about this news, but I was told that the change of name would be from 1st april 2007, not 1st january.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:03 pm

They could just call it Soweto after it's twin town. :lol: