Gifts for Valentine's Day?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Gifts for Valentine's Day?

Postby hillybilly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:11 am

:wink: It had to be asked!
What will you be buying your beloved for Valentine's Day?
As already hinted at, I'd like a diamond .................................................. ......................................................................bladed wall chaser please.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:40 pm

As this thread will vanish before your very eyes the first time anyone dares to laugh I'm staying out of it, except to say that Aldi has a good offer on cable detectors and lazer levels at the moment although if you dared to build anything level in our casa it would look wierd.So I think she's having a cable detector and a new chisel.

:lol: 8)
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:29 pm

Sorry Hilary but todd is right, pointless to post. :roll:

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:16 pm

I'm with you Hilly, anything with the word Diamond in it will bring a smile :lol:

Failing that anything warm its freezing up here!

The posts only get deleted if they degenerate into that awful Les Dawson 1970's mother-in-law, her-indoors sort of humor that's only funny down the pub with your old drinking buddies :shock: Not surprisingly very few women find it funny and especially when its repeated ad nauseum.

Guys, women are at least 50% of the board!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:31 pm

The posts only get deleted if they degenerate into that awful Les Dawson 1970's mother-in-law, her-indoors sort of humor that's only funny down the pub with your old drinking buddies Not surprisingly very few women find it funny and especially when its repeated ad nauseum.
At least half of the posters in those threads were women, they joined in and were well able to hold their own and take part in tongue in cheek humour.
The boards degenerate when someone decides that they know better what EVERYONE likes and try to censor the humour so that it suits their particular style.
It is a big enough forum for ALL to enjoy, and we are all perfectly able to read or ignore something which is not particularly to our taste in humour.
Diversity of likes and dislikes is a truer reflection of a community, than when everything has to stick to the vein preferred by just some. :roll:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:08 pm

samizdat wrote:Failing that anything warm its freezing up here!
Aaaaw. I would send you my gloves that took a week to thaw out after our skiing expedition but the dog has now destroyed them...

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:24 pm

Aaaaw. I would send you my gloves that took a week to thaw out after our skiing expedition but the dog has now destroyed th
em.

sweetie, you're all heart :lol: maybe my valentine's wish should be a boiler that works on Gas rather than this smelly noisy Gasoil, I still can't sleep with the boiler on at night as the explosions when the diesel ignites wake me thinking theres a bomb, break-in or an earthquake.!!

note to self : next time i buy i house, check winter temperatures and proximity of earthquake zones :roll:

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:01 pm

I'm with spanish hopes - and I loved Les Dawson. How on earth could samizdat call him 'awful'? What's wrong with MIL and her-indoors jokes if you have a sense of humour - and I take you to task that very few women find it funny - apart from the ones with no sense of humour? Must be very sad living in that kind of world.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:15 pm

and I take you to task that very few women find it funny - apart from the ones with no sense of humour? Must be very sad living in that kind of world.

not at all, i dont find jokes which involve people falling over, having custard pies in their faces funny either.

Maybe its a generational difference, humour moves on.... I'm sure a lot of people don't find steven fry, fraiser or will and grace funny either.

however i dont care enough to argue this point for yet another time. Its a thread about pressies for Valentines day.!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:01 pm

however i dont care enough to argue this point for yet another time. Its a thread about pressies for Valentines day.!
Too true, it could have been about Xmas presents, mother in laws, Easter gifts or anything else which some find humorous but others don't.
The principle is the same, "Light the Blue Touch Paper and retire", whatever one does it mustn't be to listen to anyone elses point of view.

How many different generations do you find in any community. Are the points of view, the likes or the dislikes invalid for some and not others?

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:03 am

Dear Dear sa..
I love Stephen Fry (watching my xmas cd of Q. I. as we speak) AND Les Dawson AND people falling over AND having pies thrown in their face AND Will and Grace AND Ricky Gervais AND Russell Brand. I only watch the tele for fun and read for all my intellectual stimulation. Life is too short not to laugh when people are having a go at being funny! So---all you cheerful chaps carry on with your good ideas for Valentines Day. My husband is a great cook--- I got a set of scales, a grater, some flour storage tins AND 2 heart shaped ramekin dishes in preparation for me making him a Valentine's meal on the big day!
anyway, anyway, love from me.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:34 am

Following an accident last week where my wife got stuck to the windscreen of my car while de-icing the windsceen for me.

She was blowing on it to melt the ice and got to close, resulting in her top lip being fused to the windscreen.

This resulted in the car defrosting taking longer than usual and I got caught in the rush hour.

So I'm of to the pound shop and going to blow £2 on a scraper and de-icer for her

8)
That's it! thread will be gone by lunch time.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:50 am

Lip stuck to the screen? You are spoiling her. That would be like having botox. :lol: :lol:

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:22 am

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha now THAT'S funny
anyway, anyway, love from me.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:52 am

I'm spending a fortune taking her up the Sierra Nevada for a day in the snow for valentines day. You know, holding hands, playing snowballs, hot chocolate and freezing cold fingers etc. Now I find that the UK is going to be buried in it. :shock:

I told her that my first choice was better value. I wanted to get her one of those ride on rotavators all the Spanish locals ride about on, to save her legs when she's carrying the shopping home. At the moment she has to make two trips as she can't manage all the shopping in one go and if she forgets to make the fire up between trips I have to shiver until he gets back. :cry:

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:39 am

She must not be very organized todd. Surely she could make the fire up before she went shopping in the first place, then light it before returning for her second load. Then when she returns the place would be nice and warm so that when she woke you up with a cup of coffee you wouldn't have that cold unloved feeling. If she sat down on the hearth whilst she lit the fire it would also give her legs a bit of respite.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:47 am

Im going to buy her a new plough and padding for her cage, wawaweeewa!

As for the tv personalities sub debate in the thread, frasier is very funny, dont know who stephen fry is and dont think will and grace is funny and hate rusel brand.

Spingo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spingo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:09 pm

This year I might treat him to a tin of SPAM. He can cut slices of it into heart shapes for his lunch box to remind him of me. Leftover slices can be used as insoles for his work boots to keep him comfy all day. And when it's empty he can use the tin as a handy storage container to keep the countless screws, nails and other extraneous items of that ilk that he thoughtfully leaves about the house. :wink:

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:06 pm

Just out of interest and to give this thread some relevance to Andalusia, do the Spanish recognise Valentines Day? If so is it a tradition, or just another thing that has been introduced (like Halloween) as a marketing gimmick to flog stuff?
Grouser

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:08 pm

to give this thread some relevance to Andalusia
Why do you find that to be so necessary grouser?

Many contributors live in Andalucia and though not Spanish they celebrate Valentines Day. Surely Admin could not object to the thread as it doesn't say anywhere that all threads must relate to Spanish Festivals or Holidays.