Disabled Parking Spaces

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Babby
Resident

Disabled Parking Spaces

Postby Babby » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Does anyone know if the disabled parking spaces are checked? Its just that whenever we go to Eroski or Lidl there are always lovely cars, BMWs, Mercedes etc. and the people that get out of them don´t look disabled at all.

We saw one woman who did get out of a car with a wheelchair with a couple of friends and they parked in a normal space.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

prime mover

Postby prime mover » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:16 pm

Could it be that supermarket car parks are built on private land and therefore not subject to local municipal laws, this is the case in the UK where supermarkets for example, have designated disabled car spaces but the use of them cannot be enforced by law ie you cannot be prosecuted for parking in one if you are able bodied.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:11 pm

These ablebodied but sad people, who believe that a car is more important than a person, tend to park in disabled bays because they are near the building and covered by CCTV - that's the excuse. I think that they are just Lazy Selfish Ignorant B@stards and their cars should be torched. :x
They are putting two fingers up to disabled people and their rights.
Hard luck if an authentic disabled person comes along - they have to struggle across the carpark.

prime mover

Postby prime mover » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:56 pm

Kevin, you're not a Wayne Fontana fan are you :shock:

pdellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Disabled parking spaces

Postby pdellis » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:53 pm

My father is disabled and has the valid blue discs to display in car parks. When a normal space is available relatively close to the entrance, we use them. However when necessary we do use the disabled bays.

Went to Leroys just before xmas and couldn't park anywhere near the entrance. All the disabled bays were being used by mercs, BMWs & 4x4's (including one on Brit plates). It was a delight to see the Policia arrive and immediately put tickets on ALL the vehicles (including the 4x4 on Brit plates with a young blond apparantly tyring to translate the ticket when she got back to her vehicle)

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:15 pm

:D :D applause :D :D

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:19 am

Nice one pd, this subject is interesting as I had an altercation with two youths recently who parked in a disabled bay..they were about 20, fit and healthy, no disabled badge, didn't even have the posh car excuse as they drove a clapped out VW Polo. They weren't the only ones doing it though.
BTW this wasn't a supermarket. It was outside the sports centre :oops: - poor lads couldn't even walk 30m from the car park to do their workout. What hope have we got for our future Olympic squad in 2012!
This was in UK, no doubt it doesn't happen too much in Andalucia! :wink:

Markymark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Disabled parking...

Postby Markymark » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:47 am

I've had this problem as my father is disabled (one leg) and at the airport we kindly asked someone to not park ion the disabled bay & were rudely screamed at that he had a bad hip & he needed it too!

I am pleased to note though that at La Trocha in Coin they have signs up in the disabled bays saying if you want my space have my disability.... I quite frankly would like to glue this sign to car screens that selfishly take a disabled bay! There is NO excuse no matter how much of a rush you're in!

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:24 pm

I totally agree!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:35 am

I understand the complaints of the people who are registered disabled and are unable to park in disabled spaces HOWEVER not all people who are unable to walk long distances are registered. My daughter regularly has major surgery on her legs and when my husband takes her to the shops he needs to park in the bays to enable her to get to the shop. He is not registered, he seldom takes her shopping but when he does he needs to park in the bays for her. You would be AMAZED at the abuse he gets when he gets out of the car first in order to help my daughter out from the back of the car. The rudeness of many registered disabled people is appalling and their speediness in judging others quite surprising.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:24 pm

I have on several occasions, when feeling particularly incensed/brave/stupid asked obviously fit people parking in a disabled spot "Is it a mental disability you have?"
I think my grasp of Spanish needs to be a tad better before I risk doing it here!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:45 pm

annie_d wrote:The rudeness of many registered disabled people is appalling and their speediness in judging others quite surprising.
I agree completely, people are far too ready to question someone elses use of this space. People with disabled passengers can drop them off at the door and then go and park the car, also people who are disabled and alone make provisions for this and if they can walk around the supermarket they can walk from one end of the car park to another so although inconvenient and unfair for them its not the end of the world. Having said that I always park at the other end of the car park with no other cars around or take up 2 space so no moron can damage my car when parking or getting out of theirs and I never park in disabled places nor do I care if others do it.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:06 pm

Whereas I agree wholeheartedly with the provision of disabled spaces (Disabled Non drivers can also apply for permits to use when being driven somewhere), I think that the furtherence to include 'Mother and Child' spaces is a tad PC too far.
If you are an able-bodied male you end up parking so far away from the store that your food has gone off by the time you get it in the boot.
Why should the breeding mares be given special privelages?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:12 pm

spanish hopes wrote:Why should the breeding mares be given special privelages?
It is purely for the protection of the rest of us, spanish hopes. A mad mother, hormones still all over the place after the hatching process, with a screaming brat kicking her and your paintwork, trying to open a buggy with more sticky-out bits to score your car, possibly an older child sneakily beginning a career in graffiti, or twocking, or simply putting sticky little fingermarks or its nose dribblings on your shiny carriage - they should be kept a long, long way away from the rest of humanity!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.