Residencia or no Residencia ??

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
marchamona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Residencia or no Residencia ??

Postby marchamona » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm

As an EU citizen, I'm told I do not need to have a residence permit, though most sources say it is advisable.
I have registered with my town hall and received the 'empadronamiento' paper.
Just turned 65 and been told I should take certain forms, (received from UK pensions dept.)to local Social Security dept. to arrange for future medical services.
However it states I need to present my' residencia'. I checked with town hall, who inform me this is correct, and that the 'empadronamiento' will not do.
Anyone else come across situations where, contrary to the rule, you MUST have a residents card?

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:28 pm

You do really need a Residencia card if your a pensioner. 18 months ago I managed to get my medical card (red & white Seguridad Social) without Residencia but things change all the time.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:31 pm

Copied from A.com ( in Living in Andalucia above) from the following link:-

To reside in Spain the following persons must apply for a Residence Card:

Citizens of Members States of the EU or of countries included in the EEA Agreement who are retired and entitled to a pension, but who have not resided in Spain for more than three years.

http://andalucia.com/living/residency.htm

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:51 pm

Despite what some web sites may say, currently you need a 'tarjeta comunitaria' if you are retired or living on independent means:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servle ... 0455474963

or if you want it from the horse's mouth:

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/extranje/regi ... encia.html

marchamona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby marchamona » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks for the help.

Seems I have to get my 'residencia'.

Shame really as apart from being a generally laid back type, I have two pet hates:Beaurocracy and queues!!

Not sure that the Andalucia.com info on how to apply is up to date. I was told I needed just photos, copies of passport, apllication form and 'empadronamiento'. no one mentioned bank statements etc.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:27 pm

marchamona wrote:...I have two pet hates:Beaurocracy and queues!!
...welcome to Spain - you'll have a field day! :lol:
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:24 pm

You do not need bank statements etc ,just the few items mentioned, if possible get copies of your passports to take as they need more than one copy. Also if you download the application form and complete before going to the office get copies of that as well, it will save you time.

pwwm

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:43 pm

I still don't understand why anyone would not want a residencia. It makes life so much easier.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:43 pm

Absolutely. Much better and easier than having to carry a Passport around.
It baffles me why there is such a fuss about introducing ID Cards in the UK. There are so many occasions these days when some form of ID is asked for so why not have a standard official one!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 pm

I have found that a residencia and a Spanish driving licence smooth the way considerably and open many doors that would otherwise remain closed.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:48 pm

Is it wise to confess to housebreaking on such a public forum? :twisted:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:37 pm

It's amazing what a little piece of plastic will do but, unfortunately, with modern security deadlocks life is a little more difficult for us burglars these days. :(

dooby
Andalucia.com Amigo

Residencia

Postby dooby » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:24 pm

I applied for my residencia in Granada last September, I took all the listed documents, plus numerous copies and all they required was a copy of my passport and my NIE, they didn't look at my empadronmiento. What they did want however, was an extra copy (2 in total) of the application form, which states at the bottom 1 copy. So I had to go outside to a little shop, get it copied and then queue again.

My husband, who does NOT have his residencia yet and was not required to show his empadronmiento, has got his Autonomo which means he also has his social security card for medical treatment, I am a beneficiary, but my children are not! We have been told that we need their NIE and Residencia, birth certificates in long form, our marriage certificate, and their empadronamiento? Other people in the village have their children included without the need for residencia.

I am going to apply for residencia for the children next week and will take every document I have, knowing my luck, they will probably want the kids bank statements!!!!

dido72
Resident

!

Postby dido72 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:09 pm

How often do you have to renew your residencia?

I have heard so many different stories I am slightly confused!

Diana :?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:23 pm

Every five years.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:44 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Every five years.
Yes, but allow 12 months for the renewal to be carried out!
Seriously! :roll:

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:10 am

Just for the record, whilst I agree having residencia does make life a lot easier, I have (in the past couple of weeks) registered two E121s with the relevant authority on passports - although one was originally rejected because the empadronmiento was not up to date enough - solved by a quick visit to the town hall . Think about it, with residencia taking up to a year to process, there has to be an alternative!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:39 am

jane grant wrote: Think about it, with residencia taking up to a year to process, there has to be an alternative!
They usually accept a NIE plus stamped solicitude for residencia.

marchamona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby marchamona » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:10 pm

jane grant wrote:Just for the record, whilst I agree having residencia does make life a lot easier, I have (in the past couple of weeks) registered two E121s with the relevant authority on passports - although one was originally rejected because the empadronmiento was not up to date enough - solved by a quick visit to the town hall . Think about it, with residencia taking up to a year to process, there has to be an alternative!
I too was told the 'empadronamiento had 'run out'. As I thought this was proof of my registration at the local town hall, cannot see why it does run out! I am still here, and hopefully still registered, though I never receive any paperwork (i.e. voting forms)?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:02 pm

It is the certificate that expires not the registration.