Alioli

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Alioli

Postby Cadore33 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi all

Looking to buy or recreate an alioli I had recently....it was very light and very white - I can't describe it other than it didn't seem very mayonnaise-y?

Can anyone enlighten me please :thumbup:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Alioli

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:16 pm

Although it is often made like a mayonnaise with egg I have heard Spanish say it should be made without the egg and a friend said they make it with milk, oil, lemon juice and garlic. I think there are a lot of different versions of it and the ones that I am given in our local restaurants always seem to be the very white version.

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Aha, seems to be the Lebanese garlic sauce, Toum, which is egg free...
Never heard of it before but I think it beats the egg version hands down...pun intended ;)

Anyhoo, it's yummy...!

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Wicksey wrote:Although it is often made like a mayonnaise with egg I have heard Spanish say it should be made without the egg and a friend said they make it with milk, oil, lemon juice and garlic. I think there are a lot of different versions of it and the ones that I am given in our local restaurants always seem to be the very white version.
Just been told the very same thing!
Thanks Wicksey :)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:32 pm

The Spanish will make it either way, with or without egg.

However the white gunge you get in restaurants is nothing like the real thing - it's more like wallpaper paste or a garlicky version of Angel Delight. I suspect they buy it as a powder and add water and a bit of cheap oil. Olive oil and eggs are expensive, so most restaurants do it on the cheap. That said, it does taste OK, but it's not to be confused with the real thing.

Aioli made by either of the traditional methods would be very strong and too much for most people who are not used to it.To emulsify the oil without egg would take a lot of garlic. The Mayo based Aioli you can buy in jars is more like the real thing.

Sid

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 am

Milk....sunflower oil (not olive oil)...garlic and salt are the basic ingredients for a great alioli. Other additions, depending on your taste, could be lemon juice, a pinch of mustard, fine breadcrumbs or parsley. Play around with it. I usually just do the basic.

Poppy

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:02 am

poppy1 wrote:Milk....sunflower oil (not olive oil)...garlic and salt are the basic ingredients for a great alioli.
Poppy
Pretty much! I've watched a great video on making Toum, that just uses oil, garlic, salt and lemon juice and looks exactly like what I'm looking for :D

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am

El Cid wrote: ...the white gunge you get in restaurants is nothing like the real thing - it's more like wallpaper paste or a garlicky version of Angel Delight..
Sid
I must have been lucky and have avoided this so far Sid, I've only had a white one that is smooth, light and fluffy....def. not keen to try garlic Angel Delight version :sick:

VickyTae

Postby VickyTae » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:46 am

In Spain, Ali oli is a very common sauce in Catalan cuisine. Mostly used for meats. There are several Catalan companies that make it and are easy to find in shops. If you don't know where to look, I could propose some. Cheers

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Reported !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)