Price increases!

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Price increases!

Postby olive » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:22 pm

We have no doubt all got used to price increases of food and drink.

How about Mercadona pricing of Pedro Jimenez sherry. At the end of last year , it was 5.95 a bottle. Then it went up to 6.95. Yesterday it was 8.80. Supply issue? Or are they keeping basics low and offsetting that with outrageous increases on other items to maintain profits.

Has anyone else seen any disproportionate increases?

I went to the independent super next door and asked what they recommended. Quite an acceptable alternative - litre for 6.40. I use it for cooking too.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Price increases!

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:40 pm

There's been alot of backlash in the social media apparently, due to mercadona and the crazy increases they are implementing at the moment
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:46 am

Olive,
The price increases in Mercadona were very apparent to us also, everything seems to have gone up.
However all of the other supermarkets we've visited have hiked up prices, so now all impulse purchases have come to a halt in our household, sticking now to only the essentials on the shopping list !!
Saludos,
Scrooge.. :D

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:24 am

As we have an Eroski, Aldi Lidl and Mercadna all next to each other, we have taken to shopping around, something I wouldn't have contemplated before but because some of the price rises have been savage, it has become a necessity.

It was always the case that we visited them all, including Carrefour at some point over a period of time. However, I can't think of a time when I took price so much into account. Having said that, It might well be that when inflation goes down again and we get used to the new prices, we will go back to the old ways.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:16 pm

When it goes down? We will all of starved to death by then. I wish wages would increase in line with it.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:37 pm

It's the same here in the Uk, i always did my full shop at Morrisons but not anymore..Their prices have risen the most compared to others...It dosen't matter who i talk to everyone is doing the same.When things settle back down as Mark has said i'm not so sure i will go back to my old habits and stay loyal to any one store..I've learnt too much, tried other brands, shopped in stores i never used to use...Aldi washing up liquid is half the price of fairy and goes further, won't ever buy fairy liquid again.It adds to my time shopping around but i have become used to it and it's become part of routine.I easily spend up to £7,000 a yr on groceries and cuboard items and thats £7,000 Morrisons no longer gets from me...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:08 pm

We do my elderly dads weekly grocery shop online with Morrisons.

We used to struggle to reach the minimum spend of forty pounds, now it is 60 to 80 a week. They are not the cheap store they used to be.

We will however stick with them as it works especially the delivery driver who is very helpful and shows initiative.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:37 pm

We've noticed how much milk has gone up over the past year or so, and I think most things have risen in price. Its not unusual for our weekly bill to be near to 80€ for two of us without any drink and little meat. We shop in Lidl and Mercadona and buy certain things from different shops. Cat food which we get form Dia has risen too.
I was in Gibraltar yesterday on a cruise and so walked to Morrisons as I haven't been there for years and was shocked at their prices. Apart from the fact that many of the shelves were bare, the prices for some of their items were more than we pay in our local British supermarket in Torrox Costa (I don't buy a lot but we do like the curry sauces, Pataks etc). The Faustino VII that we usually pay about 3.75€ in Lidl was about 5.60 pounds. Fuel was very cheap but certainly not the worth the drive to go there. It's not somewhere I plan to return to,

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:21 am

Certainly prices of foods and non foods have risen dramatically , but from what I'm told Spain is still than cheaper than UK.
Of course if you really want to buy UK products then it is necessary to 'pay through the nose ', we really have replaced all our old favourites with Spanish brands except Marmite, which is just a treat not an essential.
I can't believe that all of the world problems are totally responsible for price increases though, methinks the suppliers and shops are just taking the opportunity to 'cash in ', not surprising really that so many people are striking in UK and other countries, hoping to be paid realistic wages.
Saludos,
Gordon.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:31 am

I see people in the local Brit shop buying basics that are a fraction of the price in Mercadona, like sugar and flour. Nowadays Mercadona have increased their range so do a better choice of brown sugar (including an integral cane sugar which is excellent) whereas years before you were lucky to get some demerara. They also do a form of self raising now, so it's really just the odd jar of Pataks, mushy peas for when I make fish and wedgy chips for dinner, and .... our favourite, taramasalata (which is a rare treat considering the high fat content!). Some local clubs still do trips down to Gib and Morrisons but I have no desire to ever go there again.

Katy Again
Tourist

Postby Katy Again » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:24 am

I think there is no excuse the supermarkets are doing it because they can.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:48 am

Katy Again wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:24 am I think there is no excuse the supermarkets are doing it because they can.
Agreed. There isn’t a mechanism, as far as I am aware, for an official body to say “ this increase is unacceptable”. In our society it has always been assumed that fair competition ensures prices are kept down. To my mind it is like an invisible cartel. They hsve put prices up by 11.2% , so we can/must/ will to.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:45 am

Back in the day....... (cue plaintiff violins)........when I was in retailing, I would expect retail buyers to take advantage of inflation by increasing prices and thus margins, even if an increased price from the supplier was not evident. The customer is expecting an increase, so why disappoint!

So, I agree with Katy, but as for "an official body to say “ this increase is unacceptable”", that is a step too far. Was there not a "prices and incomes board" back in the Callaghan government days? I don't think that ended well.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:06 pm

I think this is a time of opportunity, an opportunity to be greedy or an opportunity to take customers away from competitors. Aldi and Lidl have done a lot of damage to their competitors, there are bound to be more companies coming along with the same idea.