Dish of the Day on Spanish T.V

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
concorde
Resident

Dish of the Day on Spanish T.V

Postby concorde » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:56 pm

Have just returned from 2 weeks in Granada, and was trying to learn some spanish language by watching local T.V.
One of the most compelling programmes for me was to watch a cookery slot at 7.45pm.
I would quite happily try and identify the list of ingredients but then was dismayed to see them made up into an absolutely appalling mess of sludge.
The highlight of the show was watching the presenter trying desperately not to sample them.
When mentioning this to some friends they just laughed and said if food couldn't be deep-fried then it would be boiled to smithereens.
Ready, Steady Cook it ain't but I found myself having to watch it.
Before I get shot down in flames I know there is good Spanish cuisine somewhere, but not apparently in T.V. land, could just imagine Gordon Ramsey's face.

pdellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pdellis » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Have thought similar to you on many occasions.

Now I would quite happily eat Tapas & traditional Spanish dishes ( indeed we do try our hand at cooking 'local' dishes), but I have to say, in the majority of cases the presentation leaves much to be desired, whether it be in restaurantes or on TV

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:14 pm

Try watching the morning cooking section on Vivir y Sabor, or something like that :? much healthier and doesn't look like a pile of sludge either :D

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Thanks pdellis, it's a bit like the emperor's new clothes story, lots think the same but no-one is willing to speak out , in fear of being shot.
I agree with the tapas, warm prawn toast, giant gambas, lots of gorgeous sausages and all for free!
Our local favourite bar-owner gets most upset if we refuse tapas, although I must admit some of the fattier versions, i.e, lard with a millimetre of pork tend to get fed to his dog, which is the size of a hamster but is always hungry.
Thanks Cassandra, we did catch a programme about 3p.m. and the chef didn't spoil the wonderful fresh fish.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:23 pm

The most popular Spanish chef Karlos Arguiñano does a daily menu on T.V. with of copy on his web. http://www.karlosnet.com/default.htm
but you are spoiled for choice as all the T.V.chanels have at least one cooking programe..concorde..cant imagine what recipe you saw.. I think that Spanish cooking is great...and never seen absolutely appalling mess of sludge you mention.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:49 pm

Thanks for the great website Silver, will try and translate some of the recipes now I am back in the U.K and on-line.
As our Spanish casa is a holiday home I don't really intend to do a great deal of cooking out there especially since I have no oven so most things tend to be hob cooked.
Can't remember offhand what channel I watched but it had a logo of Espana Direct. They did use an enormous quantity of olive oil and did fry or boil most of the ingredients and in some cases did both in one dish.
May have tasted O.K. but did not look appetising in the least.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:56 pm

Good site Silver. Will be busy downloading and adding the recipes to the database. Means a lot of translating though
Thanks again

Fred