Ginger Wine: Starting the Search Early

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:43 pm

Are Aldi in Spain?
Yes, but our nearest store is quite a distance away. I have a friend who goes there though and I will get them to check it out.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:05 pm

oooh, sandra, there is an Aldi 20mins from us. i´ll be paying them a visit on Monday as that sounds rather delicious!! will now go put it on my shopping list..... :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Sandramay wrote Are Aldi in Spain? Here in the UK they have an excellent brand of ginger wine........ Dales, traditional green ginger wine, 13.5% vol.

Well, having got myself excited to be having one of these drinks this week, i made the trip to Aldi...only to find they dont stock it! Does anyone know if it is only available in Aldis in England, or is it just my Aldi that is out of it. The "helpful" staff didnt seem to know! Thanks.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:40 pm

I can look at my local Aldi here when I'm next in. Haven't had ginger wine for donkey's years! I have found with Lidls that they do have slightly different stock from country to country, and usually only have things that will be very popular to the local community it serves (hence the German beers and bratwurst, and Heinz ketchup in our one on the Costa .... :wink: )

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:33 pm

oooh, Heinz ketchup!!! luverrrlllyy!! Even though where i live is practically all spanish, our local Mercadona stocks that, (and heinz bake beans) now. i love all the spanish foods (despite recently finding out that i am allergic to garlic), but it is nice to have bacon, eggs, and beans etc now and then (with the obligatory ketchup), especially at this time of year. :lol:

Don

Postby Don » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:37 pm

Try supersol also Karen for Heinz baked beans and maybe even Heinz ketchup. They seem to be stocking a lot of british orientated products and at prices to beat Carrefour and Corte Ingles.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi Don, thats where we used to get the englishy bits, over in Costa Tropical, but there are no Supersol´s that i know of, my way, Don. :cry:

.:JONTY:.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby .:JONTY:. » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:35 pm

I thought that Eroski were taking over all the Supersol outlets!
A sense of humour is the lubricant of life's machinery

Don

Postby Don » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:24 pm

Karen, Supersol used to be in Sanlucar but still in Espartinas and popular to boot. From you come off at top of highway hill, towards Sanlucar but when you hit old road dont go into Sanlucar but right towards Espartinas and at first roundabout you have Supersol.

And others too in same site.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:44 am

karandjon wrote:despite recently finding out that i am allergic to garlic
Ohh you poor thing! How does it affect you??? I put garlic in everything and would hate to be allergic to it.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:22 pm

Hola Karen, I've spoken to the manager of my local Aldi (to warn his company of a possible influx of customers in Spain all wanting ginger wine) :) After his initial bemusement he told me that the company is divided into two sections, North and South and that they do not necessarily stock the same items :(

However I've scrutinised the bottle lable and the wine is produced and bottled in the UK by Halewood International Limited, Liverpool L36 6AD UK www.halewood-int.com They should be able to tell you if they have stockists in Spain. You could always set up as their distributor. :lol: Alternatively I can bring you a bottle out........ won't trust the mail :evil:
Sandramay

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi Sandra, liked the "mail" comment :wink: - i think they must have read this posting this morning!!Will email you tomorrow. :lol:

Wicksey - since living in Spain, for the past 4&1/2 years, i´ve had a red rash come up on certain parts of my face and takes weeks to fade (you cant feel anything when you touch the area, but from a distance, looks like a great big spot)!! I absolutely adore garlic, and like yourself, used to put it in everything. Also, when eating out at restaurants i used to enjoy ordering something that i wasnt sure what it was;i found this one of the biggest joys of living in Spain. Now, when eating out, i have to ask what is without garlic, :cry: , which just isnt quite the same! I have the rash at the moment and the only 2 things I´ve had out of the ordinary in the past 2 days are a chinese take-away and a tin of red peppers! :cry: :cry: My mum is allergic to garlic, but she can take an anti-histimine before eating it and her allergy doesnt come up!!This, unfortunately, has no affect on me! :(

Karipentti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Karipentti » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Jackpot!

Good old Simon is going to have his first lot of Stone's come in on Friday (you better check with him first at 951 262653). C/ Torrox in Los Boliches (off Avda Salinas). Cost: 6.90 euros.

http://www.onestopfoodsuk.com/
Things could be worse...