Current recommendations to buy

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Don

Current recommendations to buy

Postby Don » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:37 pm

OK, so it has occured to me that some of us search out "the something special" when trying to conjure up tomorrows dish. Some days I find something good but mostly wonder what could be "just around the corner" so wouldnt it be good to share foody things we have found lately to help others in their search?

I am still searching this year for really good spuds, good enough for perfect bakers but so far no go.

What I have found is:

Mercadona - marinated pork joint (comes with plastic mushroom sauce mix) which is around the 10 euro mark but after a 3 hr slow roast is fantastic meat for at least 4 or 6 people. Good hot and cold, thoroughly recommended.

Carrefour in past couple of weeks have started a surtido of mushrooms. 4 types of fungi in an economic pack with champis, setas, sh it aki and bolletus. Plus nearby another (long stemmed - cant recall the name) variety to make up a 5 mushroom dish. {I dont believe it but A.com bleeps out the proper japanese name for sh 1 taki mush}

El Corte Ingles have just put on their shelves little packs of four wonderful fungi varieties plus the old champis and setas again making a varied fungi dish possible. Normally their "huge" packs of champis and setas are too big to use before they get past it.

and so far Lidl is the only place to get bread mix.

... anybody else got some recommendations ?

laclotte
Resident

Re: Current recommendations to buy

Postby laclotte » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11 am

Don wrote: Mercadona - marinated pork joint (comes with plastic mushroom sauce mix)?
Just wondering if the plastic mushrooms are tasty :?: :wink: :wink: :wink:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:26 am

The plastic mushroom sauce was no so bad once it been given some treatment :D

Just remembered I used to have a plastic toadstool garden ornament as a child for my wee bit garden :oops:

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:48 pm

We usually have Marks & Sparks new potatoes for xmas, they are delivered over the wall by our neighbours, this year I don't expect them to be in prepacked bags for Marks and Sparks as the packing is now done Portugal :D

Don

Postby Don » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:13 pm

Was picturing someone in grey and white suit with bag labelled SPUDS or SWAG climbing over your wall on christmas eve. Now if he had been wearing a michelin man costume and a red bobble hat .......

Karipentti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Current recommendations to buy

Postby Karipentti » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Don wrote:

and so far Lidl is the only place to get bread mix.
What is "bread mix"?

Just wondering...
Things could be worse...

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:15 pm

Bread mix is a pre mix of all the dry ingredients needed for baking a loaf. They come in many forms ie with grains, seeds, different types of flour etc

You only need to add the req amount of water.

Karipentti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Karipentti » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:42 pm

I was afraid you'd say that.

I prefer to choose the ingredients myself when baking bread.
Things could be worse...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:12 pm

pilgrim wrote: We usually have Marks & Sparks new potatoes for xmas
You can get new potatoes now - look for "patatas para guarnación". Delicious just scrubbed and cooked & served in their skins....we had some t'other day with a salmon steak (15 mins in 150 oven, in buttered foil packets with a little s&p and a slice of lemon) and bobby beans.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:24 pm

Karipentti, so do we BUT it is not easy find bread flours here and all the GIb/UK stock is gone till next visits.

Karipentti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Karipentti » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:31 pm

Val - living in Fuengirola-Mijas area certainly has some advantages. With so many ethnic stores and a couple of well-stocked health-food shops baking whatever comes to mind is a breeze!

We bake a lot of sourdough rye bread , which really makes you feel like "home".
Things could be worse...

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Sourcing it up here is not easy and a trip to Mijas is a fair drive there and back. We tend to pick it up in UK when up or Gib for re stock of sausages etc and a haircut ! ( also a good excuse for a wander round our wedding venue)

I really need to find an english speaking hairdresser nearer home though, i know some woman travel miles for theirs BUT all the way to Scotland or Brussels is a bit TOO much every 4/6 weeks :)

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:38 pm

Last year we bought some bread mix from Lidl, 3 different kinds, very good value. The only problem was two of the packs had weevils so we will only mix our own now. Orange & walnut bread is wonderful, except that it doesn't last very long, and you get slapped if you cut bits off while it is still hot.

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:54 pm

Hey, I dont get slapped if I cut a hot bit off fresh out of the oven.
OH loves a little nibble.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:23 pm

:lol:

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:26 pm

Oy, do you want butter on that ?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:31 pm

on what ? we have no cake left :(

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Cake, what cake?
I was talking about the bit of dried up fish cake for supper ?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:38 pm

none of them left either :roll:

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:42 pm

Oh bug...ger !
.... then do ya want butter on a cracker?

Or is there no cheese left either? Did it go the way the cold mashed potato went ?